Lets Do a 1977

Pokes28

Reaction score
Actually, if you review their college careers just looking at their passing ability, Carter was more NFL ready than Vince is at this point. Of course then Carter took nearly a season to adjust to throwing an NFL football (skinnier than the college one).

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
rcaldw said:
Jay Cutler is a combine player, period. He didn't do squat in College

you are undoubtedly blinded by your man-love for vince, did you see Cutler's numbers in the last 4 games, against some pretty, stiff competition? the man plays at Vandy for crying out loud, to do what he did was amazing, and that's what created the buzz about him, BEFORE the Senior Bowl

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
The price would be to high...

The Seahawks were a fledgling franchise back then and gotten taken to the woodshed on that trade...

Teams these days don't make those kind of foolish trades very often...

Oh... shout out to Mike Lynn and the Minnesota Vikings... :D

rcaldw

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
you are undoubtedly blinded by your man-love for vince, did you see Cutler's numbers in the last 4 games, against some pretty, stiff competition? the man plays at Vandy for crying out loud, to do what he did was amazing, and that's what created the buzz about him, BEFORE the Senior Bowl

I think you have more obsession with man-love than about anyone I see on this board. I can assure you that I haven't had man-love for anybody my entire life. I love my wife, and my kids. Forgive a serious response to another ridiculous post, but after awhile you get a little weary of MAN-LOVE being thrown out there toward anyone who disagrees with you.

I have read, and considered, every post in this thread that disagrees with my point of view. And you guys might be right. The truth is that lots of QB's play well in College and it doesn't translate into the NFL. But, I watched almost all of Vince Young's college games, and I can tell you he is different. He led the NCAA in passing efficiency. (i.e., he can throw a little bit), and it is the matching of PASSING SKILLS, with unreal SIZE (almost 6'6"), and SPEED, and ATHLETICISM, that makes him a unique player. I'm sorry, I think the Michael Vick's have blinded people to this guy's unique abilities, and I think I'll be proven right before its all said and done.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:

I heard that the knock on Cutler was that he played in a bad program. Should that really be considerd a "knock"?

rcaldw

Reaction score
YoMick said:
I heard that the knock on Cutler was that he played in a bad program. Should that really be considerd a "knock"?

Not at all. If that is all that Cutler has going against him, then by all means select him. But from what I had read (because I haven't watched Cutler as closely as some others), he had never really done that much at Vandy.

For example, Favre played at a struggling school in his college days, but he led them to UPSET WINS over strong programs. Cutler hasn't done that. (again, according to what I've read). Then I see the All-Star games and his statistics were horrible.

I may have overstated my case when I said "he is a combine player, period", because I haven't watched him enough to say that. But I was just putting what I've read together with what I've seen. I saw him play a little bit at Vandy, and I wasn't wowed. I read that this was his pattern at Vandy. Then I saw his all-star performance. And now everyone is moving him up their draft boards.

superpunk

Reaction score
1977? Wasn't there a game where a sabre toothed tiger ran across the field?

Cutler has horrid mechanics. But, so does Brett Favre. Cutler wold be a hell of a gamble. Watch some clips of him. You'll see him stepping toward the sideline for a throw down the middle, continuously throwing off his back foot, not getting his feet set to gun it, etc.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
rcaldw said:
Not at all. If that is all that Cutler has going against him, then by all means select him. But from what I had read (because I haven't watched Cutler as closely as some others), he had never really done that much at Vandy.

For example, Favre played at a struggling school in his college days, but he led them to UPSET WINS over strong programs. Cutler hasn't done that. (again, according to what I've read). Then I see the All-Star games and his statistics were horrible.

I may have overstated my case when I said "he is a combine player, period", because I haven't watched him enough to say that. But I was just putting what I've read together with what I've seen. I saw him play a little bit at Vandy, and I wasn't wowed. I read that this was his pattern at Vandy. Then I saw his all-star performance. And now everyone is moving him up their draft boards.

Good insight. Thanks.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
superpunk said:
1977? Wasn't there a game where a sabre toothed tiger ran across the field?

Cutler has horrid mechanics. But, so does Brett Favre. Cutler wold be a hell of a gamble. Watch some clips of him. You'll see him stepping toward the sideline for a throw down the middle, continuously throwing off his back foot, not getting his feet set to gun it, etc.

Not for nothing. If he is another Brett Favre. I dont want him.
Favre continually causes his team to big games. Yeah I know he is a wild one and has some good comeback games... but not in the playoffs... in playoffs he is an INT machine.... I would pass

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
rcaldw said:
I think you have more obsession with man-love than about anyone I see on this board. I can assure you that I haven't had man-love for anybody my entire life. I love my wife, and my kids. Forgive a serious response to another ridiculous post, but after awhile you get a little weary of MAN-LOVE being thrown out there toward anyone who disagrees with you.

I have read, and considered, every post in this thread that disagrees with my point of view. And you guys might be right. The truth is that lots of QB's play well in College and it doesn't translate into the NFL. But, I watched almost all of Vince Young's college games, and I can tell you he is different. He led the NCAA in passing efficiency. (i.e., he can throw a little bit), and it is the matching of PASSING SKILLS, with unreal SIZE (almost 6'6"), and SPEED, and ATHLETICISM, that makes him a unique player. I'm sorry, I think the Michael Vick's have blinded people to this guy's unique abilities, and I think I'll be proven right before its all said and done.

I watched alot of his games as well, and he isnt much of a passer...he doesnt have good passing skills an d he has horrible mechanics..further, I dont care what kind of "stats" he posted in college, nothing is as menaingless as a QB's passing stats in college because the vast majority of them never translate to success in the NFL...his passing "stats" are over inflated because the team he played on basically overmatched every single opponent they'd face athletically

in three years we can have this discussion again, but nthis guy is a HUGE project at QB and I'd bet the farm he never amounts to much of a QB in the NFL

David

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
Well, I watched Cutler play here in Nashville and he certainly can play. TO say that he hasn't proven he can play QB is absurd since he is skyrocketing up draft boards and even leaping Young.

But if you want to say that he hasn't proved he can play QB in the NFL then fine. But then neither has Young. Also, Cutler is much smarter. The NFL game is not as reactionary as it is in College. The game moves faster and you have to make fast decisions.

The Leaf comparison is good because like Leaf he is coming off a big bowl win, lots of media attention and while he might have a good attitude now, he will get big dollars in the NFL and with little brain power working for you, a guy has a tendency to become a moron, just like leaf.

No, Leaf didn't win when he came out. He lost out to Brian Griese in Rose Bowl. He did make it a good comeback of sorts in 4th quarter or so.

There is no comparison between Leaf and Young. Leaf had problems in College. Young, other than his machanics etc., never had any off the field issues. And absolutely there is no question as to who is the leader of Texas team.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
I watched alot of his games as well, and he isnt much of a passer...he doesnt have good passing skills an d he has horrible mechanics..further, I dont care what kind of "stats" he posted in college, nothing is as menaingless as a QB's passing stats in college because the vast majority of them never translate to success in the NFL...his passing "stats" are over inflated because the team he played on basically overmatched every single opponent they'd face athletically

in three years we can have this discussion again, but nthis guy is a HUGE project at QB and I'd bet the farm he never amounts to much of a QB in the NFL

David

If I were a betting man, I would have taken that bet. Second, his machanics are not that horrible. Now his throwing motion, that can be called bit horrible, if thats what you mean by machanics.

Heck, you could call, Phillip Rivers machanics more horrible than Young when he was college. And Phillip had the same issues, and still has the same issues in throwing the long ball as Young has. But he is better at going under the center etc. which Young hasn't been able to yet.

Either way, people seem to be lining up to bash on Young, forgetting, somehow this is not just one game hype. The guy has proven he can play highest level when the pressure is highest. That to me is worth more than any mesearuble I saw. Having said that, he would need couple of years of sitting on the bench before he is let on field. So that his machanics can be tweaked and corrected.

If not, then, I agree he maybe ending up a bust if he starts too soon.

rcaldw

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
If I were a betting man, I would have taken that bet. Second, his machanics are not that horrible. Now his throwing motion, that can be called bit horrible, if thats what you mean by machanics.

Heck, you could call, Phillip Rivers machanics more horrible than Young when he was college. And Phillip had the same issues, and still has the same issues in throwing the long ball as Young has. But he is better at going under the center etc. which Young hasn't been able to yet.

Either way, people seem to be lining up to bash on Young, forgetting, somehow this is not just one game hype. The guy has proven he can play highest level when the pressure is highest. That to me is worth more than any mesearuble I saw. Having said that, he would need couple of years of sitting on the bench before he is let on field. So that his machanics can be tweaked and corrected. If not, then, I agree he maybe ending up a bust if he starts too soon.

I agree with this. And in terms of his throwing motion (which I agree doesn't look pretty), we need to remember he's almost 6'6". So even if he dropped down side arm (which it isn't that pronounced), he is still throwing at a level higher than Romo, for example.

I just think that every year at this time guys climb draftboards as if what happened in College never took place.

Time will tell, but I think Young will be the exception when it comes to athletic type QB's, not the rule.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
Won't happen.

He didn't play baseball. We only draft QBs who played baseball now. Where ya been??? :D

Actually, we haven't drafted any Qb's that played baseball...or golf for that matter.

superpunk

Reaction score
trueblue1687 said:
Actually, we haven't drafted any Qb's that played baseball...or golf for that matter.

Q played baseball. Second rounder....

k19

Reaction score
rcaldw said:
Guys,

I know what I am about to propose is not going to happen, but I sure wish it would.

As the 1977 NFL season was approaching the Cowboys knew that they needed a big time running back. The biggest was coming out of College that year, from the University of Pittsburgh, Tony Dorsett. The Cowboys put together a deal, got the Seahawks first pick, and took TD. The rest is history.

Man how I wish the Cowboys would go get VINCE YOUNG. All this talk about his wonderlic score is ridiculous. Have people already forgotten what they saw in that Rose Bowl game? Have they noticed the deep commitment that his teammates have to him? The guy is a LEADER, he is a WINNER, and he has abilities that no Qb before him as had.

Go get Vince.

Dorsett was a proven player and difference maker. Young's an unpolished project whos wonderlic score equals sub literacy. I dont agree with moving up, especially THAT many slots but if you were to do it I'd rather take D'Brick, Mario Williams, or Huff :D

rcaldw

Reaction score
k19 said:
Dorsett was a proven player and difference maker. Young's an unpolished project whos wonderlic score equals sub literacy. I dont agree with moving up, especially THAT many slots but if you were to do it I'd rather take D'Brick, Mario Williams, or Huff :D

Whether we agree or disagree with each other, I'm amazed at some the statements that are made.

"Dorsett was a proven player and difference maker"

And Young isn't? Good night, folks, his team won the National Championship, and he, in a way that no one has ever seen before, almost single handedly made that happen. You don't call what he did in that 4th quarter being a difference maker?

Like him or dislike him, I don't know how anyone could say he isn't a proven COLLEGE PLAYER, because he certainly is. And I don't know how anyone could say he wasn't a difference maker. He was practically their entire offense at times.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
rcaldw said:
Whether we agree or disagree with each other, I'm amazed at some the statements that are made.

"Dorsett was a proven player and difference maker"

And Young isn't? Good night, folks, his team won the National Championship, and he, in a way that no one has ever seen before, almost single handedly made that happen. You don't call what he did in that 4th quarter being a difference maker?

Like him or dislike him, I don't know how anyone could say he isn't a proven COLLEGE PLAYER, because he certainly is. And I don't know how anyone could say he wasn't a difference maker. He was practically their entire offense at times.

the problem you (and some others) have is you still dont want to realize there is a difference between college and pro, and success in college doesnt necessarily mean success in the pros...even QB's that come from advanced systems and quality coaching fail at a high rate in the pros, this guy (Young) is coming out of a school yard, option style offense...he doesnt have good mechanics, he does not throw the ball down field with accuracy or real zip, he has never had to exceute a drop back (in none of the games I have seen has he ever lined up directly under center, its always been the shotgun), he's also had the benefit of playing on a team loaded with NFL calibar players, in a conference that has been fairly down for several years....

and dont quote me "stats" either and try to show that he has great passing skills, because if stats were all that mattered every team would always draft a good QB

simply put this guy is not a Troy Aikman or John Elway type prospect, he is a prospect with alot of holes in his game that will need several years of work with NFL coaching before he is ready, and even then he may never amount to anything because its already been pretty much shown that quarterbacks that come into the NFL with his type of skill set, from his type of offense NEVER become quality NFL QB's...unless the NFL game is going to become more like Canadian football, those type qb's will never excel...

David