Let's assume Prescott is tagged

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
That doesn't mean Dak is gone. He can still prove himself. If he does, and the rookie is good, you have a heckuva trade commodity.

The Packers did it for years.

Mark Brunell, Koy Detmer, Aaron Brooks, Matt Flynn, etc......the Packers turned those guys into high draft picks during Brett Farve's tenure.

Then they drafted Aaron Rodgers with Farve still there.
What are you even talking about?

Brunell - Drafted in the 5th, traded for 3rd and 5th
TY Detmer - wasn't traded, signed with Philly as FA
Aaron Brooks - Drafted in the 4th, traded as part of a package where a third came back
Matt Flynn - wasn't traded, signed with Seattle as FA

The total of those 4 guys returned an additional third-round pick and what amounts as trading up from the 4th to the 3rd. You'd never even get that much of a return today.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Tag Dak and you can expect a less talented team.....It's not about 1 year and see what he does.
It's about paying a guy 30+ million for 1 season, meaning you cannot resign your key players this year, nor can you be active in free agency.
Using the franchise tag on a QB means you'd better have the draft of your life and everyone better play lights out and stay healthy next season.

garyo1954

Reaction score
I hope Bill Belichick wants Dak to the tune of $40 Mill. He's had the easy life with Tom taking a team discount for years now!

Break the bank Bill! Let me remind you what you said in November.....

“I mean, this guy can throw the ball,” said Belichick, whose team is preparing to host the Cowboys on Sunday at Gillette Stadium. “He’s very accurate. He’s got great poise in the pocket. Stands in there. He can extend plays and run if he has to, but he doesn’t do much of that unless he really needs to. He has great patience. Poise, discipline in the pocket, gets his eyes downfield. He’s a very good intermediate-to-deep-ball thrower. “He’s got good weapons, but he’s been super impressive. Just a great, great quarterback. Sideline throws. Inside throws. In-cuts. Posts. Over routes. Flag routes. You name it. Possession passes on third down. Best third-down team in the league. Best passing team in the league. Most big plays in the league. Where do you want to start? They do it all — and he does it all.”

https://nesn.com/2019/11/bill-belichick-is-massive-dak-prescott-fan-calls-cowboys-qb-super-impressive/

Let's put that money behind that mouth!

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'd take Tua at #17 even with Dak on board, cause that guy is the real deal. Unfortunately, if his medicals check out, he is going a lot higher than that. I wouldn't be willing to pay for the trade up.

Joe Burrow is the best quarterback prospect since Andrew Luck (seriously - look at the list of 1st round QBs since 2012 and tell me who was better coming out of college). The Bengals aren't trading him for anything.

Justin Herbert - is his ceiling really better than Dak?

Fromm - nope.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You take any QB in the first round, that means Dak is gone and you shouldn't even waste a tag on him. Put it on another player.
And if that QB is like Blaine Gabbert or Jake Locker you've killed any chance at success. It's really not as simple as you make it sound.

leeblair

Reaction score
Sign Case Keenum now so that Dak has incentive to work with the Cowboys.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I hope Bill Belichick wants Dak to the tune of $40 Mill. He's had the easy life with Tom taking a team discount for years now!

Break the bank Bill! Let me remind you what you said in November.....

“I mean, this guy can throw the ball,” said Belichick, whose team is preparing to host the Cowboys on Sunday at Gillette Stadium. “He’s very accurate. He’s got great poise in the pocket. Stands in there. He can extend plays and run if he has to, but he doesn’t do much of that unless he really needs to. He has great patience. Poise, discipline in the pocket, gets his eyes downfield. He’s a very good intermediate-to-deep-ball thrower. “He’s got good weapons, but he’s been super impressive. Just a great, great quarterback. Sideline throws. Inside throws. In-cuts. Posts. Over routes. Flag routes. You name it. Possession passes on third down. Best third-down team in the league. Best passing team in the league. Most big plays in the league. Where do you want to start? They do it all — and he does it all.”

https://nesn.com/2019/11/bill-belic...escott-fan-calls-cowboys-qb-super-impressive/

Let's put that money behind that mouth!

I've heard that the Patriots like Andy Dalton.

He'll be cheap too.

garyo1954

Reaction score
I'd take Tua at #17 even with Dak on board, cause that guy is the real deal. Unfortunately, if his medicals check out, he is going a lot higher than that. I wouldn't be willing to pay for the trade up.

Joe Burrow is the best quarterback prospect since Andrew Luck (seriously - look at the list of 1st round QBs since 2012 and tell me who was better coming out of college). The Bengals aren't trading him for anything.

Fromm - nope.

You won't be getting Christmas cards from Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, or Lamar Jackson with posts like this!

garyo1954

Reaction score
I've heard that the Patriots like Andy Dalton.

He'll be cheap too.

That's what I read. Just kidding on Bill a bit. He loves to talk the other team up. He had the chance to the draft Dak with a third when he chose.....surprise...Jacoby Brissett!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Fromm - nope.

Check out Jacob Eason.

I think he has the arm talent to potentially be #2 QB come draft time. Especially if Tua's inury causes concern.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
You take any QB in the first round, that means Dak is gone and you shouldn't even waste a tag on him. Put it on another player.

I wouldn't say it would be a wasted tag. Remember we just had a coaching change. I think Dak has the potential to do well under Mac. However if things don't work out, then (as mentioned in previous posts) you're not stuck with a 5 year contract... To me that's not a wasted tag. But yes, we need to draft another QB in the early rounds in case things fall by the wayside.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Personally, I think Cooper Rush is a joke. Dallas needs a better back up QB. Detroit's third string was better than him.

I would bring in a talented back up. Either sign one or try to draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd. Let MM see what he can do with both that guy and Dak. If the Dak supporters are right, Dak is going to blow that guy away and make it clear he is a franchise QB. Dallas will then have a quality back up and have to extend Dak. If the Dak detractors are right, Dak will struggle to win MM over and Dallas will know they don't have a franchise QB and not to waste big bucks on him. Dallas can then let Dak walk and start seriously looking for a franchise QB (if the new guy isn't it).

csirl

Reaction score
We'll be running a different offense next year. So there is no "continuity" argument in favor of resigning Dak - his knowledge will be no better than any new QB (and possibly less than a QB who has played WCO before).

There are also big risks with Dak. Whether you like him or not, there is a risk that he won't adapt.

Personally, I'd tag Cooper - want to see another year before I commit. Draft a 1st round QB and sign an experienced vet at a cheaper price than Dak will seek - Keenum, Dalton, Bortles, whichever QB the Titans let go etc etc (possibly get 2 of these at less than 10m per year combined to encourage competition)

mattjames2010

Reaction score
And if that QB is like Blaine Gabbert or Jake Locker you've killed any chance at success. It's really not as simple as you make it sound.

How the hell are you going to know if that QB is Blaine Gabbert or Jake Locker while they are on the bench? Are you going to be paying Dak $33 million to ride the bench? I'm not exactly sure what is difficult to understand here. The franchise tag is an immediate and guaranteed cap hit. It's a pricey one for a QB.

Not only would you be paying a QB a lot of money for a single season, you then just wasted your tag, and you also used a premium pick on a QB that you clearly view as your franchise guy. It is outright stupid to do this. Again, this is the hypothetical put forth in the OP - tagging Dak and grabbing a QB in the first.

cowboygo

Reaction score
What to do next?

The needs at all positions in the draft and FA are not known yet and one main one is what to do with Cooper and is Gallup really ready to move to #1WR? Some good WR's in the 1st round.

If they let Jones walk, does the 1st round need not become CB and the GM loves him some CB's in the 1st.

But what about QB? Who could fall to 17? Do they really roll the dice and go for Tua with Prescott on a 1 year tag? The Tua deal would be the most interesting but a gamble and a lot of draft collateral would have to be given up. The Lions, and it's not a given that they wouldn't take Tua and let Stafford walk in 21, would be the most logical trade partner to get above Miami at 5.

Or do they take their chances with one of the lesser star QB's like Herbert, Love, Fromm or Eason?

The other unknown in this is what does the new HC think about his comeback with Prescott as his guy for the next 3-5 years, knowing he's not likely to ever be Tier 1 and will need the team around him?

The bottom line question is this. Do you trust this FO with tagging the QB and making the right moves or just signing him to a 5 year deal and being done with it with fewer decisions to make?

I think the right move is to tag him and give him a year in Big Mike's system but the other moves that have to take place and their history with the QB position makes me lean toward that bird in the hand situation.

But his is not whether to tag him or not. The assumption is he is tagged, what are the next moves?
If we take a QB at 17.. please trade Dak and get a boatload of picks for the future.