Let's assume Prescott is tagged

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If he does get signed for a long term deal it hopefully would be because hes worthy of it. That salary he reportedly holding out for would be considered Elite money. In as much as the Wentz and Goff contracts have set the bar, its also been an eye opener as to making sure the money matches the talent. Franchise him (unless his demands go down) and draft for the future. I just dont see the risk in that

Think about what you're saying........You think enough of your QB to pay him $30M+ for one year but NOT 3 years or more. What happens after one year? The odds of drafting franchise QB with the 17th pick are low, real low. Hell look where Goff and Wentz were drafted, yet Dak is either neck and neck or has surpassed both, depending who you're asking. But the point the draft offers little or no guaranteed. At least we KNOW what we're getting from Dak. This is why I've said, let's lock him up under a 5/3 deal ( 5-years, 3-years guaranteed ). If MM doesn't like what he's seeing after a couple of years, he still has plenty of time to replace for a replacement.

Sydla

Reaction score
If you tag him with any intent on drafting a QB in the first round, you already know he's not in future plans. So avoid taking that $30+ million cap hit and just sign a cheaper veteran QB as a stop gap.

Either we want to see if Prescott is the guy or we don't. It's an unneeded cap hit that can be spent elsewhere.

The problem is timing.

So you let Dak walk and sign some journeyman as a stop gap. Then the draft comes and all hell breaks loose and the draft doesn't go your way and you can't get Burrow or Tua or Herbert.

Then what?

Also, the projected tag for a QB is expected to be $27MM, not $33MM. That's a pretty big difference as $6MM could be a good player.

I guess you could roll the dice, tag Prescott and he might not sign the tag, the draft comes and then you can pull the tag if you draft a QB.

glimmerman

Reaction score
At this time, I don't see Mahome's contract as factor coz Dak simply doesn't have as much post-season success. That why I see the ceiling for his deal in Goff range but well below Wilson.

Side note here...fans wishing they'd tag him should be careful. If you don't like his numbers now, good lord, what you think they'll look like he QB this team to NFCCG next season and that's a not a reach at all. Coz just lined him with one of the best vet head coaches in the game. Talk until you blue, guess who's going to the most credit.........the QB, that the system works.

It's why the best his critics can hope/accept is he's getting his deal but a 5-year, 3 year out is the floor IMO.
The 4 or 5 year deal with the 3 year out is what Dak wants so he can cash in twice. He knows the team and his stats are going to continue to be good or better.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
So you want to trade that much draft capitol for a 24-year old rookie QB??????
I wouldn’t want to do that much but if Dak is as good as some think why wouldn’t the Bengals take him our first and maybe first next year for the number 1 pick? I don’t know how the draft points work but that could work right?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I wouldn’t want to do that much but if Dak is as good as some think why wouldn’t the Bengals take him our first and maybe first next year for the number 1 pick? I don’t know how the draft points work but that could work right?

That works two ways.....if he's worth all that why trade him? (lol)

Philmonroe

Reaction score
That works two ways.....if he's worth all that why trade him? (lol)
I don’t think he’s worth that and I’m hoping to sucker someone and obviously hope behind closed doors the Joneses agree. I thought that was obvious guess not. It’s been posted now

shabazz

Reaction score
Could we not trade up and give that team Prescott?

Great point. If he has elite ability, like some say here, several teams should be ready to pounce on that deal. wouldn't they want this established ,young, Elite talent instead of rolling the dice on an unknown rookie......of course he would have to sign the tender to be traded

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
God agrees with me.

How many more signs does he need to send you?

That must have been a false God just like your false ideas. God told me that I don't have to worry about couch wannabe GM's.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great point. If he has elite ability, like some say here, several teams should be ready to pounce on that deal. wouldn't they want this established ,young, Elite talent instead of rolling the dice on an unknown rookie......of course he would have to sign the tender to be traded

Unfortunately for us, no one wants Prescott not even Jerry as it seems no new deal as of today.
Only way we move up is by trading picks or include a talented player like Martin,Zeke,Byron etc etc......should make for a very interesting Spring.
Pray that Burrow's pulls an Eli Manning on draft day and is a Cowboy fan.....lol...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is not about trading Prescott as the likelihood of that is extremely remote. It is about he is tagged as the Cowboys QB, what do they do next in FA and the draft?

If he's signed on a one year, and that has dropped from that 32.5M number back in December to 27.5, a significant difference. Do they spend a 1 or 2 on a QB?

If they haven't locked up Cooper or Jones, doesn't that set the first pick?

Do they have enough belief in Prescott to not take a QB in the 1st or 2nd and see where they are after 2020? They can tag him again, it will be more, and it could be quite a bit more if Mahomes, Jackson and Watson get extended. But they have that option and can get a QB in the 2021 draft.

The question is do you think this QB is good enough to get it done if they spend that 1st on a WR for him, maybe get TE in FA or trade, and use the rest of the draft and FAS on the D.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
This is not about trading Prescott as the likelihood of that is extremely remote. It is about he is tagged as the Cowboys QB, what do they do next in FA and the draft?

If he's signed on a one year, and that has dropped from that 32.5M number back in December to 27.5, a significant difference. Do they spend a 1 or 2 on a QB?

If they haven't locked up Cooper or Jones, doesn't that set the first pick?

Do they have enough belief in Prescott to not take a QB in the 1st or 2nd and see where they are after 2020? They can tag him again, it will be more, and it could be quite a bit more if Mahomes, Jackson and Watson get extended. But they have that option and can get a QB in the 2021 draft.

The question is do you think this QB is good enough to get it done if they spend that 1st on a WR for him, maybe get TE in FA or trade, and use the rest of the draft and FAS on the D.

Great reply Coach... By no means am I saying Dak isn't good. I think a lot of his faults aren't from him. I think it was the poor coaching (pre Kitna as I think Kitna did great with what little time he had. Don't forget Kitna only had a year to work with him). But Big Mac seems to think he can work with Dak. That's solely why I said to franchise him. This way if things don't work out, you don't have 3,4,5 years that you have to deal with that contract. I think things will work out and I hope he gets signed but personally, I feel not this year.

Take the chance of his price going up and if things do work out, pay the man the higher price. It's called rolling the dice... I still think we should draft another QB or get one in FA because personally, I think Cooper Rush is trash. But that's just my humble opinion.

J817

Reaction score
Allot of delusional posters today I see. Dak is the QB for the foreseeable future. Allot of you will have to just deal with that. There will no QBs drafted in 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounds. Idc if Dak is tagged or not. The tag will only be a stop gap for future negotiations.

What is crazy is, everything just I said in the previous paragraph every poster who posted in this thread already knows. You guys are insane.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Unfortunately I think we’re All In on Dak.

We will try to sign Cooper but I’ll be surprised if he wants to stay here. WR could be our 1st round pick.

And TE could be our 2nd round pick. Safety will fall in there somewhere pending who we resign.Resign Cobb.

We will try and sign Jones and Quinn relieving the need for drafts high on those positions.

Jerry basically believes this team is good enough to contend now and why ultimately a coaching change was made.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Seriously, I'd trade our 1, 2, 3 and next year's 1 for Joe Burrow. Whatever it takes.
Stop feeding the hype. Fans were saying the same thing about Tua last year. One good season and fans think he’s Tom Brady. I bet he doesn’t live up to the hype. He may be a very good QB but doubt he’s as good as some are saying.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s unfortunate because there’s some nice alternative picks we could draft in first round for a QB that would provide solutions if Dak doesn’t work out after tagging him.

But Jerry doesn’t like QB controversies or undue pressure on his guy. It’s why he didn’t draft Manziel. He said he would not draft Romo’s replacement until Romo was done .

Even in 2016 when everyone was pushing for a high draft pick on a QB with Romo attempting to overcome another season ending injury , Jerry deterred and ending up using a 4th round pick as more of a backup which wouldn’t created a QB controversy . Dak was never meant to be the heir apparent.

We will probably use a mid to late round pick for a backup or pursue a veteran backup in free agency.

Mike was hired to make the most of this roster not build a new one.