Let's turn our disappointment to another disappointing moment - Free Agency

Sydla

Reaction score
I see some are (or may) tricking themselves into believing Jerry knows he's made an unpopular choice and that he has to be aggressive in FA. We were in the same situation with Garrett and he didn't budge in FA. So it's not happening again. But for poops and giggles, operating under the guise they won't sniff any big names, here are some options I would think would help at positions of need:

DT - Obviously Wilkins and Jones will be two of the big names here. Don't even bother typing either name on this board. Two guys that may still be outside our price range but I'd like to look at are Kinlaw and Rankins. Not sure what the 49ers plans are with Kinlaw, but he'd be an immediate talent upgrade. Below them maybe a Justin Jones or Quinton Jefferson. I think Hankins time here is done and you absolutely CANNOT just assume Mazi makes the jump in Year 2.

LB - Need a good solid inside guy. Wagner is the name out there. With Carroll out, the Seahawks kind of hanging in limbo, would he be open to a move to Dallas for a year or two? Another guy I might investigate is Josey Jewell in Denver. Not flashy, but solid and definitely gives you more physical inside play that we weren't getting out of the 210 LB MLBs this year. LOL. Queen? Yeah would be awesome to have him. He's gonna cost too much. Willie Gay might be another to give a looksy. He played well for KC this year.

RB - The two big names will likely be Barkley and Jacobs. Part of me fears, Jerry does the panic thing again like he did years ago with Elliott and overpays for one of these two. Resist the urge Jerry. Now, if you can get a Jacobs on a pretty team friendly deal, sure. Henry is the guy I think we should look at. One, with the already suppressed contract market for TBs, I think he'd come relatively cheap. Two, while not as great as he once was, he's still a good enough between the tackles runner. Pair him with a decent mid-round pick at TB and you have a more balanced running back room IMO.

They could add a cheap vet CB assuming Gilmore and Lewis are done. WR will be interesting. Cooks? I don't mind bringing him back and they may give him a small extension to lower his $10MM cap hit. Gallup? His June 1 cap savings are $9MM which might be enticing to the front office.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
According to 105.3 the cowboys are gonna be aggressive in Free Agency. They're gonna have to be, because we traded away a lot of the mid round picks. My dream scenario would be, Dak takes less in order for the Cowboys to go get his good friend Chris Jones. There's going to be some talent at DT, RB and LB in this year's free agency, which are glaring needs. The draft has a lot of talent at OL so it works out great! IF THEY DECIDE TO ACTUALLY USE FREE AGENCY.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
I see some are (or may) tricking themselves into believing Jerry knows he's made an unpopular choice and that he has to be aggressive in FA. We were in the same situation with Garrett and he didn't budge in FA. So it's not happening again. But for poops and giggles, operating under the guise they won't sniff any big names, here are some options I would think would help at positions of need:

DT - Obviously Wilkins and Jones will be two of the big names here. Don't even bother typing either name on this board. Two guys that may still be outside our price range but I'd like to look at are Kinlaw and Rankins. Not sure what the 49ers plans are with Kinlaw, but he'd be an immediate talent upgrade. Below them maybe a Justin Jones or Quinton Jefferson. I think Hankins time here is done and you absolutely CANNOT just assume Mazi makes the jump in Year 2.

LB - Need a good solid inside guy. Wagner is the name out there. With Carroll out, the Seahawks kind of hanging in limbo, would he be open to a move to Dallas for a year or two? Another guy I might investigate is Josey Jewell in Denver. Not flashy, but solid and definitely gives you more physical inside play that we weren't getting out of the 210 LB MLBs this year. LOL. Queen? Yeah would be awesome to have him. He's gonna cost too much. Willie Gay might be another to give a looksy. He played well for KC this year.

RB - The two big names will likely be Barkley and Jacobs. Part of me fears, Jerry does the panic thing again like he did years ago with Elliott and overpays for one of these two. Resist the urge Jerry. Now, if you can get a Jacobs on a pretty team friendly deal, sure. Henry is the guy I think we should look at. One, with the already suppressed contract market for TBs, I think he'd come relatively cheap. Two, while not as great as he once was, he's still a good enough between the tackles runner. Pair him with a decent mid-round pick at TB and you have a more balanced running back room IMO.

They could add a cheap vet CB assuming Gilmore and Lewis are done. WR will be interesting. Cooks? I don't mind bringing him back and they may give him a small extension to lower his $10MM cap hit. Gallup? His June 1 cap savings are $9MM which might be enticing to the front office.
Cooks is not a free agent

Sydla

Reaction score
According to 105.3 the cowboys are gonna be aggressive in Free Agency. They're gonna have to be, because we traded away a lot of the mid round picks. My dream scenario would be, Dak takes less in order for the Cowboys to go get his good friend Chris Jones. There's going to be some talent at DT, RB and LB in this year's free agency, which are glaring needs. The draft has a lot of talent at OL so it works out great! IF THEY DECIDE TO ACTUALLY USE FREE AGENCY.

Good luck this that. The same logic was floated in Garrett's last year. That there was no chance Jerry wanted his son by another mother to fail so he would give them a bunch of studs in FA.

Here were their big outside free agent signings that year:

Chris Covington
Kerry Hyder
Randall Cobb

LOL.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
How active do people really believe the Clampetts will be, they usually don’t get active till around the 5th week of FA, once the players that can help the team are off the market. Since Carr, they decided not to play in that game.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
They just don't have a 4th, but they have two 7ths. It is a late 5, late 6, and two 7ths. They're never big in FA, but they do wait until the end of FA and scoop up a few guys on 1 year deals. I'd go for a Big DT, an OL, and RB in the later rounds. They'll probably sign some UDFAs too, maybe another RB. I'm not expecting another DT in rounds 1-3 because of Mazi, but I do see them building in the trenches with OL and DL. I think they should keep Armstrong unless they draft a DE, but whatever they do I want Parsons back at MLB. Playing him at DE I think was a bad plan. They need to shore up the OL whatever they do.

Sydla

Reaction score
Just stay young and draft a RB and sign a vet for minimum or just over. No reason to put any money into a disposable position.
Couple thoughts.

We don't have a 4th round pick and there is a chance we may not have a 5th depending on what happens in comp picks. That 3rd-5th round seems like the sweet spot for TBs. I am not wanting to spend a 1st or 2nd on one (granted, is there even any this year that would fit that bill?)

Spotrac does a projection for contracts and they had Henry at 2 years, $8MM. For that, I'd consider it. I would certainly not sign him if we are talking 3-4 years, $25 million or something crazy like that. If that's his market, then yeah, move further down the list.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I never advocate players taking pay cuts but I see why it would benefit Dak. His career needs him to take a cut otherwise his endorsements may take a hit playing in Atlanta or New England. Actually I know they will

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

WR market is actually pretty solid for #2's that wont cost a ton. Outside of Evans, Pittman and Higgins most look like below 15m per guys. Hollywood, Ridley, Boyd. Even Samuel is interesting, but I dont know if thats where I would go. The first 3 are upgrades over both Cooks amd Gallup.

Jewell is precisely what we need at LB

At CB, Kristian Fulton is a guy I would look at. Very strong play his first two years as a #1 CB. Tailed off pretty bad the last couple years when he only played outside. Still young amd would be a strong #3 that can play slot

Not a sexy name, but Damien Harris would be a solid add at HB. Makes just above the league min, and is a solid short yardage, dirty yards guy. Doesnt fix the position, but would be a good contributor at a low cost. Tough runner

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
I never advocate players taking pay cuts but I see why it would benefit Dak. His career needs him to take a cut otherwise his endorsements may take a hit playing in Atlanta or New England. Actually I know they will
I think Dallas needs to realize how much leverage they truly have. I love Dak but he needs to understand its about legacy at this point and if he plays it correctly he'll be making a killing outside of football IF he brings a championship to Dallas. Roger Staubach is one of the richest football players and he did that outside of football.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
LOL.

You ain't getting Ridley. He's going to be way too pricey for this bunch. Spotrac has him estimated at like $17MM per year.
You cut both Gallup and Cooks and sign Ridley. I'd take Ridley with whatever else at the 3rd spot than Cooks and Gallup at 2 and 3 any day. Cooks isnt that good, and if we can cut him and upgrade, we definitely should consider it

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think Dallas needs to realize how much leverage they truly have. I love Dak but he needs to understand it’s about legacy at this point and if he plays it correctly he'll be making a killing outside of football IF he brings a championship to Dallas. Roger Staubach is one of the richest football players and he did that outside of football.
Only thing I disagree about is he doesn’t have leverage. With this front office he does.

Fmart322

Reaction score
I think Dallas needs to realize how much leverage they truly have. I love Dak but he needs to understand its about legacy at this point and if he plays it correctly he'll be making a killing outside of football IF he brings a championship to Dallas. Roger Staubach is one of the richest football players and he did that outside of football.
Roger was a very smart man who got into real estate. He made a fortune there.
Roger Staubach during his playing years wasn't paid his worth. Tex Schram was a tight wad.