Let's talk about Dan Quinn

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
There are several issues to cover coz since there's a very good chance this is the year he leaves

• His current Cowboy contract expires in 2025 ( same as MM )
  • At least three teams have requested interviews ( Chargers, Panthers and Commanders )
  • We can certainly also expect a request from the Seahawks
  • His recent comment seems to suggest he's ready to move on for the right offer
  • Who will replace him as our DC? Will Jerry/MM go with an in-house candidate?
  • How many assistants will he take with him? Keep in mind Jerry can block an assistant under contract from interviewing for any job other than head coach
  • We can probably expect at least a few defensive free agents to follow him
  • Just my take, but it would not surprise me if his agent is already putting feelers out to see which team has a strong interest. (Hell I would )
  • Yes, it's already a distraction, regardless of what he says.
  • Will Jerry fire MM and promote Quinn to head coach?
Quick side note: I'm not sure he's THE TOP candidate to replace Carrol as some seem to think. This is from a nugget I read last week speculating Carrol's replacement if he resigned or was fired.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We can assume Jerry has his doubts about MM
I have no doubt if MM loses one of the next 2 he's gone, even if he screws up in the championship game he's gone. In which case Quinn stays, which is fine with me. Now my Charger fan son is hoping for a McClay, Quinn, and Moore reunion in L.A.
The league would love it too. IMO the Chargers would become a force in 2 seasons.
Harris as the new DC?
Anyway it's going to be a crazy month.
Hope for the best, whatever that is?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Now my Charger fan son is hoping for a McClay, Quinn, and Moore reunion in L.A.
I can def see this as a strong possibility .........they just interviewed KM for the HC job but could have also picked his brain about McClay and Quinn.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Dak is having a career year under the 1st season with MM running the offense, no chance they fire him over promoting Dan Quinn. This day and age, the league is all about the offense. No doubt, Quinn has done an excellent job as the team's DC, but hiring him as the team's HC would be a mistake.

Really not worried who Quinn decides to run his defense as most of the current assistants were originally hired by MM. Whitt has been with MM for years, coached under Quinn in Atlanta and has done the same here at Dallas. Believe he is the next in line to get the DC job here in Dallas. Don't think Quinn will force their hand as he always has been respectful.

Which players could we lose? Armstrong, Fowler, Kearse, Gilmore, maybe Hankins? Outside of Hankins, I don't believe the Cowboys have any intention of bringing these players back.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Dak is having a career year under the 1st season with MM running the offense, no chance they fire him over promoting Dan Quinn. This day and age, the league is all about the offense. No doubt, Quinn has done an excellent job as the team's DC, but hiring him as the team's HC would be a mistake.

Really not worried who Quinn decides to run his defense as most of the current assistants were originally hired by MM. Whitt has been with MM for years, coached under Quinn in Atlanta and has done the same here at Dallas. Believe he is the next in line to get the DC job here in Dallas. Don't think Quinn will force their hand as he always has been respectful.

Which players could we lose? Armstrong, Fowler, Kearse, Gilmore, maybe Hankins? Outside of Hankins, I don't believe the Cowboys have any intention of bringing these players back.
Do you think they will consider moving to a 3-4 scheme ( one MM had during his Packer tenure)

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

If they lose Saturday…I can’t say for certain Mike is brought back.

JBS

Reaction score

As always, this guy brings the hammer. Spot on. Absolutely no way you can fire MM and promote DQ

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
We can assume Jerry has his doubts about MM
I have no doubt if MM loses one of the next 2 he's gone, even if he screws up in the championship game he's gone. In which case Quinn stays, which is fine with me. Now my Charger fan son is hoping for a McClay, Quinn, and Moore reunion in L.A.
The league would love it too. IMO the Chargers would become a force in 2 seasons.
Harris as the new DC?
Anyway it's going to be a crazy month.
Hope for the best, whatever that is?
Do you think an established coach with a track record of success would be on such a short leash? People have their complaints about McCarthy, but his resume shows he's a great coach, and you don't fire great coaches so early into their tenure without a damn good reason, and hiring Quinn as HC is not that. I like Q, and if he leaves, I'll surely miss him, but McCarthy has something special brewing with Dak and I want to see how far we can take it.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Coordinators move on every year in the NFL to HC jobs. They take coaches with them. If Quinn is worth his salt as an ambitious competitor, he will depart for a solid opportunity to be a success at the highest level of coaching. Something that eluded him in the past and likely burns inside of him every day.

If Jerry fires McCarthy to keep Quinn, he is a bigger idiot than I thought.