News: Let's throw aside some of the complaining excuses used

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
I concur with the gist of your post/blog .

The Cliff Notes:

Basically too many folks on here rant and bich about this and that, mainly coaching but plenty of targeting of players and let's not forget Jerrah.

Then you went on to say we have pretty decent talent especially in the trenches.

And finally, in closing, as team supporters let's be a bit more optimistic and less criticizing.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
If one doesn't enjoy watching that unfold, he simply is not a fan...lol

For most of us sports is reality TV. We're wanna be's, gonna be's, hope to be's or never will be's or maybe once were's. I've said before that JG has kept this team focused through crap that most HC's have never faced. Everyone is Lombardi when things are going great and if 8-8 is the worst it gets when times are tough, good job. For me 8-8 means I broke even and in tough, lean, mean years that's more of an accomplishment than making big money in the great years. What the heck, over 10 years we've made money when the sun shone and lost when it didn't. Deal with mother nature as a partner right

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Every single year, in the past decade, there have been large numbers of doubters that have contributed little to objective and reasonable considerations, beyond a strongly stated disgust. Some are already racing to resurrect a negative expression that justifies their own anger and throw out an excuse used for more than the decade old reasons. Thus defining all other views and trumping all reasons not ending in a Lombardi.

Guess what, folks, no Lombardi is suddenly going to appear and justify your path of angst or the unending insults of people trying to be rational and actually, pretty effective in their varied attempts. Straight up, no one saw the end of the world, while supposing to be a Dallas Cowboys fan. Period...

And since one has already posted their current and animated displeasure, or is listening to what is actually presented....those of you remaining, let's go.

There is no game plan in the NFL that can succeed today, if there are not three things present. And if the owner tries to actually protect his players, he won't won't throw all theirs - to the curb and completely change his franchise...players, coaches, and GM - all inclusive.

Sorry, this fan doesn't insult or disrespect Jerry Jones for attempting to do all possible to protect and empower his players.

In the middle of a country wide financial crisis, Jerry Jones put together the finances to start the creation of a World Class facility at which the Dallas Cowboys could conduct their business. Not only was he able to do this in a financial world collapsing for a very long period of time, but the magnitude of accomplishment in that home, is truly a great venue to interact and share the play of our Dallas Cowboys. That deserves recognition and valid prestige as a backdrop...

This intro was provided, to get into the pictures, a concept of respect and Jerry Jones.

Enough of that. Let's talk football now...

Three things are needed for a successful team in today's NFL:

1. A strong and deep roster

2. A Cap Picture that is not overworked or prohibitive in player retention and roster value

3. Dependable evaluations of talent that continues player additions and gives both youth, and a continual group of quality players in numbers to support the demands of a single season.

What does all of that have to do with Jerry and our Cowboys?

This, at the lock-out year, Dallas/Jerry, had to make a decision as to course of travel and how to accomplish that very thing being changed. This the Cowboys did, painful or not, in transition.

Jerry and Stephen Jones, locked upon the concept that the cap had to be cleaned up, and that drafting the team's own talent were their strongest remedy and best course for policy.

Starting this season, the cap picture is both manageable and strong. That allows to pay and keep the preferred talent that is accruing on a yearly basis now.

As to team talent, the Scouting Department was changed and upgraded very significantly. They are very good and are actually listened to in decisions. For the past five seasons, they have provided the roster with strong to very good talent.

Bill Bellichick does his own decisions upon talent, even going to workouts. The Cowboys have a staff that listen to the coaching staff now. The talent levels are becoming very comparable as to what is going onto the turf for games. That is a strong statement, now.

Here, those who can't afford the box tops of cereal, to get a decoder ring...let's just cut to the chase and use the Cliff Notes:

The team's defense has been top 10 for the past two seasons.

When the receivers were not strong enough, the offensive production faltered.

How has that changed...today?

First, let's look at what makes both units function at a top level - their respective lines.

Starting with the offensive line...there is no stronger positional group stronger than what Dallas has, at present.

The first improvement, is the return of C Travis Frederick. Little needs to be said, when a multi-year All Pro returns to a unit. He is joined by perennial All Pro's, LT Tyron Smith, and RG Zach Martin. Let's see any team match up against that group.

But even that is not a complete picture. Additionally, at tackle, the Cowboys have La'el Collins, and swing tackle Cameron Fleming. That is a strong picture with depth...but not nearly a complete one.

The offensive line's interior, has a ton of depth and flex as well.

Joe Looney, Xavier Su's-Filo, and Connor Williams have been joined by newly drafted Connor McGovern.

That is a complete group of 9 offensive linemen on today's roster, and well could be the best and deepest positional group of offensive linemen ever assembled in the NFL.

With the offensive line projected to now be stable, everything else comes into view...

Let's look at the defensive line...

First, there has to be a source for constant pressure on opposing quarterbacks.

The Cowboys now have proven defensive ends, DeMarcus Lawrence and Robert Quinn. They will more frequently be rotated with the likes of Taco Charlton, Tyron Crawford, Dorance Armstrong, Christian Covington, and just drafted Joe Jackson and Jalen Jelks.

I left as a special case - Randy Gregory. He is permanently suspended, and it would probably take a change in direction by the NFL, before he is allowed to return. That is a power extended to the Commissioner and likely to not go to change before a commitment by the Player's Association and giving some power to Roger Goddell.

To say that the defensive end group is solid, might just become an understatement.

Then, at defensive tackle, the group is currently set with:

Maliek Collins, Antuan Woods, Daniel Ross, and newly drafted Tryston Hill. One may also see the use of Crawford and Covington in with the defensive tackles. While there may not be any Pro Bowlers in that group of defensive tackles...one will still be impressed with what they accomplish. They are strong and better than last season, as well.

This group is stronger and now has a make-up of desireable character as well as ingrain hustle and are aggressibve in a Marinelli mold. The Defensive Coordinator now has a roster with valid talent to run his type of defense...and improve upon a top 10 status.

Both the offense and defense, have special skills players that have improved both in skill levels, and in talent/depth.

The wide receiver group is deep and much better. Heck, even this expands what is included now:

Bobby Belt @BobbyBeltTX

So new Cowboys WR Jalen Guyton is the only player in the entire 2019 pre-draft process to run a sub-4.4 40 yard dash and sub-7 3-cone at 200 pounds or more.

That's combine or pro days.

10:29 PM - 27 Apr 2019

I won't make this completely unmanageable, but the secondary, tight ends, running backs, and wide receivers have come a long way since the beginning of just last season.

Does anyone recall a player named Amari Cooper or even Randall Cobb...just CC for short?

Things have changed and do make for a reasonable direction for discussions!!

:starspin:
This is well thought out. I write for a living. I'd rather read a well thought out piece than one that is flawlessly constructed and vacuous. Good job. I understand fans' frustration with the Cowboys. I grew up in the Landry era when winning was taken for granted and championships were possible every year. I do understand why people are frustrated.

That said, the Cowboys have changed philosophies and improved in the areas you mentioned. Save for the season Goodell ruined, the Cowboys have flourished in the regular season. I was in the stands when Dallas beat Kansas City the last game before Elliott's suspension. That team was strong. The suspension ended the season -- too much distraction and a team constructed as the Cowboys were couldn't afford to lose Elliott for that length of time. Maybe they are better protected now.

The Cowboys need to take the next step -- true playoff success. But winning in the NFL isn't easy. Landry won two titles despite more than two decades of tremendous regular season success. And typically, whichever team is the current "dynasty" -- the Packers, the Steelers, the 49ers, the Cowboys, the Patriots -- claim three or more titles before they are done (the Packers were at the end of their run and won just two in the Super Bowl era).

But I see no point in harping on 20-plus years of playoff disappointment. There isn't any doubt the organization was seriously, seriously flawed during most of that time. Many of those flaws have been corrected. If Dallas continues on its current track, there will be playoff success. There will probably be another Super Bowl or two. If Garrett doesn't get it done soon, he will be gone. I'm going to enjoy the ride. In more than five decades of fandom, I've enjoyed five Super Bowl titles. As you get older, you realize they are rare. I'm anxious for the next one.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
This is well thought out. I write for a living. I'd rather read a well thought out piece than one that is flawlessly constructed and vacuous. Good job. I understand fans' frustration with the Cowboys. I grew up in the Landry era when winning was taken for granted and championships were possible every year. I do understand why people are frustrated.

That said, the Cowboys have changed philosophies and improved in the areas you mentioned. Save for the season Goodell ruined, the Cowboys have flourished in the regular season. I was in the stands when Dallas beat Kansas City the last game before Elliott's suspension. That team was strong. The suspension ended the season -- too much distraction and a team constructed as the Cowboys were couldn't afford to lose Elliott for that length of time. Maybe they are better protected now.

The Cowboys need to take the next step -- true playoff success. But winning in the NFL isn't easy. Landry won two titles despite more than two decades of tremendous regular season success. And typically, whichever team is the current "dynasty" -- the Packers, the Steelers, the 49ers, the Cowboys, the Patriots -- claim three or more titles before they are done (the Packers were at the end of their run and won just two in the Super Bowl era).

But I see no point in harping on 20-plus years of playoff disappointment. There isn't any doubt the organization was seriously, seriously flawed during most of that time. Many of those flaws have been corrected. If Dallas continues on its current track, there will be playoff success. There will probably be another Super Bowl or two. If Garrett doesn't get it done soon, he will be gone. I'm going to enjoy the ride. In more than five decades of fandom, I've enjoyed five Super Bowl titles. As you get older, you realize they are rare. I'm anxious for the next one.

Great post also

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I won't cry if JG is let go by the FO. I know the fans on here have zero say and I'm great with that!. I won't eat crow if he takes us to the NFL championship either. can't imagine dissing a coach or player for 10 years then doing an about face to save face.

Hadenough

Reaction score
If one doesn't enjoy watching that unfold, he simply is not a fan...lol
As long as its unfolding that's fine but when i see a rape take place I'm gonna step up and say something!

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Diverging topics...a player to root for this camp:

Mike Sutherland‏ @Bivatuab Apr 28
Replying to @BobbyBeltTX
Someone asked if Guyton can catch the ball. “103 receptions ... 1,580 yards ... 15 touchdowns” in two years at UNT indicate “yes.”

Gym short Olympics be damned...a really top athlete. Kind of in the class of a Bob Hayes.
In case you weren't informed straying or diverging from the topic will cause CCBoy to scold you.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Every single year, in the past decade, there have been large numbers of doubters that have contributed little to objective and reasonable considerations, beyond a strongly stated disgust. Some are already racing to resurrect a negative expression that justifies their own anger and throw out an excuse used for more than the decade old reasons. Thus defining all other views and trumping all reasons not ending in a Lombardi.

Guess what, folks, no Lombardi is suddenly going to appear and justify your path of angst or the unending insults of people trying to be rational and actually, pretty effective in their varied attempts. Straight up, no one saw the end of the world, while supposing to be a Dallas Cowboys fan. Period...

And since one has already posted their current and animated displeasure, or is listening to what is actually presented....those of you remaining, let's go.

There is no game plan in the NFL that can succeed today, if there are not three things present. And if the owner tries to actually protect his players, he won't won't throw all theirs - to the curb and completely change his franchise...players, coaches, and GM - all inclusive.

Sorry, this fan doesn't insult or disrespect Jerry Jones for attempting to do all possible to protect and empower his players.

In the middle of a country wide financial crisis, Jerry Jones put together the finances to start the creation of a World Class facility at which the Dallas Cowboys could conduct their business. Not only was he able to do this in a financial world collapsing for a very long period of time, but the magnitude of accomplishment in that home, is truly a great venue to interact and share the play of our Dallas Cowboys. That deserves recognition and valid prestige as a backdrop...

This intro was provided, to get into the pictures, a concept of respect and Jerry Jones.

2. A Cap Picture that is not overworked or prohibitive in player retention and roster value

3. Dependable evaluations of talent that continues player additions and gives both youth, and a continual group of quality players in numbers to support the demands of a single season.

This, at the lock-out year, Dallas/Jerry, had to make a decision as to course of travel and how to accomplish that very thing being changed. This the Cowboys did, painful or not, in transition.

Jerry and Stephen Jones, locked upon the concept that the cap had to be cleaned up, and that drafting the team's own talent were their strongest remedy and best course for policy.

Starting this season, the cap picture is both manageable and strong. That allows to pay and keep the preferred talent that is accruing on a yearly basis now.

As to team talent, the Scouting Department was changed and upgraded very significantly. They are very good and are actually listened to in decisions. For the past five seasons, they have provided the roster with strong to very good talent.

Bill Bellichick does his own decisions upon talent, even going to workouts. The Cowboys have a staff that listen to the coaching staff now. The talent levels are becoming very comparable as to what is going onto the turf for games. That is a strong statement, now.

Here, those who can't afford the box tops of cereal, to get a decoder ring...let's just cut to the chase and use the Cliff Notes:

First, let's look at what makes both units function at a top level - their respective lines.

Starting with the offensive line...there is no stronger positional group stronger than what Dallas has, at present.

The first improvement, is the return of C Travis Frederick. Little needs to be said, when a multi-year All Pro returns to a unit. He is joined by perennial All Pro's, LT Tyron Smith, and RG Zach Martin. Let's see any team match up against that group.

But even that is not a complete picture. Additionally, at tackle, the Cowboys have La'el Collins, and swing tackle Cameron Fleming. That is a strong picture with depth...but not nearly a complete one.

Joe Looney, Xavier Su's-Filo, and Connor Williams have been joined by newly drafted Connor McGovern.

That is a complete group of 9 offensive linemen on today's roster, and well could be the best and deepest positional group of offensive linemen ever assembled in the NFL.

With the offensive line projected to now be stable, everything else comes into view...

The Cowboys now have proven defensive ends, DeMarcus Lawrence and Robert Quinn. They will more frequently be rotated with the likes of Taco Charlton, Tyron Crawford, Dorance Armstrong, Christian Covington, and just drafted Joe Jackson and Jalen Jelks.

I left as a special case - Randy Gregory. He is permanently suspended, and it would probably take a change in direction by the NFL, before he is allowed to return. That is a power extended to the Commissioner and likely to not go to change before a commitment by the Player's Association and giving some power to Roger Goddell.

To say that the defensive end group is solid, might just become an understatement.

Maliek Collins, Antuan Woods, Daniel Ross, and newly drafted Tryston Hill. One may also see the use of Crawford and Covington in with the defensive tackles. While there may not be any Pro Bowlers in that group of defensive tackles...one will still be impressed with what they accomplish. They are strong and better than last season, as well.

This group is stronger and now has a make-up of desireable character as well as ingrain hustle and are aggressibve in a Marinelli mold. The Defensive Coordinator now has a roster with valid talent to run his type of defense...and improve upon a top 10 status.

Both the offense and defense, have special skills players that have improved both in skill levels, and in talent/depth.

The wide receiver group is deep and much better. Heck, even this expands what is included now:

Bobby Belt @BobbyBeltTX

So new Cowboys WR Jalen Guyton is the only player in the entire 2019 pre-draft process to run a sub-4.4 40 yard dash and sub-7 3-cone at 200 pounds or more.

I won't make this completely unmanageable, but the secondary, tight ends, running backs, and wide receivers have come a long way since the beginning of just last season.

Does anyone recall a player named Amari Cooper or even Randall Cobb...just CC for short?

Great concise summary as to what has been taking place the last 6 or so years.

JBond

Reaction score

Bobby Belt @BobbyBeltTX

A lot of gibberish to excuse 24 years of mediocrity. Wordy people will be wordy. It makes them feel smart.

Cowboy4evr

Reaction score

You grew up in the Landry era? You do realize the Jones Cowboys have a better record? Wins and Lombardi's.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Wrong as usual.
Many posters on here do not have the posts to likes ratio because we been posting far longer than the likes button was added. So the ratio means nothing.
If that is important to you, then you are doing this for the wrong reason.
:starspin::clap::starspin:

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
it's ok Had. This season should provide some answers. This team is stacked and there should be no excuses. That's not being negative. That's reality. As real as sports gets anyway.
Exactly, oh great seed sower of the great white north, as that's precisely why an early round draft of O.L. reinforcement was deemed imperative.