Let’s be honest: our talent level is bottom 15 in the league

Swanny

Reaction score
Qb- middle of the road
RB- great
WR- One of the worst units in the league
TE- Witten is a backup at this point and there’s no other starting caliber TE on the roster
OL- IF Tyron is healthy it’s still a very good unit. Big if and there is still 1 starter missing
DL- Getting better, but still middle of the road. 1 tech is still (perpetually) missing. Depth is also an issue behind the injury prone Lawrence.
LB- Yuck. just yuck
DB- Young CB’s are a breath of fresh air, but is there a #1 guy amongst the group? Very debatable
S- Little to no talent here. Minimum 1 starter still needed. Heath is just barely passable enough but should also be replaced if possible.

Discuss
The NFL is designed so teams have holes. We have holes along with every other team in the NFL. As long as you don't have a hole at QB you have a shot every season. And we don't know if we have a hole at QB the next two seasons will tell us if we do or not.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Qb- middle of the road
RB- great
TE- Witten is a backup at this point and there’s no other starting caliber TE on the roster
OL- IF Tyron is healthy it’s still a very good unit. Big if and there is still 1 starter missing
DL- Getting better, but still middle of the road. 1 tech is still (perpetually) missing. Depth is also an issue behind the injury prone Lawrence.
LB- Yuck. just yuck
DB- Young CB’s are a breath of fresh air, but is there a #1 guy amongst the group? Very debatable
S- Little to no talent here. Minimum 1 starter still needed. Heath is just barely passable enough but should also be replaced if possible.

Discuss

Depends on how you look at it. you have some good point, but one can look at it the opposite way and say good things as well.
However this team there are more good than bad, but that is where this lame coaching staff comes in play. That difference between a win and a loss is on them, and there have been more losses than wins because of them.

QB-we don't know yet, but more good than bad. The bad being his accuracy, but there were circumstances that attributed to that. Lets see if that improves.
RB-top 3 in the NFL easily
WR- I would not say one of the worst, well without Dez it is a huge drop off. But this is a wait and see, they could be better than many think, but they are not one of the worse.
TE-Witten is not a back up, but he does need less plays, should be cut in half. His plays, not Witten...LOL...
OL- yes, depth is a big problem, but they addressed some of that. The key here is can someone emerge or be drafted to get them back to form. This is where the new OL coach can help. Look at the talent, not injuries, as it is a given for any position that injuries can derail an entire unit. and this is for most teams, not just us.
DL - yes, getting better, and agree , we been missing that 1-tech for years, which shows you how stupid this FO and coaching staff is. Just ignore it, plug a guy in. But they do seem to be better than they have been for a very long time.
LB - yes, yuck, but with a stub LB from the draft and 2 more for depth, they can be decent, depending Smith and his 2nd full year. Wilson is not as bad as many think
CB- a very pleasant surprise, and with Jones now moving to CB, they are pretty well set.
S- yes we need help here, Heath is serviceable as a back up, but not a starter, Frazier was coming around, and Woods showed promise. But still need help.

So maybe our record is middle of the pack, our talent is not. Remember this team still have most of the players that went 13-3 in 2016 with 2 rookies leading the way. Too bad the coaching staff blew it against GB, but GB did defend some of those over used gadget plays very well. Their coaches won that game for them.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And even that KC win was during their mid season funk, when everybody was doing it. I'm not disregarding it entirely, it was still impressive and a pleasant and unexpected surprise, but I'm saying that the Chiefs suffered several losses during that mid season swoon and got their act together again later in the season.

But it's the closest thing to a "quality win" that this team had in 2017, and even the biggest homer knows it.

However, do not forget that game had the most stupid defensed play in the history of the NFL...just imagine if that play lost the game, especially if it was at the end of the game and not the half.

So even in a win, the coaches still showed stupidity.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Qb- middle of the road
RB- great
LB- Yuck. just yuck

Discuss
lol

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Qb- middle of the road
RB- great
LB- Yuck. just yuck

Discuss

I think this list is a bit on the pessimistic side, but it's not totally off-base either.

QB - Let's face facts, Dak Prescott stands at a career crossroads. He's not utter trash like some will claim, but he's not a proven franchise quarterback like other want to claim either. He needs to show exactly wjo he isn't in 2018. If he and the passing game don't improve this year, this team isn't going anywhere.

RB - Great talent? Sure. But it would be nice if he's actually available for 16 games, and it would be nice if it doesn't take him the first month of the season to get going.

WR - The group with the most to prove, even before they released their best receiver. Inevitably tied to the performance of the quarterback, this passing game has to be better, no matter how they get there.

TE - Witten needs to have his snap counts reduced significantly. I'm not writing off the whole group because, like all of the other TE's this team has had in the Witten era, nobody else gets a chance to show exactly what they can do. Give some of these guys the opportunity to show what they can and can't do and have an informed decision for the future.

OL - They still have the potential to be the league's best, but it will depend on two things - Smith's health, and finding a good left guard. People want to minimize Cooper's loss so they can feel better, but he helped solidify the line after Leary's departure, and the offense was playing well with him out there, until Smith went down. Hopefully, if called upon, Fleming is a better swing tackle option than Green or Bell were.

DL - A group with depth, but still lacking a true force at nose tackle. The Marinelli philosophy of minimizing that position and role needs to be changed.

LB - I think they need to draft a number of players to restock what is obviously a paper thin (and aging) group. But not in the first round of the draft. Not for a guy who will play 30% of the time I feel he's lucky. But they owe it to the player and the investment to play Jaylon Smith a lot.

CB's look like the strongest position group on the defense right now. The corners look strong and deep.

S - Potential and question marks. While I'm eager to see what Woods and Frazier can do, I'd also like to have other options ifthey can't handle the starting roles.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
However, do not forget that game had the most stupid defensed play in the history of the NFL...just imagine if that play lost the game, especially if it was at the end of the game and not the half.

So even in a win, the coaches still showed stupidity.

Yeah, that was "Football Follies" level stuff.
:laugh:

Ddisco22

Reaction score
Qb- middle of the road
RB- great
LB- Yuck. just yuck

Discuss
I think we have an above average team, we do have some good players. The coaching staff on the other hand are well below average and didn't know how to correctly utilize our strengths in the absence of other players.
We are below average at a few posistions
TE
DB
WR
The rest we can handle. It seems they are going with a different strategy this yr, work to Dak's strengths, so we'll see

Turkish-Cowboy

Reaction score
I am not a native English speaker so it might just be a nightmare for you to understand. Apologies..

QB: You are intentionally trying to downgrade a qb who won 9+ games respectively in the last two years. He is no Brady or Rodgers but a pretty solid QB who might excel in a better suited offense. We need to see what he has this year before bashing.

WR: Dez is a big loss, yet Hurns is more than Solid. We can utilize Switzer, too. Draft?

TE: We have Rico! Kidding aside, we didn't see anything of Rico after such a hype in the preseason last year. Maybe he turns up this year after two years of development.

OL: We still do have the best offensive line in the league. With the addition of Fleming, we already have the option to slide Lael back to LG, which would make the line a great one.

DL: With better rushers, the D-line gets better. We got some nice additions lately. A better Taco along with D-Law and Irving would be a solid core. Aaannnddd we still have a draft coming up!!

LB: I don't know how you can downgrade the position while you have a player in Lee. I unfortunately believe that Sean Lee gets more respect from others than the Cowboys Nation. Jaylon showed flashes at the end of the season last year. It is not easy to play after such a horrible injury and Jaylon has had to regain his confidence on his knee. We might just see a better Jaylon this year.

DB: Great prospects here. You can't have a word to say for this particular position, what's more, Byron just was just moved to CB which suits his skillset way better.

S: Yikes. Draft?

I am not going to whine until after the draft. There will be a number of cuts and trades down the road. We will be fine, buddy. ;)

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Qb- middle of the road
RB- great
LB- Yuck. just yuck

Discuss

QB - Who knows?
RB - Great talent but he was a 4.0 YPC guy last year. He goes as the passing game goes.
WR - The QB makes the wrs. So, again, who knows?
OL - Most talented group and the core of the team. We need Tyron healthy
DL - Irvin and DLAW are nice pieces. Not sure about the other guys.
LB - Sean Lee and thats about it.
DBs - Very young group but showed some promise.
S - Dog meat

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
This is like last year everyone beating their chest that we were a top 3 team and a Superbowl contender, now it is we are one of the worst teams in the NFL and going 4-12. :rolleyes:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is like last year everyone beating their chest that we were a top 3 team and a Superbowl contender, now it is we are one of the worst teams in the NFL and going 4-12. :rolleyes:

Split the difference and we're that same 8-8 we seem to always end up being.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score

No freaking way. I ready how Will,Stephen and especially Garrett has rebuilt the dream team of the 90's.. dang I hope the ignore guy adds some more guys to the "ignore" list.. lmao..

gregg where you at.. tell these guys how Garrett has rebuilt Wades team.. hurry.........

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

No freaking way. I ready how Will,Stephen and especially Garrett has rebuilt the dream team of the 90's.. dang I hope the ignore guy adds some more guys to the "ignore" list.. lmao..

gregg where you at.. tell these guys how Garrett has rebuilt Wades team.. hurry.........

tm1119

Reaction score
I am not a native English speaker so it might just be a nightmare for you to understand. Apologies..

QB: You are intentionally trying to downgrade a qb who won 9+ games respectively in the last two years. He is no Brady or Rodgers but a pretty solid QB who might excel in a better suited offense. We need to see what he has this year before bashing.

WR: Dez is a big loss, yet Hurns is more than Solid. We can utilize Switzer, too. Draft?

TE: We have Rico! Kidding aside, we didn't see anything of Rico after such a hype in the preseason last year. Maybe he turns up this year after two years of development.

OL: We still do have the best offensive line in the league. With the addition of Fleming, we already have the option to slide Lael back to LG, which would make the line a great one.

DL: With better rushers, the D-line gets better. We got some nice additions lately. A better Taco along with D-Law and Irving would be a solid core. Aaannnddd we still have a draft coming up!!

LB: I don't know how you can downgrade the position while you have a player in Lee. I unfortunately believe that Sean Lee gets more respect from others than the Cowboys Nation. Jaylon showed flashes at the end of the season last year. It is not easy to play after such a horrible injury and Jaylon has had to regain his confidence on his knee. We might just see a better Jaylon this year.

DB: Great prospects here. You can't have a word to say for this particular position, what's more, Byron just was just moved to CB which suits his skillset way better.

S: Yikes. Draft?

I am not going to whine until after the draft. There will be a number of cuts and trades down the road. We will be fine, buddy. ;)

Your English/grammar is better than most people born in this country...

The main things I disagree with are your take on Flemming and the Lb’s.

Maybe (hopefully) I’m wrong and Flemming is a starter. But a 26 year old OT that sits on the FA market for a couple weeks and takes a very low offer is a red flag to me. Apparently no one else in the league thought he was a starter

Lee is great no doubt, but he’s not available enough. Injury prone is a problem. And I disagree on Jaylon, he didn’t look like a quality NFL starter for any extended period of time last year. Maybe he takes another step forward this coming year, but we can’t count on that. We need at least 2 quality LB’s.