Let’s be honest: our talent level is bottom 15 in the league

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Let’s be honest: our talent level is bottom 15 in the league: wow so this means Garrett is the smartest, best coach in the NFL.. he's doing miracles with nothing.. lmao..

ICP

Reaction score
Main problem is the coaching, repetitive, vanilla playcalling, and an inability to make necessary adjustments during the flow of the game. I agree with your assessments of WR and S though. For me the jury is still out on TE, LB, QB though. I'd like to see what the Draft and Training Camp/Pre-Season show us.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like how you put all of that, so brass and so articulate. I'll say it one more time, same team = genius coaching. If you don't think this team has talent, then the coaching is genius.

I, for one thinks this team is talented and under achieved.

Say "same team" a million times if you like, it will never make it accurate.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Qb- middle of the road
RB- great
WR- One of the worst units in the league
TE- Witten is a backup at this point and there’s no other starting caliber TE on the roster
OL- IF Tyron is healthy it’s still a very good unit. Big if and there is still 1 starter missing
DL- Getting better, but still middle of the road. 1 tech is still (perpetually) missing. Depth is also an issue behind the injury prone Lawrence.
LB- Yuck. just yuck
DB- Young CB’s are a breath of fresh air, but is there a #1 guy amongst the group? Very debatable
S- Little to no talent here. Minimum 1 starter still needed. Heath is just barely passable enough but should also be replaced if possible.

Discuss
We have a great OL , RB with an average QB and defense.

That puts a little above .500. We will beat the average to below average teams and struggle against the more elite defenses and QB’s.

Until we have an elite defense and or QB all we are is a playoff contender not a Super Bowl contender.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
We have a great OL , RB with an average QB and defense.

That puts a little above .500. We will beat the average to below average teams and struggle against the more elite defenses and QB’s.

Until we have an elite defense and or QB all we are is a playoff contender not a Super Bowl contender.

Zeke was no where near great last year.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
Qb- middle of the road
RB- great
WR- One of the worst units in the league
TE- Witten is a backup at this point and there’s no other starting caliber TE on the roster
OL- IF Tyron is healthy it’s still a very good unit. Big if and there is still 1 starter missing
DL- Getting better, but still middle of the road. 1 tech is still (perpetually) missing. Depth is also an issue behind the injury prone Lawrence.
LB- Yuck. just yuck
DB- Young CB’s are a breath of fresh air, but is there a #1 guy amongst the group? Very debatable
S- Little to no talent here. Minimum 1 starter still needed. Heath is just barely passable enough but should also be replaced if possible.

Discuss
Man, I guess I'll stop watching.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You think the talent stinks and it doesn't. So in other words, you think this is a superior coaching staff.

Think.

Don't rush to, or invent absolutes. I never said "the talent stinks". And I challenge you to produce where I did.

And this is not "the same team" either. That's another absolute you're trying to make that's not accurate.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Im glad you are not running this team. Dak is a great great talent at QB. His strengths also include the use of his legs. 400 yards rushing and 8 rushing TD's is nothing to shake a stick at. And his leadership and poise are also things he excels at. Its a shame you dont see that.

Now if you are looking for a gunslinger like Rogers then you will be disappointed. Dak is NOT that type of QB. But we had one of those in Romo and where did that get us. Dak showed his rookie year what he can do with great talent around him. And he is only going to get better.

Aikman averaged about 200 yards and 1.5 TDs a game. And when the oline and run game around him faultered he was mud. But we won championships with him.

Waiting on the Rogers and Bradys of the world is a near impossibility.

We will just have to disagree on Dak. I don't think he is anywhere close to Great, let alone great great. I want a QB that can not only make all the throws but knows where to throw it, and when to throw it. Dak is not that guy. He has zero anticipation, which means he is not reading the D correctly pre snap, not seeing the field clearly on his drop back or he does not trust what he sees (which could be a growing as a QB issue more than talent). Maybe it was that he didn't trust his WR to be where he was supposed to be thing, I don't know. What I do know is that if a QB is waiting to throw the ball when the WR is open, that' won't work in the NFL. To me, Dak is at best a middle of the road QB. yes, if we surround him with great talent and a dominant D, he can be successful, but hell who couldn't in that situation. I want a QB that can rise to the occasion and ball out when things aren't perfect around him, make the rest of the team play better, look them in their eyes and say I got this, just follow me guys and then goes out and does it.

I personally don't care about stats or passer rating etc, So what Aikman did on average is useless to me. What I remember about Troy was that when the chips were down and we needed him, he showed up. He made the clutch throw, Mike made the clutch catch, etc. They were warriors. So far, Dak has been MIA when the team needed him to rise up.

But I will say that I hope you are right, because it appears we are going to tie ourselves to Dak for the foreseeable future. I was hoping to see another SB in my life time, but not sure that will happen if we waste another 10 years on this guy but we will see.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
No one said Philly had top 5 talent when the season started last year and now everyone is saying they are talented.

At the end of the day, these players are professional football players.

tm1119

Reaction score
I’m not sure if people just can’t do math and don’t understand what being 13-15th actually means...

Or for whatever reason people aren’t mentally mature enough to handle someone criticizing their favorite football team? Which just seems crazy to me...you can disagree all you’d like, just be able to articulate a valid counterpoint. Seems like almost everyone that strongly disagrees can’t :huh:? I honestly question how some people on this board actually function in real life.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Zeke was no where near great last year.

Neither was the OL. They took a step back last year and it impacted everything else, offensively. Having that damn suspension hanging over their heads, and ultimately losing Zeke for 6 games, didn't help matters.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Think.

Don't rush to, or invent absolutes. I never said "the talent stinks". And I challenge you to produce where I did.

And this is not "the same team" either. That's another absolute you're trying to make that's not accurate.
I like your fantasy world you live in, must be nice. Same team pal.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Discuss? You have downgraded our talent and exaggerated our holes.

I agree with you. I don't think the OP really considered how we compare to other teams, even though that's supposedly the premise of the thread. Other teams don't have ideal situations with a lot of their positions as well, and many of those don't have the stellar situations we have at RB and O-Line.

We were 9-7 last year, so that's not bottom 15, and while we lost some players, we gained some too, and have developing young players on defense, and still have the draft to add more.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Neither was the OL. They took a step back last year and it impacted everything else, offensively. Having that damn suspension hanging over their heads, and ultimately losing Zeke for 6 games, didn't help matters.

I agree. My point is, Dak gets destroyed for having a down year, but Zeke having a down year, he is overlooked and people still refer to him as being great.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like your fantasy world you live in, must be nice. Same team pal.

Denial_riverinegypt.jpg

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Can’t really argue with anything the OP has stated. Unlike most, I’m not worried about coaching as much this year as I am the QB. I’m a big Dak fan but this year will tell us a lot.
You are correct but opinions are what the forum are all about. He has stated what he believes. I believe Zeke will have an outstanding year and the db/secondary will be stellar if they stay healthy. Not sure about the LB situation. It all depends on how Mr. Drop foot is coming along. I think we should draft in this area, left guard and DLine. I also think not having Dez will hurt more than help this team. I could be wrong. I do believe we will win at least 10 games if we stay healthy at the core positions...qb, rb, lb and OLine. Give the Cowboys a healthy running game and they will be hard to beat.

jrumann59

Reaction score
La'el back to LG and Flemming to RT, that will fix the o-line. Dak had some rough games last year but the o-line had some really bad games so I will not give up on Dak just yet. Dak is 22-10 as a starter and that is with Zeke being out 6 games(3-3 without him), Dez missing what 3-4 games in 2016 (Dak won them all), Tyrone missing games.

Our defense was ranked #8 int the nfl last season and that was with all the struggles on the offensive side the ball. People call out Rod saying he cant coach, top 10 defense with Scandrick and a couple rookies in the backfield. Lets not forget Heath being one of his starting safeties.

I hope we dont but I can see us drafting a WR in the 1st. Cutting Dez is going to hurt our defense because we need to replace him with a high pick.

overall I think our team is much better than some claim.
With defenses crowding the line and muddying reads he has to beat that in other words throw it over ten yards from the pocket. Quit looking for Beasley on 7 yard options or witt on 5 yard options. Teams know the only true threat on the team is Zeke, bottle zeke and Dak looks like Bob Griffin.

visionary

Reaction score
We will just have to disagree on Dak. I don't think he is anywhere close to Great, let alone great great. I want a QB that can not only make all the throws but knows where to throw it, and when to throw it. Dak is not that guy. He has zero anticipation, which means he is not reading the D correctly pre snap, not seeing the field clearly on his drop back or he does not trust what he sees (which could be a growing as a QB issue more than talent). Maybe it was that he didn't trust his WR to be where he was supposed to be thing, I don't know. What I do know is that if a QB is waiting to throw the ball when the WR is open, that' won't work in the NFL. To me, Dak is at best a middle of the road QB. yes, if we surround him with great talent and a dominant D, he can be successful, but hell who couldn't in that situation. I want a QB that can rise to the occasion and ball out when things aren't perfect around him, make the rest of the team play better, look them in their eyes and say I got this, just follow me guys and then goes out and does it.

I personally don't care about stats or passer rating etc, So what Aikman did on average is useless to me. What I remember about Troy was that when the chips were down and we needed him, he showed up. He made the clutch throw, Mike made the clutch catch, etc. They were warriors. So far, Dak has been MIA when the team needed him to rise up.

But I will say that I hope you are right, because it appears we are going to tie ourselves to Dak for the foreseeable future. I was hoping to see another SB in my life time, but not sure that will happen if we waste another 10 years on this guy but we will see.

I'm a fan of Dak and hope he will become elite but he had one great year when no one knew his tendencies, then one below average year and was bad in games where the team needed him

So IMO the jury is still out on him