Let's Talk About The Eagles

Dre11

Reaction score
No you don't want the head coach overriding the OC a lot during a game. Agree with that.

But in key spots where you think a mistake is being made? Hell yeah. And in the end, if there are bad play calls during a game, it doesn't matter who is calling the plays, the ultimate responsibility always should fall on the head coach.

Who the heck knows when a mistake is going to happen? There was no mistake, because they've made the same call I'm sure before during the season and it worked. So you trust it would work again.
No, I don't agree a bad play call falls on the coach when you have an offensive coordinator who's calling the plays. That's his job, it's the head coach's job to critique his performance and proceed as he see fit. The coach then may fall on sword and take the blame, but in the coaching world we all knows that's "coach speak". Just as Garrett gives the fans his boring impression during press conferences, but folks behind the scene knows he's nothing like that.

Sydla

Reaction score
Who the heck knows when a mistake is going to happen? There was no mistake, because they've made the same call I'm sure before during the season and it worked. So you trust it would work again.
No, I don't agree a bad play call falls on the coach when you have an offensive coordinator who's calling the plays. That's his job, it's the head coach's job to critique his performance and proceed as he see fit. The coach then may fall on sword and take the blame, but in the coaching world we all knows that's "coach speak". Just as Garrett gives the fans his boring impression during press conferences, but folks behind the scene knows he's nothing like that.

This is just another insulate Garrett from criticism thread.

Of course one can see a bad play call coming. Why are some OCs better than others? Because they have a better feel for the game, they can adapt and almost guess what the opposing team is going to do, etc. Using your logic, all OCs are basically the same because no one can really tell if a play will work or not. It's all just random.

Ultimately, if the HC continually approves of what the OC is doing, and the team doesn't win, that's on the head coach. To suggest otherwise is strange but not surprising in this era of defend Garrett at all costs.

Flamma

Reaction score
the Pats are the NFL equivalent of ISIS. Eagles are the equivalent of Canada or Australia or France or something. A rival but not a true enemy.

The Eagles are in our division. The Patriots aren't even in the same conference. I hold no ill will towards a team simply as a result of their success.

Dre11

Reaction score
Again, until you've done it, you have no idea, even the ones you claim are better don't know, they are absolutely guessing the next play, and even that doesn't mean a run or pass will work. People only tend to point out the ones that don't.
To be honest, there is some randomness to it, because a a wrong call in a situation can work. It all depends if the D makes a mistake, or your player is just better than the other. In a coordinators mind, in theory, all their plays works.

Who says he approves everything the OC is doing, that you don't know. You don't know if he has all control the control over the coordinators.
What's strange is the folks talking outside both their mouth, on one hand they say he has no control and is a puppet, on the next hand he's blamed for everything the team does, which is it? Pick a side.

Sydla

Reaction score
So again, play calling and the results are just total randomness?

I can't have a serious conversation with someone who believes that there is little skill in play calling and that in reality, it's just mostly randomness and luck.

At that point, why even have an OC and pay him millions? Just let a kid do it or better yet a computer.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Hate the Eags but respect how they got totally out of a hole and into the kings chair with a few major changes they made in 2 years. Their FO kept churning until they found a winning formula and that's the way you do it.
Find a coach with a strong clubhouse presence and confident leadership, stack the defensive line and land a young play making QB and things come together. They are a confident bunch and they are not done.
Going to be a long year IMO.

Flamma

Reaction score
The Eagles picking up Jeffrey, Ajayi, and Nelson Agholor deciding to be the player he was meant to be really helped the Eagles a lot. How did Wentz do before all of that help? They already had a decent D and they turned an abysmal passing game around in one season. I really hope the Eagles crap the bed this upcoming season, but I don't see it. Oh yeah, and they added DE Bennet. I know he's getting older, but he has a lot of help around him. I see this team being just as good as last year if not better. Can someone tell me where they are weaker going into this season?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I hope there's a massive earthquake in Philly on their home opener. Then, a huge hole opens up and swallows all of the Eagles players, staff and fans.

JustChip

Reaction score
The Eagles picking up Jeffrey, Ajayi, and Nelson Agholor deciding to be the player he was meant to be really helped the Eagles a lot. How did Wentz do before all of that help? They already had a decent D and they turned an abysmal passing game around in one season. I really hope the Eagles crap the bed this upcoming season, but I don't see it. Oh yeah, and they added DE Bennet. I know he's getting older, but he has a lot of help around him. I see this team being just as good as last year if not better. Can someone tell me where they are weaker going into this season?
Well, offensive coordinator would be one place. It took Atlanta over half the season to get rolling last season after being virtually unstoppable the year before and their only real loss was the OC. That possibly cost them home field advantage which contributed to losing the Divisional game. Essentially, the Eagles are the Falcons of the previous year. They'll be a force, but it's over-reaction to automatically hand them the NFCE.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am sure many of you, just like me, threw a temper tantrum when Brandon Graham swiped the ball out of Tom Brady's hands giving the Eagles their first title in forever and then in one moment, emboldened one of the more sad franchises to take a step forward and win a Super Bowl.

Thoughts for their upcoming season and how it relates to the Cowboys?

I am watching the replay of the Atlanta playoff game on NFLN now. Good stuff to watch.

People cried for years about the Cowboys salary cap.

Now the Eagles are bottom 2 in cap space for the combination of 2018, 2019 and 2020.

They went All-In and it worked. It's a dangerous method because if it fails then the team is limited for many years. They were incredibly lucky with the backup QB.

They have 2018 to go for it again and then they will have legit cap issues.

The Cowboys always had cap space in future years to push money forward but the Eagles future years are compromised.

Summary: They went all-in and it worked. I'm sure we would all take a Super Bowl win regardless of future consequences.

75boyz

Reaction score
I don't like the Eagles, but I disagree that the Eagles are the worst Super Bowl team this decade. On the contrary, I think they're probably the most complete team to win a title in recent years.
Likely excellent QB play, elite in the OL (comparable to Dallas) & DL, good back 7, good weapons on offense.

Nice post
totally agree. The 9-7 and 10-6 world champ Giants are the worst champs I have seen and my SB viewership extends back to watching our wild card super bowl 10 loss against the steelers.

Tyree catch and manningham throw

Strahan, Tuck and Osi in one...
Fluke year JPP, Tuck and Osi in the other

3 excellent pass rushers and 2 fluke throws determined those 2 championships

Flamma

Reaction score
Nice post
totally agree. The 9-7 and 10-6 world champ Giants are the worst champs I have seen and my SB viewership extends back to watching our wild card super bowl 10 loss against the steelers.

Tyree catch and manningham throw

Strahan, Tuck and Osi in one...
Fluke year JPP, Tuck and Osi in the other

3 excellent pass rushers and 2 fluke throws determined those 2 championships

Totally agree with the 9-7 Giants. But I'd put the 2012 Ravens in there over the 2007 Giants. I know the Ravens got there and won, I just didn't think there team was all that special. The 2007 Giants on the other hand did beat the 13-3 Cowboys and 13-3 Packers away to reach the SB and beat an 18-0 team. They didn't just get hot in the playoffs, they were a totally different team.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
The Eagles were desperate last year and gambled on a few pickups that worked out. They did the same in previous years that completely blew up in their face (Dream Team 1 and 2). Just the previous year they lost their RT and the season went down the toilet.

JustChip

Reaction score
Totally agree with the 9-7 Giants. But I'd put the 2012 Ravens in there over the 2007 Giants. I know the Ravens got there and won, I just didn't think there team was all that special. The 2007 Giants on the other hand did beat the 13-3 Cowboys and 13-3 Packers away to reach the SB and beat an 18-0 team. They didn't just get hot in the playoffs, they were a totally different team.
Except the 2007 team was 4-4 over the last half of the regular season, including 2 of their last 3. They had previously lost both games to the ‘boys and their regular season game to the Pack. They got hot and roiled with it just like the 1986 Twins. Add to it some very lucky breaks in the SB like the Tyree catch & Assante Samuel dropping a gift INT.

I’m not taking anything away from them because they did it, but it does illustrate the importance of when you’re good and catching the breaks at the right time.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Well, offensive coordinator would be one place. It took Atlanta over half the season to get rolling last season after being virtually unstoppable the year before and their only real loss was the OC. That possibly cost them home field advantage which contributed to losing the Divisional game. Essentially, the Eagles are the Falcons of the previous year. They'll be a force, but it's over-reaction to automatically hand them the NFCE.

I hear what you’re saying, but it’s not really the same thing. Quinn in Atlanta came from the defensive side of the ball so his OC is much more important. In Philly it’s Doug’s offense...and he’s the play caller. It’s sort of like with Sean Payton in NO. It’s his offense.

HungryLion

Reaction score
So again, play calling and the results are just total randomness?

I can't have a serious conversation with someone who believes that there is little skill in play calling and that in reality, it's just mostly randomness and luck.

At that point, why even have an OC and pay him millions? Just let a kid do it or better yet a computer.

It’s just more attempts to absolve Garrett of any responsibility.

There’s a reason he hasn’t won anything significant yet during his tenure.

And the insinuation that the person calling the plays doesn’t matter is hilarious. The cowboys might as well make me their OC then if that’s the case. I’ll do it for less than Linehan.

JustChip

Reaction score
I hear what you’re saying, but it’s not really the same thing. Quinn in Atlanta came from the defensive side of the ball so his OC is much more important. In Philly it’s Doug’s offense...and he’s the play caller. It’s sort of like with Sean Payton in NO. It’s his offense.
Good points. I guess for me is I’m not ready to anoint them Patriots 2.0 after 1 season. Let’s see a couple of years of domination first. I don’t think you’ll ever see a repeat of The Belichick Patriots or the Landry Cowboys.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Good points. I guess for me is I’m not ready to anoint them Patriots 2.0 after 1 season. Let’s see a couple of years of domination first. I don’t think you’ll ever see a repeat of The Belichick Patriots or the Landry Cowboys.

Neither am I....and I‘m an Eagles fan. I like where they’re at, but I’ve seen too many teams underachieve...and it’s just very difficult to remain that successful for a long period of time.