Let's assume Prescott is tagged

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What to do next?

The needs at all positions in the draft and FA are not known yet and one main one is what to do with Cooper and is Gallup really ready to move to #1WR? Some good WR's in the 1st round.

If they let Jones walk, does the 1st round need not become CB and the GM loves him some CB's in the 1st.

But what about QB? Who could fall to 17? Do they really roll the dice and go for Tua with Prescott on a 1 year tag? The Tua deal would be the most interesting but a gamble and a lot of draft collateral would have to be given up. The Lions, and it's not a given that they wouldn't take Tua and let Stafford walk in 21, would be the most logical trade partner to get above Miami at 5.

Or do they take their chances with one of the lesser star QB's like Herbert, Love, Fromm or Eason?

The other unknown in this is what does the new HC think about his comeback with Prescott as his guy for the next 3-5 years, knowing he's not likely to ever be Tier 1 and will need the team around him?

The bottom line question is this. Do you trust this FO with tagging the QB and making the right moves or just signing him to a 5 year deal and being done with it with fewer decisions to make?

I think the right move is to tag him and give him a year in Big Mike's system but the other moves that have to take place and their history with the QB position makes me lean toward that bird in the hand situation.

But his is not whether to tag him or not. The assumption is he is tagged, what are the next moves?
Teams can use both the Franchise and Transition Tags this year; although it's highly likely that Dak is signed before having to use the tag on him.

They are highly likely to keep Cooper one way or another.

Adreme

Reaction score
....and you don't lock yourself down to a QB for $33 freakin' million when you know he's not your future.

Again, did some of you not read the hypothetical in the OP?

You franchise him or pay him and you can load up for a run with a tier 2 QB who you know can get the job done. If you do not pay him and elect to start you are saying that its likely all the talent you have right now is a waste of time and its likely going to take about 2-3 attempts to get the right QB so in about 5ish years they can be competitive at which point why pay anyone because the team will not be competitive.

If a team does not have a decent QB they have no chance in the playoffs unless they literally have every single other position filled to the brim with elite talent AND they get lucky. So if you have a decent QB you have to either pay him or accept that the team will not be winning anytime soon while you start over because you decided to let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Verdict

Reaction score
What to do next?

The needs at all positions in the draft and FA are not known yet and one main one is what to do with Cooper and is Gallup really ready to move to #1WR? Some good WR's in the 1st round.

If they let Jones walk, does the 1st round need not become CB and the GM loves him some CB's in the 1st.

But what about QB? Who could fall to 17? Do they really roll the dice and go for Tua with Prescott on a 1 year tag? The Tua deal would be the most interesting but a gamble and a lot of draft collateral would have to be given up. The Lions, and it's not a given that they wouldn't take Tua and let Stafford walk in 21, would be the most logical trade partner to get above Miami at 5.

Or do they take their chances with one of the lesser star QB's like Herbert, Love, Fromm or Eason?

The other unknown in this is what does the new HC think about his comeback with Prescott as his guy for the next 3-5 years, knowing he's not likely to ever be Tier 1 and will need the team around him?

The bottom line question is this. Do you trust this FO with tagging the QB and making the right moves or just signing him to a 5 year deal and being done with it with fewer decisions to make?

I think the right move is to tag him and give him a year in Big Mike's system but the other moves that have to take place and their history with the QB position makes me lean toward that bird in the hand situation.

But his is not whether to tag him or not. The assumption is he is tagged, what are the next moves?

I think Dak will improve under McCarthy’s guidance. We need to pick up a QB2. Hurts may be that guy in about the 5th round.

garyo1954

Reaction score
You franchise him or pay him and you can load up for a run with a tier 2 QB who you know can get the job done. If you do not pay him and elect to start you are saying that its likely all the talent you have right now is a waste of time and its likely going to take about 2-3 attempts to get the right QB so in about 5ish years they can be competitive at which point why pay anyone because the team will not be competitive.

If a team does not have a decent QB they have no chance in the playoffs unless they literally have every single other position filled to the brim with elite talent AND they get lucky. So if you have a decent QB you have to either pay him or accept that the team will not be winning anytime soon while you start over because you decided to let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Can't agree.

Jackson, Mahomes, Watson, and Goff have all come into the league in the last three years.

The move is on to start younger guys at QB and see what you have. If a guy is getting you where you want to go, pull the trigger and move on!

mattjames2010

Reaction score

If you tag him with any intent on drafting a QB in the first round, you already know he's not in future plans. So avoid taking that $30+ million cap hit and just sign a cheaper veteran QB as a stop gap.

Either we want to see if Prescott is the guy or we don't. It's an unneeded cap hit that can be spent elsewhere.

Adreme

Reaction score
Can't agree.

Jackson, Mahomes, Watson, and Goff have all come into the league in the last three years.

The move is on to start younger guys at QB and see what you have. If a guy is getting you where you want to go, pull the trigger and move on!

So was Dwayne Haskins, Daniel Jones, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen, Rosen, Tribusky, and Paxton Lynch who are all unquestionably worse and in many cases far worse (btw Goff was 4 years ago) and that is JUST 1st round QBs. Obviously the success rate falls off a CLIFF after that, but that is 8 who look like busts already. Goff is not in the same sentence as the first 3; I would take Wentz over Goff by a mile at this point. Murray showed flashes so I do not want to judge him yet, so lets right now we have 8 busts, 3 hits, and 3 pushes so again statistically you are getting worse at QB and that is JUST assuming you are as successful as you currently are at QB when the past 3 years were a rather lucky streak historically.

When people gamble people have a tendency to see the best-case scenario but failing horribly is far more likely when drafting a QB then a hit would be and while going for it is cheaper, you basically close the championship window for 4 years in the likely case that you are wrong. THIS is why people pay the QB, because the QB has not become one where it can be perfectly analyzed yet.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
What to do next?

First McCarthy has already stated publicly how much he likes Prescott and looking forward to what he can do with him. Second, both Jerry and Stephen have said publicly that signing Prescott to a long term contract is top priority. So based on all of the public statements the chances are less than zero that the Cowboys would waste any draft picks that are needed to fill other needs to move up and draft another starting franchise QB. Also both Jerry and Stephen have said that Cooper is also a priority to sign so Gallup will stay as a #2 receiver. I also think because of the history with McCarthy that Cobb gets at least another 1 year maybe a 2 year contract Because of that I think the Cowboys let Austin walk. I also think that Mccarthy will have a private talk with Witten and tell him he doesn't see him in any meaningful role with the Cowboys and give him the chance to them announce publicly that he decided to retire. That being said, I think that Jarwin will be the starting TE and the Cowboys will either draft another TE or sign some mid level free agent TE for a backup TE. Jarwin has proved he's able to get down field and catch the ball.

Now other than what I said about what McCarthy, Jerry and Stephen have said publicly the rest is just my opinion and I certainly could be wrong.

erod

Reaction score
Weren’t you sure about Baker Mayfield? :lmao:
Still am. Don't blame any player for Cleveland, Oakland, or Miami.

But Burrow is better than Mayfield all day. He's truly special.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

Luckily for Cowboys fans you're not the GM. I VERY seriously doubt the Cowboys feel about Prescott like you do that he could never lead the Cowboys to a Super Bowl win.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Still am. Don't blame any player for Cleveland, Oakland, or Miami.

But Burrow is better than Mayfield all day. He's truly special.
:laugh::laugh::laugh: A lot of QBs are better than Mayfield. He sucks.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You start spending resources to get more talent around him, he's not a guy that can succeed unless everyone around him is elite.

In the 2018 divisional playoff game against the rams it wasn't Prescott and the offense that let the Cowboy fans down it was the defense. In the previous week in the wildcard game it was Prescott and the Offense who drove down the field and scored a TD late in the 4th quarter to give the Cowboys a 10 point lead and again the defense let the sea hawks score a TD and a 2 point conversion in the last 2 minutes to make it a 2 point game.

cern

Reaction score
What to do next?

Interesting question . If we can't sign him and have to tag him , then my emphasis would be on finding the next franchise qb of the cowboys. Not an easy thing to do. But if we can't sign him before camp this year , the job becomes even more problematic than ever.

Adreme

Reaction score
Luckily for Cowboys fans you're not the GM. I VERY seriously doubt the Cowboys feel about Prescott like you do that he could never lead the Cowboys to a Super Bowl win.

Nowhere in my post did I say that like at all. My entire post was making the exact OPPOSITE point.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Why? Nobody is coming for Cooper. His preseason tape is terrible. We should just let him go and sign a capable veteran back-up.

I had to read the post about Cooper twice to make sure we were talking about Cooper the QB. No one and I mean NO ONE is going to rush to sign him. We are talking about the pre season Cooper I think.

FanSince71

Reaction score
Doesn't mean he'll be Drew Brees or Tom Brady.

There’s the rub, though, isn’t it? Are you really willing to give our entire draft AND Zack Martin for just a “really good” QB? I’m not.

There have been SO MANY guys coming out of college that looked like can’t miss QB’s. Of course, not many have had seasons like Joe Burrow in 2019. Colt Brennan from Hawaii in 2006 - 5549 yds and 58 TD’s. Case Keenum from Houston in 2008 - 5020 yds/44 TD’s, in 2009 - 5671 yds/44 TD’s and 2011 - 5631 yds/48 TD’s. My point is those guys aren’t great NFL QB’s... not even really good.

To put it another way... Drew Bledsoe was a really good NFL QB for most of his career, but I wouldn’t trade my whole draft for the guy.

Just playing devils advocate.

p.s. I’m not saying Brennan and/or Keenum were cant miss prospects. Just comparing statistical seasons.