Let's talk about Dak's restructuring

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
To be sure we are all on the same page........the only impact of his restructuring is he gets $29M of his guaranteed $31M salary right now as opposed to having it spread out over 17 games. It did not add any additional G-money or G-years to the contract. His contract still has no G-money beyond this season. I'm 100% confident he will not play one down without G-money. So in a sense, this is a contract year for Dak because playing for new guaranteed money and years from the Cowboys ( I dare to say elsewhere) but how much???? That's the trick question......lot will depend on this season but you count him and Todd France wanting something in the range of $45-50M.

• Current contract average $40M per year
  • Notice Spotrac puts his current value $43.9M ( this is probably close to what Stephen will offer unless we get to NFCCG or Super Bowl )
  • Just my take, but trade or release are NOT options unless there is a wide gap between what Dak and Todd think he's worth and Stephen drawing the line on what he will pay. Some may ask how this matter.......if we somehow miss the playoff with Dak playing all 17 games, it'll be huge.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-19089/market-value/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-19089/

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
so there were those who said, no team can win when the QB makes more than 15% of salary. now, its what? about 10%...

but I am sure those same people will point to next year and go, yeah, but next year its 25%.

the QB salary is not the reason we can't build the right team. its because of Jerry Jones. Dak is just a convenient player everyone wants to point a finger at. that's all.

glimmerman

Reaction score
The price goes up for a starting QB every time a good QB gets a contract. The salary cap goes up and skilled positions goes up. But if france wants 50 million I think JJ will say no. IMO only a brady type QB would deserve that. Teams would pay Dak 40-43. We will see this year what’s up. If he continues to throw picks and do it in big games then it’s time to go. But I think we go back to a 2016 type Offense.

btgboys41

Reaction score
It’s clear Dak will gladly be used as a bank for Jerry and co. It’s also clear he will get a new top level deal regardless of his play provided he does not suffer a significant injury.

I see no scenario where the sides can’t get a new deal easily sometime in the next year. Dak is committed to Jerry and vice versa.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
To be sure we are all on the same page........the only impact of his restructuring is he gets $29M of his guaranteed $31M salary right now as opposed to having it spread out over 17 games. It did not add any additional G-money or G-years to the contract. His contract still has no G-money beyond this season. I'm 100% confident he will not play one down without G-money. So in a sense, this is a contract year for Dak because playing for new guaranteed money and years from the Cowboys ( I dare to say elsewhere) but how much???? That's the trick question......lot will depend on this season but you count him and Todd France wanting something in the range of $45-50M.

• Current contract average $40M per year
  • Notice Spotrac puts his current value $43.9M ( this is probably close to what Stephen will offer unless we get to NFCCG or Super Bowl )
  • Just my take, but trade or release are NOT options unless there is a wide gap between what Dak and Todd think he's worth and Stephen drawing the line on what he will pay. Some may ask how this matter.......if we somehow miss the playoff with Dak playing all 17 games, it'll be huge.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-19089/market-value/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-19089/

It’s a slightly misleading terminology to say Dak’s salary is converted into signing bonus. Nothing actually happens to Dak’s money. Dak will get his normal salary every game for 17 games as if this didn’t happen.

All that changes is the way his salary hits the books. Jerry is allowed to write it off as a prorated bonus instead of an all-in-one cap hit in 2023. This is why the club does not need permission from the player to do this. If the way Dallas paid out money to Dak had changed in any way, they’d have needed his consent.

Qcard

Reaction score
so there were those who said, no team can win when the QB makes more than 15% of salary. now, its what? about 10%...

but I am sure those same people will point to next year and go, yeah, but next year its 25%.

the QB salary is not the reason we can't build the right team. its because of Jerry Jones. Dak is just a convenient player everyone wants to point a finger at. that's all.
:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

Qcard

Reaction score
It’s a slightly misleading terminology to say Dak’s salary is converted into signing bonus. Nothing actually happens to Dak’s money. Dak will get his normal salary every game for 17 games as if this didn’t happen.

All that changes is the way his salary hits the books. Jerry is allowed to write it off as a prorated bonus instead of an all-in-one cap hit in 2023. This is why the club does not need permission from the player to do this. If the way Dallas paid out money to Dak had changed in any way, they’d have needed his consent.
Preach Sir!!

Cowboys Office just pulled a lever in the Contract that Dak Prescott and Todd France where already cognizant of when Deal was signed 2 years ago...

This is just a Dog and Pony show!

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Not at all....Dak go out there and prove that the last 2 play-off exits,when he failed to lead the offense to a win despite having the ball with 3 minutes to go were just a double aberration.
I'd be delighted to be proved wrong. His 11.89 CAP% is still fairly high for a SB winning QB (unless you're Brady, Manning or Mahomes level)....but yes no excuses now.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
If reading the details accurately, the restructure sets Dak's cap hit and dead money as follows:

2023: Cap Hit $27.38M Dead Money $89.07M

2024: Cap Hit $59.38M Dead Money $61.69M

2025: Cap Hit $36.3M Dead Money $36.3M Void Year

So in looking at the numbers, my issue with the restructure is that prior to the restructure, Dallas in essence had an 'out' in that they would have had $39M in dead money with Dak but a cap savings of around $13M.
Now, because of the restructuring, Dallas can't get out of the contract until after 2024 so if Dak performs poorly again this season, and with the enormous cap hit in 2024, they will be forced to yet again have to restructure his deal.

So, the bottom line is that it appears Dallas is stuck with Dak for at least 2 more seasons and possibly more than that.

Qcard

Reaction score
:laugh: If reading the details accurately, the restructure sets Dak's cap hit and dead money as follows:

So in looking at the numbers, my issue with the restructure is that prior to the restructure, Dallas in essence had an 'out' in that they would have had $39M in dead money with Dak but a cap savings of around $13M.
Now, because of the restructuring, Dallas can't get out of the contract until after 2024 so if Dak performs poorly again this season, and with the enormous cap hit in 2024, they will be forced to yet again have to restructure his deal.

So, the bottom line is that it appears Dallas is stuck with Dak for at least 2 more seasons and possibly more than that.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
If reading the details accurately, the restructure sets Dak's cap hit and dead money as follows:

Sort of, but I can see next year Jerry/Stephen trying to play hardball with France...threatening to cut Dak as a post June (saving $34m).
When I say 'hardball' I mean a first pitch fastball followed by a hanging breaking concession to whatever France demands.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Sort of, but I can see next year Jerry/Stephen trying to play hardball with France...threatening to cut Dak as a post June (saving $34m).
When I say 'hardball' I mean a first pitch fastball followed by a hanging breaking concession to whatever France demands.
Agreed as Jerry & Co. have lacked a spine for some time now in regard to not caving to players contract demands.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
$47 million in cap hits for 2025-26 without the player actually on the roster.

That’s what really bothers me.

$36 million in 2025 without your quarterback on the roster.
The only silver lining is that we could kick some of the 2025 Void money into the Void 2026 year.