Let’s be honest: our talent level is bottom 15 in the league

tm1119

Reaction score
I agree with you. I don't think the OP really considered how we compare to other teams, even though that's supposedly the premise of the thread. Other teams don't have ideal situations with a lot of their positions as well, and many of those don't have the stellar situations we have at RB and O-Line.

We were 9-7 last year, so that's not bottom 15, and while we lost some players, we gained some too, and have developing young players on defense, and still have the draft to add more.

“We went 8-8...you can count that last “win” if it makes you feel better, but the Cowboys were about as 8-8 as it gets last year. And there were 16 teams with winning records last year not counting the Cowboys. That puts us dead in line with a few teams being 15th or worst in the league if you’d like to look at it that way.”

Already answered that on the 1st page.

I guess I should have worded the title different for everyone so no panties got in a bunch? There are 32 teams in the league, being 16th is dead smack in the middle of the league (aka 8-8 team). I’m saying that we are right in line with the teams that are in the middle of the road in terms of talent. So if you strongly disagree with me you have to be saying that the Cowboys are in the upper echelon of the league in terms of talent. And if you look up and down this roster right now and honestly believe...yeah, well I don’t know what to tell you.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I agree. My point is, Dak gets destroyed for having a down year, but Zeke having a down year, he is overlooked and people still refer to him as being great.

Lots went wrong last season, especially in the second half of it. Year three of Dak + Zeke will be telling - are they 2016 or 2017?

It would help to put the best possible team around them, too. Best of luck to us.

Jipper

Reaction score
i dont know how anyone can say what our talent is or isnt, thats about as subjective a comment as possible. We ended up a middle of the road team last year and are one of the younger teams in the nfl. Additionally, the most "talented" roster is rarely the one that wins it all.

This is yet another thread to stir the pot, get people riled up and bridge the gap between now and the draft....

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Qb- middle of the road
RB- great
WR- One of the worst units in the league
TE- Witten is a backup at this point and there’s no other starting caliber TE on the roster
OL- IF Tyron is healthy it’s still a very good unit. Big if and there is still 1 starter missing
DL- Getting better, but still middle of the road. 1 tech is still (perpetually) missing. Depth is also an issue behind the injury prone Lawrence.
LB- Yuck. just yuck
DB- Young CB’s are a breath of fresh air, but is there a #1 guy amongst the group? Very debatable
S- Little to no talent here. Minimum 1 starter still needed. Heath is just barely passable enough but should also be replaced if possible.

Discuss
That's where they placed last season and if you buy that "you are what your record says you are" then yes, the Cowboys are at the top of the lower 15...........in 2017.

There are too many unknowns about this 2018 team to make that call now. Start with what the draft might bring, the maturation of the young secondary, the makeup of the DL, the progress of the 3rd year LB and above all, the QB.

One thing we've learned about the NFL is that we can't look at what was and project what will be. The Cowboys are incomplete at this time and we don't even know the final roster. I am too busy being disappointed in 2017 to project that onto 2018.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Qb- middle of the road
RB- great
TE- Witten is a backup at this point and there’s no other starting caliber TE on the roster
OL- IF Tyron is healthy it’s still a very good unit. Big if and there is still 1 starter missing
DL- Getting better, but still middle of the road. 1 tech is still (perpetually) missing. Depth is also an issue behind the injury prone Lawrence.
LB- Yuck. just yuck
DB- Young CB’s are a breath of fresh air, but is there a #1 guy amongst the group? Very debatable
S- Little to no talent here. Minimum 1 starter still needed. Heath is just barely passable enough but should also be replaced if possible.

Discuss
bull.
we'll win the East.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Qb- middle of the road
RB- great
LB- Yuck. just yuck

Discuss
first off the Legue doesn't matter.. The NFC is all that matters and what we finished two games out of last years playoffs so we finished like 7th in the NFC and just missed the playoffs.. regardless of what you "Feel" 2018 is new year and a new schedule and most of your list is speculation..you know for fact our WR is the worst unit in the league, really?? you havent seen them or the ones we draft yet play? Wittens not backup hes just normal starter Vs a HOF elite player but his numbers arte still near the top 10 of TEs not considered elite.OL is top 5 DL again speculation we are good but can be better with the draft or Gregory coming back and Taco growing and we brought a decent guy in..Lbs yuck really i disagree we are missing one from last year and will draft LEE is one of the Best and Jaylon is coming along, Dbs are unkown S is the weAk point but if our Dline gets another stud like Vea payne or Hurst we wont need great safety play and it will help the young DBs..

but AGAIN ITS ALL PRE-DRAFT AND WAY TOO EARLY TO JUDGE THE ENTIRE TEAM AND HOW THEY ARE GOING TO PLAY IN 2018 ITS ALL KNEE JERK EMOTIINAL SPECULATION

aria

Reaction score
You are correct but opinions are what the forum are all about. He has stated what he believes. I believe Zeke will have an outstanding year and the db/secondary will be stellar if they stay healthy. Not sure about the LB situation. It all depends on how Mr. Drop foot is coming along. I think we should draft in this area, left guard and DLine. I also think not having Dez will hurt more than help this team. I could be wrong. I do believe we will win at least 10 games if we stay healthy at the core positions...qb, rb, lb and OLine. Give the Cowboys a healthy running game and they will be hard to beat.
I sure hope you’re right! I’m admittedly slightly more pessimistic aboutthis season than last, including with Zeke’s suspension. Dak has me a little on edge but I’m by no means giving up on him yet. I’m also not sold on the secondary because it’s too early to tell IMO, just like I wasn’t sold on Dak after the first year. I agree with the rest of what you said.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Bottom 15? So right about 15 or else you'd have said bottom 10 or bottom 5.

So about average?

Sure whatever.

tm1119

Reaction score
Bottom 15? So right about 15 or else you'd have said bottom 10 or bottom 5.

So about average?

Sure whatever.

Hey, someone gets it! Yes, I’m saying the team is extremely average in terms of talent currently on the roster.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Qb- middle of the road
RB- great
LB- Yuck. just yuck

Discuss
So you say discuss and then insult anyone who disagrees...gotcha.:facepalm:

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Qb- middle of the road
RB- great
LB- Yuck. just yuck

Discuss
This thread has no talent.

tm1119

Reaction score
first off the Legue doesn't matter.. The NFC is all that matters and what we finished two games out of last years playoffs so we finished like 7th in the NFC and just missed the playoffs.. regardless of what you "Feel" 2018 is new year and a new schedule and most of your list is speculation..you know for fact our WR is the worst unit in the league, really?? you havent seen them or the ones we draft yet play? Wittens not backup hes just normal starter Vs a HOF elite player but his numbers arte still near the top 10 of TEs not considered elite.OL is top 5 DL again speculation we are good but can be better with the draft or Gregory coming back and Taco growing and we brought a decent guy in..Lbs yuck really i disagree we are missing one from last year and will draft LEE is one of the Best and Jaylon is coming along, Dbs are unkown S is the weAk point but if our Dline gets another stud like Vea payne or Hurst we wont need great safety play and it will help the young DBs..

but AGAIN ITS ALL PRE-DRAFT AND WAY TOO EARLY TO JUDGE THE ENTIRE TEAM AND HOW THEY ARE GOING TO PLAY IN 2018 ITS ALL KNEE JERK EMOTIINAL SPECULATION

ONE of the worst WR Corp, not the worst.
And Witten would be a solid starter...if it was 1998. It’s 2018 and we are playing in the Stone Age with a slow TE that can’t make plays down the field.
There is also no evidence Jaylon is improving as a football player. He was bad at the end of year last year despite what everyone keeps saying. There was a thread a couple of weeks ago on this board that showed that.

And last time I checked everyone else in the league gets to draft too...

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Hey, someone gets it! Yes, I’m saying the team is extremely average in terms of talent currently on the roster.
Well the problem is your framing. You didn't say we had "average talent." You said we had "bottom 15" talent. Starting the conversation off unnecessary negative.

And then in almost every position group you discussed you put the absolute worst case spin.

When you present a debatable opinion in an extreme way you shouldn't be surprised at the resistance you receive. You're not a victim here.

blindzebra

Reaction score
ONE of the worst WR Corp, not the worst.
And Witten would be a solid starter...if it was 1998. It’s 2018 and we are playing in the Stone Age with a slow TE that can’t make plays down the field.
There is also no evidence Jaylon is improving as a football player. He was bad at the end of year last year despite what everyone keeps saying. There was a thread a couple of weeks ago on this board that showed that.

And last time I checked everyone else in the league gets to draft too...
A thread based on an opinion from a guy who hated the pick showed what exactly?

Otto65

Reaction score
Qb- middle of the road
RB- great
LB- Yuck. just yuck

Discuss
I agree with most of it. OB has potential to be very good. Zeke is top 3-4 in the league. WR- little below average TE-Witten needs to retire. OL-need two more players there. Smith will always have a back problem DL-needs some help LB-Lee is hurt too often DB-should be better this year. Plus new coach will help S-Derwin James would look good here Coaching-Garrett needs to retire. Marinelli and Linehan should also retire

tm1119

Reaction score

Who did I insult? If anything I’ve been the 1 being insulted based on my opinions. I’ve asked for rational discussion and most have been incapable of doing so.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Who did I insult? If anything I’ve been the 1 being insulted based on my opinions. I’ve asked for rational discussion and most have been incapable of doing so.
Sure you did. Use hyperbole, take offense at the reaction it causes, and then play victim. That does not promote rational discussion. You got exactly what that type of OP called for.

tm1119

Reaction score
Well the problem is your framing. You didn't say we had "average talent." You said we had "bottom 15" talent. Starting the conversation off unnecessary negative.

And then in almost every position group you discussed you put the absolute worst case spin.

When you present a debatable opinion in an extreme way you shouldn't be surprised at the resistance you receive. You're not a victim here.

I shouldn’t have to explain simple math....

And “worst case spin” is your opinion. If you disagree with my opinion then state your opinion on why/where.

tm1119

Reaction score
Sure you did. Use hyperbole, take offense at the reaction it causes, and then play victim. That does not promote rational discussion. You got exactly what that type of OP called for.

What is hyperbole that I said? Seriously. Don’t blame me because you can’t handle someone making fair criticism of your favorite team.