Let Dak walk, Get Derek Carr this offseason?

perrykemp

Reaction score
For what it is worth PFF has Dak as the 17th ranked QB heading into 2019, Carr is 19th.

I'll take Dak over Carr however the reality is both live in that 10-20 middle tier of NFL QBs. Good enough to win a superbowl but not the kind of QBs who will carry you there.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
What do you guys think? Personally i'd rather have Carr, i think he can thrive in the right offense. Much like Amari, i think things have gone stale for him in Oakland and he needs a fresh start. Imagine this offense with a QB who can actually put the ball in the right place and not make receivers have to adjust when they are open. We can actually have potential 35 yard gains be 35 yards and not 18-20 yarders because the ball wasnt put in the right place...

Carr - 62.8% completions, 122 TDs, 54 INTs, 6.7 yards per attempt, 10.7 yards per completion, 88.8 passer rating

Dak - 66.1% completions, 67 TDs, 25 INTs, 7.5 yards per attempt, 11.2 yards per completion, 96.0 passer rating

So in your world, the first guy can "actually put the ball in the right place" to produce longer completions despite having a lower completion percentage, fewer yards per attempt, and fewer yards per completion? :huh:

erod

Reaction score
Carr - 62.8% completions, 122 TDs, 54 INTs, 6.7 yards per attempt, 10.7 yards per completion, 88.8 passer rating

Dak - 66.1% completions, 67 TDs, 25 INTs, 7.5 yards per attempt, 11.2 yards per completion, 96.0 passer rating

So in your world, the first guy can "actually put the ball in the right place" to produce longer completions despite having a lower completion percentage, fewer yards per attempt, and fewer yards per completion? :huh:
Stats always tell about 10% of the real story.

If stats are so telling, then why does literally nobody put Dak anywhere near the top 10 in the league.

Because it's laughable to say so. That's why.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Stats always tell about 10% of the real story.

If stats are so telling, then why does literally nobody put Dak anywhere near the top 10 in the league.

Because it's laughable to say so. That's why.

Ahh, the appeal to authority - a favorite logical fallacy on the internet. When facts don't support your feelz, go with your feelz and "expert" opinions. :muttley:

By the way, I said nothing about "top 10" anything. I demonstrated the flaws of suggesting Derek Carr can do things the evidence doesn't support.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
What do you guys think? Personally i'd rather have Carr, i think he can thrive in the right offense. Much like Amari, i think things have gone stale for him in Oakland and he needs a fresh start. Imagine this offense with a QB who can actually put the ball in the right place and not make receivers have to adjust when they are open. We can actually have potential 35 yard gains be 35 yards and not 18-20 yarders because the ball wasnt put in the right place...

omg. derek carr freaking stinks. dak is safely a better QB. wow.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Dak ranked 14th in QB rating last season . (Not top tier)

Carr ranked 18th . (pretty close to Dak)

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
"But...but...a guy on TV said something that comports with how I feel about it, so that means I'm right." :lmao:

erod

Reaction score
Ahh, the appeal to authority - a favorite logical fallacy on the internet. When facts don't support your feelz, go with your feelz and "expert" opinions. :muttley:

By the way, I said nothing about "top 10" anything. I demonstrated the flaws of suggesting Derek Carr can do things the evidence doesn't support.

It's not an appeal to anything but simply understanding what I see. Statistics are easily manipulated to tell whatever story you want, regardless of the truth.

The two guys are polar opposites of the same problem. Carr is a physically perfect quarterback who struggles in the moment and doesn't command his offense all the time as he should. Dak is a leader of men who lacks the physical talents to fully run a complete NFL passing attack.

erod

Reaction score
Probably because Dak stat wise isn’t top 10 lol? And surely neither is Carr either lol.

I would gladly put Dak in the top 10 if he was a top-10 quarterback, and I wouldn't give a rip about what his stats were.

Aikman was, and his numbers didn't compare to others.

CWR

Reaction score
Sure, if Dak doesn't prove himself this season.

But don't you think we should wait and see first?

Yes wait and see, then if Dak comes up short pick up who ever can keep us competitive while we draft a franchise qb, wether that be Carr or Winston or Newton ect....

Im not saying he will fail, but if he wont sign early for a discount then make him prove it without Zeke.

sean10mm

Reaction score
Dak is good, but so are most backups.

Regardless of what you think of Dak, the bolded part isn't even remotely true. Almost all NFL backups are absolute and total trash.

And Cooper's stats blew up the second he had Dak throwing to him instead of Carr. Carr looks more like a "traditional" QB than Dak (read that however you want), but Carr's not, you know, particularly good at it.

Code:
Year    Age  Tm   GS  Rec  Yds  Y/R   TD  Lng  R/G  Y/G Y/Tgt
2018*    24 2TM   15   75 1005 13.4    7   90  5.0 67.0   9.4
*           DAL    9   53  725 13.7    6   90  5.9 80.6   9.5
*           OAK    6   22  280 12.7    1   36  3.7 46.7   9.0

sean10mm

Reaction score
I would gladly put Dak in the top 10 if he was a top-10 quarterback, and I wouldn't give a rip about what his stats were.

Aikman was, and his numbers didn't compare to others.

Actually Aikman's efficiency numbers were extremely good in his prime. Aikman is hardly the guy to cite as proving that stats mean nothing, since his stats mostly reflected how good he really was. The only way he lagged was in pure volume, which nobody thinks proves anything by itself... unless you found somebody to argue that Matthew Stafford is an all-time great because he hucked it over 700 times one season.