Let's talk fairly about Jeff Heath

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think most can agree Heath is not a top tier player, but outside that, opinions seem to range from being a solid starter to being terrible and some even suggest he may be the worst safety in the NFL.

We can fairly look at some flaws - sometimes he can take a bad angle to the ball carrier or receiver, and sometimes he fails to wrap up, and he isn't a big playmaker.

On the other hand, he was the 3rd leading tackler on the Cowboys behind LVE and Jaylon Smith, and only 6 teams gave up fewer deep passes than the Cowboys did.

So where does that leave us? To me it leaves us with a player who isn't above being upgraded, but who doesn't necessarily have to be upgraded, especially if doing so would prohibit upgrading positions that have a more urgent need.

I know some will disagree, but my goal is to have a reasonable, considered discussion and not one that is based on emotion and past impressions from when Heath was younger.

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'm a Heath fan but where he let me down this year was with mental mistakes and his lack of recognition of what the offense was trying to do.

A guy like him who isn't the greatest should always be in the right spot doing the right thing.

If he starts again next year then it's fine but he's a guy you look to upgrade if you can.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Here’s my take.

Our front office almost criminally underrates how important top level safety play is, to having a high level defense.

Due to the FO’s unwillingness to invest basically anything into the safety position, it has placed an unnecessary glass ceiling on how good the overall defense can be.

Jeff Heath is a back-up, sub package level player. Nothing wrong with that. You need guys like Jeff Heath on a team.

But the defense could become so much better, if the front office actually prioritized getting a high quality safety to play for us.

I’m hoping that changes this off season and they sign Earl Thomas. But we shall see.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Want to keep him but for depth. Dallas needs a more talented player back there. Heath lacks awareness, more talented players can get away with it.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like his grit and tenacity but he lacks football instincts and real skill.

He's a lesser version of Bill Bates as a safety and that ain't good.

He's actually not a lesser version of Bates as a safety. Bates was never a top safety, and out of his long career only started at safety for 3 years. Special teams and playing nickel LB in passing situations is where Bates excelled and what made him a fan favorite. In those roles Bates was something special.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
Heath is perfect for special teams and having a few plays in safety for certain scenarios such as a safety blitz package but we need to rethink how we value DT and SS/FS.

If you had to cut corners I can see why but we have cap space now

MaaS

Reaction score
I like his grit and tenacity but he lacks football instincts and real skill.

He's a lesser version of Bill Bates as a safety and that ain't good.

Basically my thoughts. Plays hard, and I really respect that.

But, I think he's below average and this is his ceiling.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Want to keep him but for depth. Dallas needs a more talented player back there. Heath lacks awareness, more talented players can get away with it.

Again, I don't think many would suggest he is above upgrading, but if he is making a ton of tackles to support the run defense, and isn't getting beat deep in pass defense, then is replacing him urgent, and is it a priority over things like the O and D Lines, and replacing guys we might lose like Beasley and Lawrence?

Another reasonable question to ask is whether upgrading him is really a bigger need than upgrading the safety slot filled by Woods?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The guy is fast, we know that. He's good on ST, we know that. He hits hard, and gives that "wow" play once in a while, we know that.

Is he great in coverage? No. Does he always take the best angle? No. Can we do better? Hopefully.

But you can't have superstars at every position, and he's been good enough to not lose games for us. No team goes up against us with the game plan of picking on Heath. If we can upgrade, without sacrificing elsewhere, great. If he stays at starting safety. I'm not gonna be upset about it.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Do I have a problem with Heath? No. He’s decent.

But this defense needs playmakers and needs to create turnovers. Heath simply isn’t making plays in a secondary that doesn’t make plays. He’s depth/special teams.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Again, I don't think many would suggest he is above upgrading, but if he is making a ton of tackles to support the run defense, and isn't getting beat deep in pass defense, then is replacing him urgent, and is it a priority over things like the O and D Lines, and replacing guys we might lose like Beasley and Lawrence?

Another reasonable question to ask is whether upgrading him is really a bigger need than upgrading the safety slot filled by Woods?

I would like two new safeties but that isn't a reality this offseason. One of the two needs upgraded, preferably one who can get a few INT's and isn't out of position often.

There are many areas of need but S and DT are the most important right now IMO.

Lawrence isn't going anywhere and Cole is easily replaceable by a cheap FA or draft pick.

This defense needs to get more turnovers or it will not reach that next level.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Here’s my take.

Our front office almost criminally underrates how important top level safety play is, to having a high level defense.

Due to the FO’s unwillingness to invest basically anything into the safety position, it has placed an unnecessary glass ceiling on how good the overall defense can be.

Jeff Heath is a back-up, sub package level player. Nothing wrong with that. You need guys like Jeff Heath on a team.

But the defense could become so much better, if the front office actually prioritized getting a high quality safety to play for us.

I’m hoping that changes this off season and they sign Earl Thomas. But we shall see.

So much truth.

The fact that football has evolved into a spread out, 5 pass patterns, attacking vertical game and we continue to trot out marginal, limited safeties shows how inept and stubborn this front office can be.

They have come a long way in drafting players but in regards to free agents, the safety position, and the 1tech position, they are holding this team back.

Skillit

Reaction score
I agree safety is a position that should be invested in. Your strong safety can set a tone both in the run defense in the past events like no other position can.

I think his average to slightly below average overall. I do think his weaknesses expose this defense in ways that might not otherwise be as debilitating.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
he's not good. like at all. and never has been. not only can he barely cover my grandma, he misses tons of tackles for a "hard hitter." he needs to be replaced.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To sum it up, Jeff Heath is Bill Bates. A great guy, good teammate, and very good special teams guy.

But if he's starting, you're in trouble. As we clearly were. Time after time after time.

An upgrade isn't just possible, it's arguably the biggest need on the defense.

Heath's continued struggles and lack of improvement will put a lot of money in Earl Thomas' pocket.

nobody

Reaction score
Here’s my take.

Safety is even more critical to Marinelli's Defense. This team really needs a really good safety and a good 1 tech. But I doubt we'll get either any time soon.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do I have a problem with Heath? No. He’s decent.

But this defense needs playmakers and needs to create turnovers. Heath simply isn’t making plays in a secondary that doesn’t make plays. He’s depth/special teams.

There is logic and reason to this, but that same reasoning could apply to Woods and Frazier and Chido and Byron Jones and the entire secondary, so my question would be is it reasonable for Heath to far and away be the one member of the secondary that is most often singled out as the player it is urgent to replace, or that he is sometimes treated as one of the worst safeties in the NFL? I know that's not what you said, but it does get said by many.