Lets talk about Rush connecting with receivers

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'm more interested in why Cooper can find open receivers and Dak cannot. That's very disturbing.

Dak likes separation and isn't a throw you open QB. The current crew aren't fast and aren't great route runners.

Coop doesn't have a cannon. He's been getting by with touch and placement his entire career. He's a good fit for a WR crew that requires that.

Dak may have had his worst game ever as a Cowboy. If it ain't the worst, it must be close. I wonder if it was the shades of Atlanta coming back to haunt us. He had a rookie and an UDFA backup on the left side. Probably made him antsy, and when he's antsy he plays poorly. It's not like Dak can never find open receivers. This was an uncharacteristically poor showing for Dak.

Swagger

Reaction score
I'm stoked for Cooper Rush and I hope he can keep it going. But when you strip it away he's barely a backup QB in the league yet is 2-0 in a team that Dak Prescott struggles so badly with.

It just makes it even more frustrating that we don't have a quality QB. If we had a top 6 or even top 10 QB in the league then we would be fighting it out for the #1 seed this season with a genuine Superbowl roster which the team also had last season yet fell short due to incompetent play from the offense particularly QB. It's evident now that Dak Prescott is the problem but due to his ludicrous contract he will come back in as the starter after recovering from injury.

So enjoy the team playing like a team whilst you can before the negativity returns.

The one caveat I will make is the front office made a terrible decision to not keep Amari Cooper. I have always been consistent with that. He's a genuine #1 and facilitated the best out of Lamb.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
we need to chill with Rush. he has played well enough but mistakes will come. he’s a backup for a reason. Glad he’s holding the fort down though.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Dak likes separation and isn't a throw you open QB. The current crew aren't fast and aren't great route runners.

Coop doesn't have a cannon. He's been getting by with touch and placement his entire career. He's a good fit for a WR crew that requires that.

Dak may have had his worst game ever as a Cowboy. If it ain't the worst, it must be close. I wonder if it was the shades of Atlanta coming back to haunt us. He had a rookie and an UDFA backup on the left side. Probably made him antsy, and when he's antsy he plays poorly. It's not like Dak can never find open receivers. This was an uncharacteristically poor showing for Dak.
Yep, and I wonder if Dak has a confidence issue as he, like ourselves, can see that he tends to throw behind and isn't able to predict or throw to where the receiver will be....he can only throw to the physical .....a bit like the yips in darts.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Well, it's easy to see that the Dak Boo Birds are having a picnic right now. Let's see how long it lasts! :grin:

It will only continue until those that make every excuse for Dak accept that the Offense worked better under Rush's guidance.
It's not saying that Rush is the better player, nor that Dak shouldn't regain his QB1 status when fit.... however we've seen what a QB can do with this limited WR Corp, O-Line and play calling.
Dak will, rightly, be given another chance.... but continued performances as against the Bucc's (not saying he will), will be pit squarely on his shoulders ....as we've seen what a replacement can do.
Whether Dak can step up, we'll wait and see, but undoubtedly the pressure will be on.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It will only continue until those that make every excuse for Dak accept that the Offense worked better under Rush's guidance.
It's not saying that Rush is the better player, nor that Dak shouldn't regain his QB1 status when fit.... however we've seen what a QB can do with this limited WR Corp, O-Line and play calling.
Dak will, rightly, be given another chance.... but continued performances as against the Bucc's (not saying he will), will be pit squarely on his shoulders ....as we've seen what a replacement can do.
Whether Dak can step up, we'll wait and see, but undoubtedly the pressure will be on.

There are several more games to be played before Rush is likely to seriously be considered as Dak's replacement. I'm certainly not one to make claims that Dak is deserving of being guaranteed an indefinite right to be the starting QB if he can't deliver better performances vs. good teams.

The Cowboys' front office isn't one to take Dak or their financial commitment to him lightly enough to award Rush his starting position anytime in the few weeks that remain on this season's schedule. If Dak returns to stink it up in much the same fashion that he did versus Tampa Bay, it may be entirely possible that serious reflections about replacing him could take place. In exclusion of that happening,

I can't see this FO moving in the direction of relegating Dak to the bench very soon. Their commitment to him financially and otherwise just doesn't ring as something they'll take lightly. I'm expecting to see them giving Dak every opportunity that they can to respect him. If he fails badly to justify being a starter, things may change. Anything's possible, that's a given.

Last edited:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Its no coincidence. A rusty Cooper Rush is moved up from the practice squad and clicks better with our receivers than Prescott. Rush lead receivers with anticipation and no back bending receptions. Cooper Rush was the one who lead the Cowboys over the Vikings last year with both Amari and Ceedee going over 100 yards+ receiving.

The fan in this gif has a Rush jersey on. Get it while its hot.

giphy.gif

I think that fan is Rush's dad. It probably helps Rush that he played in the preseason. So, he's well acclimated to the team. Something Dak should have been doing.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
He's rusty, but 1-0. The 40 million dollar golden child is 0-1.

No, I'm Rusty, he's Rush lol. I'm not sure Cooper Rush is that either way. He's played with the starters the whole Preseason. I think that's why he's got a good rapport with them.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
There are several more games to be played before Rush is likely to seriously be considered as Dak's replacement. I'm certainly not one to make claims that Dak is deserving of being guaranteed an indefinite right to be the starting QB if he can't deliver better performances vs. great teams. The Cowboys' front office isn't one to take Dak or their financial commitment to him lightly enough to award Rush his starting position anytime in the few weeks that remain on this season's schedule. If Dak returns to stink it up in much the same fashion that he did versus Tampa Bay, it may be entirely possible that serious reflections about replacing him could take place. In exclusion of that happening, I can't see this FO moving in the direction of relegating Dak to the bench. Their commitment to him financially and otherwise just doesn't ring as something they'll take lightly. I'm expecting to see them giving Dak every opportunity that they can to respect him. If he fails miserably to justify being a starter, things might change. Anything's possible, that's for sure.
You totally misread my point. It's not a matter of surplanting Dak, it's that in a situation where the Offense was so poor and you change one element resulting in a palpable improvement ....the pressure is definitely on Dak to perform.
Rush isn't the answer, but it gave us a glimpse of what our Offense CAN do without Dak.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
You totally misread my point. It's not a matter of surplanting Dak, it's that in a situation where the Offense was so poor and you change one element resulting in a palpable improvement ....the pressure is definitely on Dak to perform.
Rush isn't the answer, but it gave us a glimpse of what our Offense CAN do without Dak.

I may have somewhat carelessly been partly responding to previous posts about Dak being replaced. I basically agree with the fact that Dak isn't likely to be given anything resembling an indefinite guarantee of retaining his starting position if he doesn't deliver better performances vs. the tough teams when he returns. He'll possibly return just in time to be seriously tested vs. the Rams. That's going to be a test that could easily be what might put him in a really poor light. There will also be others that could threaten his ability to cope with the challenges he'll need to deal with. I'm simply not confident in Jerry and Stephen to do what should be done if Dak doesn't perform up to a high standard. Let's see what occurs first. Dak isn't quite what he was in years passed, so, with that in mind, anything's quite possible.

Last edited:

Cmac

Reaction score
cooper connected great with Cee Dee also . It is evident he throws and makes better decisions than dak. this issue won't go away now . Dak's cover has been blown. If jerry had not guaranteed his money he would be in pergatory
You do realize Eli Apple was in the Bengal secondary.......right?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I may have somewhat carelessly been partly responding to previous posts about Dak being replaced. I basically agree with the fact that Dak isn't likely to be given anything resembling an indefinite guarantee of retaining his starting position if he doesn't deliver better performances vs. the tough teams when he returns. He'll possibly return just in time to be seriously tested vs. the Rams. That's going to be a test that could easily be what might put him in a really poor light. There will also be others that could threaten his ability to cope with the challenges he'll need to deal with. I'm simply not confident in Jerry and Stephen to do what should be done if Dak doesn't perform up to a high standard. Let's see what occurs first. Dak isn't quite what he was in years past, so, with that in mind, anything's quite possible.
Totally agree with the mistrust of the Jones to do the right thing....but the rubbish throwers have further evidence that Dak (and his injuries and drop off in performance) maybe a central cause of the problem.
As with his game play where he appears now to struggle under the pressure (of Defense and command) I wonder if Dak can step up.... but the ball's in his hands.

Hadenough

Reaction score
They dropped three interceptions that I thought they were going to get. He did well enough to win. But not well enough to beat out Prescott yet. And that’s not saying much
Those near interceptions would of been sacks of Prescott. At least Rush throws the ball when pressured instead of waiting for a WR to be clearly wide open by 4 steps.