Let's talk about Dan Quinn

Creeper

Reaction score
I sometimes think coaches get too much credit when things go right and too much blame when things go wrong. I believe Quinn arrived with the Cowboys at exactly the right time, after drafting Micah Parsons. IMO, Parsons is what changed this defense from what it was to what it is. Go back to when Quinn was the HC in Atlanta. They took a 28-3 lead over the Patriots in the Super Bowl only for his defense to blow it and lose 34-28.

Of course Quinn could have learned something by now but I still think it comes down to the players.

I am not taking anything away from Quinn, I am sure he is a better coach than most. But at the same time, Quinn needs players like any other coach. Look at Belichick. Maybe the right replacement for Quinn is already on the coaching staff, like Al Harris.

One thing I would not do is fire McCarthy to give Quinn the HC job.

conner01

Reaction score
I can’t believe they’d keep Moore or anyone hired under Staley but if that’s the case then yeah could be a potential suitor.
I wonder if he was hired by Staley or how much actual input he had in the decision. Don’t know the ins and outs of their decision making but lots of HC don’t necessarily decide on the OC hire

conner01

Reaction score
I sometimes think coaches get too much credit when things go right and too much blame when things go wrong. I believe Quinn arrived with the Cowboys at exactly the right time, after drafting Micah Parsons. IMO, Parsons is what changed this defense from what it was to what it is. Go back to when Quinn was the HC in Atlanta. They took a 28-3 lead over the Patriots in the Super Bowl only for his defense to blow it and lose 34-28.

Of course Quinn could have learned something by now but I still think it comes down to the players.

I am not taking anything away from Quinn, I am sure he is a better coach than most. But at the same time, Quinn needs players like any other coach. Look at Belichick. Maybe the right replacement for Quinn is already on the coaching staff, like Al Harris.

One thing I would not do is fire McCarthy to give Quinn the HC job.
Being a great DC doesn’t make you a great HC. I get DQ’s defensive thinking. Stop a teams passing game is more impirtant than stopping a teams run game. Few teams do well at both but that is ideal. But if I only have the roster to stop the run or pass I stop the pass everytime. Especially when I have an explosive offense that can stop the run by scoring

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you think an established coach with a track record of success would be on such a short leash? People have their complaints about McCarthy, but his resume shows he's a great coach, and you don't fire great coaches so early into their tenure without a damn good reason, and hiring Quinn as HC is not that. I like Q, and if he leaves, I'll surely miss him, but McCarthy has something special brewing with Dak and I want to see how far we can take it.
People and they national football league understand why McCarthy may not be all he's cracked up to be. Don't forget, there was nobody beating his door down when green bay fired him.
His success at GB was largely because of the blatant holding they were allowed to get away with for almost a decade, and a great QB.
The minute the NFL outlawed the "hug" technique MM had 2 bad seasons and was firedpl00p l 0⁰p00plplopplllĺpolĺlk
I can def see this as a strong possibility .........they just interviewed KM for the HC job but could have also picked his brain about McClay and Quinn.
I like KM as a OC but not sure about HC material lol

Kareemovweet

Reaction score
"IF" the Boys happen to lose to the Packers this weekend, and that's a BIG IF.. then let both go and bring in Belichick and let him pick his crew..

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
DQ will go to Seattle, and he will take Harris with him.

My guess is Quinn keeps the DC title, because his brand was so successful in Dallas, but Harris is named passing defense coordinator or something. Realistically, they will keep calling a similar scheme together.

I'd also REALLY like to see what Harris can do with coaching and scheming Devon Witherspoon. He's looking like a Polamalu-ish talent, as a small DB who plays aggressive far beyond his size. You give him the coach who taught Diggs and Bland how to temper all-out ball hunting aggression into sound defense, and oh boy.

Last edited:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
For those wanting DQ out, be careful what you wish for.

I'm sure Big Mac appreciates a guy like that who has been the HC, because he gives so much time now to HC AND OC. He can really just let the D be and do their thing. DQ can handle it.

As for a flawed defensive build, I think DQ and GM/Scout Dept. share that blame 50/50. But as fans used to a team where the GM is the owner, we don't even think about going that direction anymore. LOL

Not that it matters, it's a team game. If going to spend that much time pointing and blaming, might as well pack our bags and leave the Playoffs anyways. But... there is an accountability built into that other side on 31 other teams. LOL Just saying.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only DQ I want to talk about is Belt Buster with cheese and a small oreo blizzard....

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Will hate losing Quinn, but at least his influence here changed the scheme, this back seven is full of playmakers thanks to his influence.

exciter

Reaction score
We can assume Jerry has his doubts about MM
I have no doubt if MM loses one of the next 2 he's gone, even if he screws up in the championship game he's gone. In which case Quinn stays, which is fine with me. Now my Charger fan son is hoping for a McClay, Quinn, and Moore reunion in L.A.
The league would love it too. IMO the Chargers would become a force in 2 seasons.
Harris as the new DC?
Anyway it's going to be a crazy month.
Hope for the best, whatever that is?
12-5 3 consecutive seasons.
Offensive system humming in first season of implementation.
Only question with McCarthy is will the extension be for 3 or 5 seasons.
You don’t get to the status of Jones because you make decisions based of childish needs of self gratification!

JBS

Reaction score
How is it a downgrade? One coaches the offense and one coaches the defense. I don’t get how they aren’t equal?
What. So all head coaches equal to their DC? Assuming the head coach runs the offense. That makes no sense

Gambit

Reaction score
Dan is all but gone. Seattle I think has always been one spot he's had on his short list, there is the opening and mutual interest.

We should spend our time talking about who the new DC will be. The crew at Cowboys.com seem to think it will be Joe Whitt.

Gambit

Reaction score
on the Fan Broaddaus or however you spell it, still thinks Quinn and Mclay will be a tandem. If thats the case, I guess the question for Jerry is..

McCarthy or Quinn/Mclay

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What. So all head coaches equal to their DC? Assuming the head coach runs the offense. That makes no sense
I guess I’m confused because to my knowledge one guy runs the offense and one runs the defense. This offense was top 5 prior to Mike taking over it and this defense was *** prior to Quinn taking over so I don’t get the downgrade comment?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
on the Fan Broaddaus or however you spell it, still thinks Quinn and Mclay will be a tandem. If thats the case, I guess the question for Jerry is..

McCarthy or Quinn/Mclay
I heard him say that and I don’t get that at all. Since when did Quinn and McClay become so buddy buddy?