Let's talk fairly about Jeff Heath

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To sum it up, Jeff Heath is Bill Bates. A great guy, good teammate, and very good special teams guy.

But if he's starting, you're in trouble. As we clearly were. Time after time after time.

An upgrade isn't just possible, it's arguably the biggest need on the defense.

Heath's continued struggles and lack of improvement will put a lot of money in Earl Thomas' pocket.

I get the general belief, and again, most of us accept that he is not a top level player, but I guess my question is how does that belief jive with the fact that he was the 3rd leading tackler on the team and the team is among the best in the NFL at preventing the deep pass? Obviously stats don't always tell the whole story, but they also aren't meaningless, and these stats suggest Heath isn't performing as poorly as some believe.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There is logic and reason to this, but that same reasoning could apply to Woods and Frazier and Chido and Byron Jones and the entire secondary, so my question would be is it reasonable for Heath to far and away be the one member of the secondary that is most often singled out as the player it is urgent to replace, or that he is sometimes treated as one of the worst safeties in the NFL? I know that's not what you said, but it does get said by many.
Well Heath gets singled out because he’s the worst of the bunch. If I’m only as strong as my weakest player? What happens when my weakest player goes from Heath to Woods? The unit looks completely different for the better.

Sydla

Reaction score
Solid backup type on a championship caliber team.

I think that’s fair.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well Heath gets singled out because he’s the worst of the bunch. If I’m only as strong as my weakest player? What happens when my weakest player goes from Heath to Woods? The unit looks completely different for the better.

I don't disagree that he isn't as good as Jones, and probably even Chido, but then again, CB is really the bigger playmaker position and largely where INTs have to come from. But I don't understand saying he is worse than Woods or Anthony Brown or Frasier etc ..., or that he is at or near the worst in the NFL. I personally think of him as the best safety the Cowboys have, and at least an average safety within the scope of the NFL.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
This is all very simple. Heath is a very good safety who also is an asset on Special Teams.
Fans go off the deep end because he doesn't fit their expectations. He's not an All Pro, so he's horrible is the narrative.
When the front 7 get destroyed and all that is left are the safeties they will fail more times than not. That goes for any safety unit.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would hope we can upgrade the position. I don't think Heath is as bad as some like to claim, I see him as avg player whose contract reflects that.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't disagree that he isn't as good as Jones, and probably even Chido, but then again, CB is really the bigger playmaker position and largely where INTs have to come from. But I don't understand saying he is worse than Woods or Anthony Brown or Frasier etc ..., or that he is at or near the worst in the NFL. I personally think of him as the best safety the Cowboys have, and at least an average safety within the scope of the NFL.
I don’t think he’s worse than Frazier. I think he’s the worst starter in our secondary. I think Woods is a better player and has a much higher ceiling. I don’t see the progression with Heath. He’s the same player now that he was when he got here.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This is all very simple. Heath is a very good safety who also is an asset on Special Teams.
Fans go off the deep end because he doesn't fit their expectations. He's not an All Pro, so he's horrible is the narrative.
When the front 7 get destroyed and all that is left are the safeties they will fail more times than not. That goes for any safety unit.
Naw man. He’s not very good. He’s very good at tracking guys down after he takes a bad angle.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
I keep reading AGAIN all the we need ET posts, well I for one am AGAINST that move. he would demand a big pay check for a guy who is 1 season away if not closer to being an IR dead beat or retired. I will keep with the teams philosophy so far and look in the draft for the best true safety available....that is just my opinion. I say this because were young, and just getting some $$ freed up again, and we have all seen it, so far this draft team has pulled a rose from a weed example LVE, now you can say what about Taco? Ok fair enough, but who DIDN'T think THAT was a bad pick? Either way, I stand with my first sentence... draft one, and yes we have no 1st, but that doesn't mean we can't roll out a few bums into a team for a pick in the 1st....

Swagger

Reaction score
I like Heath on special teams and on some packages in open play but agree with the consensus, that he isn't good enough to be a regular starter.

I really like him and he seems a positive character in the team and he has serious wheels.

So we need him on the roster and need an upgrade at safety.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Naw man. He’s not very good. He’s very good at tracking guys down after he takes a bad angle.
Unless you have specific examples, we can respectfully agree to disagree.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Unless you have specific examples, we can respectfully agree to disagree.
Examples of what? Him not being very good? I like the guy. I’ve grown to like him anyway. But I’ve also grown to understand that if you give any reserve player starter reps....they will look exactly like Heath.

Sydla

Reaction score

What’s your definition of “very good”?

I see that and think someone is talking about a top 12ish safety.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
A lot of people say he's Bill Bates. I don't think he is. I think he's a much better Athlete then Bill ever was. A lot of people think that Heath is not very fast. In fact, he is very fast, especially for his size. For some reason, Heath missed a lot of tackles this year and what the reason is for that, I don't know. It's really a mystery to me.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
He’s the best second string safety with a starting position in the league but he’s not going to consistently make big plays and be a major factor in winning games.

We need a ball hawk back there and he’s just not that guy. We need to upgrade as soon as something better comes along. I’d keep him for depth and special teams..

pacboyX

Reaction score
I’m just happy we are finally talking serious about safety position. Everybody finally seeing Heath for what he is. A special teams ace.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Examples of what? Him not being very good? I like the guy. I’ve grown to like him anyway. But I’ve also grown to understand that if you give any reserve player starter reps....they will look exactly like Heath.
Reserve players don't place 3rd in team tackles and they generally don't get turnovers.