Lets Do a 1977

rcaldw

Reaction score
Guys,

I know what I am about to propose is not going to happen, but I sure wish it would.

As the 1977 NFL season was approaching the Cowboys knew that they needed a big time running back. The biggest was coming out of College that year, from the University of Pittsburgh, Tony Dorsett. The Cowboys put together a deal, got the Seahawks first pick, and took TD. The rest is history.

Man how I wish the Cowboys would go get VINCE YOUNG. All this talk about his wonderlic score is ridiculous. Have people already forgotten what they saw in that Rose Bowl game? Have they noticed the deep commitment that his teammates have to him? The guy is a LEADER, he is a WINNER, and he has abilities that no Qb before him as had.

Go get Vince.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Won't happen.

He didn't play baseball. We only draft QBs who played baseball now. Where ya been??? :D

rcaldw

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
Won't happen.

He didn't play baseball. We only draft QBs who played baseball now. Where ya been??? :D

:), well, I'm still a Henson hopeful, but I just think if you have a once in a decade chance to get a franchise QB, go get him. And I don't care what anyone says about Vince, he is the real deal.

TurtleTurds

Reaction score
i say vince young in dallas not houston could still be a texas native in dallas with the cowboys:cool:

rcaldw

Reaction score
dallasfaniac said:
How is picking a QB in the 3rd round comparable to Dorsett? :D

You don't seriously think that Vince Young is a 3rd round talent do you?

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
I would rather have Jay Cutler than Vince Young. Young has Ryan Leaf written all over him.

rcaldw

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
I would rather have Jay Cutler than Vince Young. Young has Ryan Leaf written all over him.

You couldn't be more completely wrong. And the comparison is completely out of the ballpark.

Ryan Leaf had a terrible attitude, couldn't handle pressure. Vince Young has a great attitude and THRIVES on pressure.

Jay Cutler is a combine player, period. He didn't do squat in College, not in the All-Star games, and he won't do it in the NFL either. He is an impressive physical talent, but he hasn't proven he can play QB.

Vince Young almost single handedly defeated an undefeated USC team.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
rcaldw said:
You couldn't be more completely wrong. And the comparison is completely out of the ballpark.

Ryan Leaf had a terrible attitude, couldn't handle pressure. Vince Young has a great attitude and THRIVES on pressure.

Jay Cutler is a combine player, period. He didn't do squat in College, not in the All-Star games, and he won't do it in the NFL either. He is an impressive physical talent, but he hasn't proven he can play QB.

Well, I watched Cutler play here in Nashville and he certainly can play. TO say that he hasn't proven he can play QB is absurd since he is skyrocketing up draft boards and even leaping Young.

But if you want to say that he hasn't proved he can play QB in the NFL then fine. But then neither has Young. Also, Cutler is much smarter. The NFL game is not as reactionary as it is in College. The game moves faster and you have to make fast decisions.

The Leaf comparison is good because like Leaf he is coming off a big bowl win, lots of media attention and while he might have a good attitude now, he will get big dollars in the NFL and with little brain power working for you, a guy has a tendency to become a moron, just like leaf.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Yeah, I was joking about Young, but I think you get the point:
rcaldw said:
the comparison is completely out of the ballpark.

Love on Young all you want, but to tell someone:
rcaldw said:
You couldn't be more completely wrong.
simply because Young had good college stats is pretty insane. College performance does not guarantee NFL performance.

Now I like Young and all, but only if he were to drop. We got other issues to work on, like getting some young receivers in here for a franchise QB.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
luis_1.jpg

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
rcaldw said:
Man how I wish the Cowboys would go get VINCE YOUNG. All this talk about his wonderlic score is ridiculous. Have people already forgotten what they saw in that Rose Bowl game? Have they noticed the deep commitment that his teammates have to him? The guy is a LEADER, he is a WINNER, and he has abilities that no Qb before him as had.

Go get Vince.

Man how I am so glad we won't.

Pokes28

Reaction score
The thing is that there are a TON of unanswered questions regarding Vince Young. This season Texas ran the run/pass option play like a gazillion times. It worked, so why not? But we have no clue whether VY can read a defense, scan the field, or even deliver the ball in tight coverage. He was so able to break down defenses with his legs that it always looked like he had receivers 5 yards wide open. Vince was rarely under pressure as a passer while at Texas. So how will he be when he has to deliver the ball in under 4 seconds or get plowed? All of these things we do not know.

Vince has a high bust potential. That doesn't mean he will be a bust. But there are more questions about his game than there are the other two first round QBs. But that is my opinion. I'm not too high on Cutler either. There simply aren't any franchise QBs that come from losing programs that I can name.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
Well, I watched Cutler play here in Nashville and he certainly can play. TO say that he hasn't proven he can play QB is absurd since he is skyrocketing up draft boards and even leaping Young.

But if you want to say that he hasn't proved he can play QB in the NFL then fine. But then neither has Young. Also, Cutler is much smarter. The NFL game is not as reactionary as it is in College. The game moves faster and you have to make fast decisions.

The Leaf comparison is good because like Leaf he is coming off a big bowl win, lots of media attention and while he might have a good attitude now, he will get big dollars in the NFL and with little brain power working for you, a guy has a tendency to become a moron, just like leaf.

Exactly!

Young can play football, that usually translates into something, but alot of what he strived on in college wont work in the NFL.

I think he can still crank out some impressive runs, there's alot of QB's in teh league that can. I see a problem in the fact that he's going to make alot of bad decisions throwing the ball. Alot of times in college he got by because the overall speed of the defenses werent that of the pro's. He wont be able to run around and just dink a pass away.

It's a different ball game in the NFL when you are facing the best every week. There are no slow LB's in the NFL, the DB's arent slow, and most are good tacklers.

I think he can suceed, but whoever winds up with him may have some serious frustration early on...I see him making more mistakes than alot of QBs.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
rcaldw said:
Guys,

I know what I am about to propose is not going to happen, but I sure wish it would.

As the 1977 NFL season was approaching the Cowboys knew that they needed a big time running back. The biggest was coming out of College that year, from the University of Pittsburgh, Tony Dorsett. The Cowboys put together a deal, got the Seahawks first pick, and took TD. The rest is history.

Go get Vince.

geez...what abilities that no QB before him had are you talking about? again, its runnning skills...the #1 thing a QB has to have is passing skills, and he doesnt have elite, or even good passing skills...he's never played in a drop back offense...he's never had to make complex reads

Vince Young is years away from helping anybody, if he's even able to help someone then I'll be surprised

there is no comparison to 1977 and this...we were a championship calibar team in 1976 missing one big ingredient, a big time RB...this team has a number of holes and Young fills none of the holes we do have

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
rcaldw said:
:), well, I'm still a Henson hopeful, but I just think if you have a once in a decade chance to get a franchise QB, go get him. And I don't care what anyone says about Vince, he is the real deal.

franchise QB's possess elite passing skills

he doesnt have even average passing skills

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
rcaldw said:

who cares? history is dotted with great college players that dont translate that to the NFL...Vince Young will be no different

nobody is going to put him in the simplistic, option style scheme he runs at Texas...he doesnt have good passing skills or quality passing mechanics and footwork....he's a running QB, and those guys dont make good NFL qb's

David

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Billy Bullocks said:
Exactly!

Young can play football, that usually translates into something, but alot of what he strived on in college wont work in the NFL.

I think he can still crank out some impressive runs, there's alot of QB's in teh league that can. I see a problem in the fact that he's going to make alot of bad decisions throwing the ball. Alot of times in college he got by because the overall speed of the defenses werent that of the pro's. He wont be able to run around and just dink a pass away.

It's a different ball game in the NFL when you are facing the best every week. There are no slow LB's in the NFL, the DB's arent slow, and most are good tacklers.

I think he can suceed, but whoever winds up with him may have some serious frustration early on...I see him making more mistakes than alot of QBs.

Wouldnt Vince Young be a Quincy Carter"New & Improved" type player. Just a little better. Not much. Not enough.