Lets Do a 1977

superpunk

Reaction score
trueblue1687 said:
Oh yeah, I had nearly blocked that out completely. I stand corrected.

You don't know how hard I've tried....but...the nightmares...they won't stop...

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
I like VY as a player and person, however, most(50%+) of his passes were dinks and dunks to the TE or RB. When he did throw down field it was typically a rainbow pass and a "jump-ball" at the other end - just like the Ohio State game. Ask Roy Williams of Detroit if he wants VY to be his QB of the future. And I too have seen most of VY's games over the last 3 years.

With that said, I would love to see the Texans take him because he could showcase his best ability - RUN! When put under pressure at Texas what would he do? RUN! When put under a little mental pressure of the Wonderlic what did he do? Layed a 6 egg. Then retook it and layed a 16. That's a combined 22. He's about half as "smart" as Michael Bishop with out the arm.

rcaldw

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
the problem you (and some others) have is you still dont want to realize there is a difference between college and pro, and success in college doesnt necessarily mean success in the pros...even QB's that come from advanced systems and quality coaching fail at a high rate in the pros, this guy (Young) is coming out of a school yard, option style offense...he doesnt have good mechanics, he does not throw the ball down field with accuracy or real zip, he has never had to exceute a drop back (in none of the games I have seen has he ever lined up directly under center, its always been the shotgun), he's also had the benefit of playing on a team loaded with NFL calibar players, in a conference that has been fairly down for several years....

and dont quote me "stats" either and try to show that he has great passing skills, because if stats were all that mattered every team would always draft a good QB

simply put this guy is not a Troy Aikman or John Elway type prospect, he is a prospect with alot of holes in his game that will need several years of work with NFL coaching before he is ready, and even then he may never amount to anything because its already been pretty much shown that quarterbacks that come into the NFL with his type of skill set, from his type of offense NEVER become quality NFL QB's...unless the NFL game is going to become more like Canadian football, those type qb's will never excel...

David

With all due respect David, I've been watching NFL football for a long time (probably like you), so I'm well aware that the College game doesn't translate directly into the pro game. As you can tell by my Aikman pictures, my favorite QB of all time was T.A. and he was the classic drop back passer, which I too, am most comfortable with. I am not, nor have I been, a fan of the Michael Vick type players. I couldn't wait for Q. Carter to get out of town fast enough. So we are probably on the same page regarding QB's. I just think VY is a little bit different in terms of his personality and make up, and that he can overcome the things he will need to overcome.

If he doesn't, he doesn't. I'm certainly not tied to the outcome emotionally in any way. I just think he could do well in Dallas. As I stated at the outset, its not going to happen anyway.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
juckie said:
would u want Vick now?I wouldnt.Same style.

completely agree. I think VIck's fall off last year with Atlanta hurts Young. Had this been last year, when Vick is coming off a NFC CHampionship game, I think people would have looked at Young alot differently.

In Young's defense, he is ALOT bigger than vick. He displays a big time arm, like Vick, but he has the height to really see over the line.

Right now Young is a run first QB. Like I said earlier, in the NFL, he will still be fast, but it won't be as glaring a difference. When you play against the freakish DE's, the fast LB's, and the hard hitting DB's, itll be alot harder to break off the runs, which I still believe he will be able to do.

All rookie QB's have a learning curve, but I can see Young needing extra time to get it. Now if he goes to Tennesse, that would be a good fit. Give him a chane to sit behind McNair for a few years, just like McNair did early in his career, and I think he has a much better chance. But then again, Tennesse has BIlly Volek, who I think is a pretty good QB.

Young has alot of things working against him.