Let's turn our disappointment to another disappointing moment - Free Agency

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I see some are (or may) tricking themselves into believing Jerry knows he's made an unpopular choice and that he has to be aggressive in FA. We were in the same situation with Garrett and he didn't budge in FA. So it's not happening again. But for poops and giggles, operating under the guise they won't sniff any big names, here are some options I would think would help at positions of need:

DT - Obviously Wilkins and Jones will be two of the big names here. Don't even bother typing either name on this board. Two guys that may still be outside our price range but I'd like to look at are Kinlaw and Rankins. Not sure what the 49ers plans are with Kinlaw, but he'd be an immediate talent upgrade. Below them maybe a Justin Jones or Quinton Jefferson. I think Hankins time here is done and you absolutely CANNOT just assume Mazi makes the jump in Year 2.

LB - Need a good solid inside guy. Wagner is the name out there. With Carroll out, the Seahawks kind of hanging in limbo, would he be open to a move to Dallas for a year or two? Another guy I might investigate is Josey Jewell in Denver. Not flashy, but solid and definitely gives you more physical inside play that we weren't getting out of the 210 LB MLBs this year. LOL. Queen? Yeah would be awesome to have him. He's gonna cost too much. Willie Gay might be another to give a looksy. He played well for KC this year.

RB - The two big names will likely be Barkley and Jacobs. Part of me fears, Jerry does the panic thing again like he did years ago with Elliott and overpays for one of these two. Resist the urge Jerry. Now, if you can get a Jacobs on a pretty team friendly deal, sure. Henry is the guy I think we should look at. One, with the already suppressed contract market for TBs, I think he'd come relatively cheap. Two, while not as great as he once was, he's still a good enough between the tackles runner. Pair him with a decent mid-round pick at TB and you have a more balanced running back room IMO.

They could add a cheap vet CB assuming Gilmore and Lewis are done. WR will be interesting. Cooks? I don't mind bringing him back and they may give him a small extension to lower his $10MM cap hit. Gallup? His June 1 cap savings are $9MM which might be enticing to the front office.
What's this free agency you speak of ?

Aven8

Reaction score
Roger was a very smart man who got into real estate. He made a fortune there.
Roger Staubach during his playing years wasn't paid his worth. Tex Schram was a tight wad.
Roger is the richest football player in NFL History.

Carson

Reaction score
My breakdown what won’t happen but is realistic

RB - Gus Edwards (3.6 per year)
C - Connor McGovern (2.5 per year)
DT - Javon Kinlaw (5.4 per year)
LB - Leonard Floyd (5 per year)
CB - Keisan Nixon (1.7 per year)

Sydla

Reaction score
WR market is actually pretty solid for #2's that wont cost a ton. Outside of Evans, Pittman and Higgins most look like below 15m per guys. Hollywood, Ridley, Boyd. Even Samuel is interesting, but I dont know if thats where I would go. The first 3 are upgrades over both Cooks amd Gallup.

Jewell is precisely what we need at LB

At CB, Kristian Fulton is a guy I would look at. Very strong play his first two years as a #1 CB. Tailed off pretty bad the last couple years when he only played outside. Still young amd would be a strong #3 that can play slot

Not a sexy name, but Damien Harris would be a solid add at HB. Makes just above the league min, and is a solid short yardage, dirty yards guy. Doesnt fix the position, but would be a good contributor at a low cost. Tough runner
I like Harris at TB too.

I think you are going to find a guy like Ridley is going to be way pricier than you think.

Creeper

Reaction score
The priority has to be stopping the run on defense. I love Wilkins but I think he is going to cost way too much so Jerry will stay away. If he signs Hankins again, he could get A'Shawn Robinson to play next to him. If Mazi improves that's just a bonus and he could be used to keep the other two guys fresh. I think Kinlaw could be an option. I have a feeling SF is going to let him walk. But he has been a major disappointment for them.

The problem is, Unless we do something about Dak's contract, Jerry is not going to have the money to sign anyone. I am sure they will extend CeeDee in the offseason. That will save them a lot of money, but there is no guarantee CeeDee signs and extension, especially if Dallas cuts Dak and the QB position is undetermined. That could cause CeeDee to think about going somewhere else when he deal is up. Cutting Dak could also cause a lot of Free Agency to stay clear of Dallas.

I am also skeptical about Jerry being aggressive in free agency. It could mean just signing back all his own free agents but I just do not think it means going after someone like Chris Jones or Christian Wilkins.

I just hope they come out of free agency with some beef in the middle of the defense, and a legitimate WR2. How about Michael Pittman playing opposite CeeDee?

Sydla

Reaction score
You cut both Gallup and Cooks and sign Ridley. I'd take Ridley with whatever else at the 3rd spot than Cooks and Gallup at 2 and 3 any day. Cooks isnt that good, and if we can cut him and upgrade, we definitely should consider it
Possibly, here are the numbers:

Gallup only saves $800K pre-June 1, $9.5MM post-June 1
Cooks is $4MM pre-June 1, $8MM post-June 1

Ridley will absolutely sign early in FA most likely. You structure the deal in a way with a low first year cap (like for example, AJ Browns first year with Philly the cap hit was only $6MM).

The problem is that it would be completely outside the operating history of this franchise to go spend that much money on a FA, let alone a FA WR.

Carson

Reaction score
All I’m going to say is

Massive LOL to anybody who thinks we are going to sign Wilkins or Chris Jones

Carson

Reaction score
Funny the Rams went for broke and won the SB, sucked a few years, and now are back in the playoffs. That’s what good organizations do. Retool
Bro look at their draft class this year. FOUR first team all rookies.

Puka, Avila, Young, Turner.

Thats how you turn things around. Same with the Lions FOUR!! Gibbs, Campbell, Branch, LaPorta)

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I like Harris at TB too.

I think you are going to find a guy like Ridley is going to be way pricier than you think.
Possibly, here are the numbers:

Gallup only saves $800K pre-June 1, $9.5MM post-June 1
Cooks is $4MM pre-June 1, $8MM post-June 1

Ridley will absolutely sign early in FA most likely. You structure the deal in a way with a low first year cap (like for example, AJ Browns first year with Philly the cap hit was only $6MM).

The problem is that it would be completely outside the operating history of this franchise to go spend that much money on a FA, let alone a FA WR.
Ridley’s market is hard to tell. Probably anywhere fro. 14 per to 19 per. Depends on if anyone is needy enough to gamble. Ridley is a bit of a gamble (no pun) right now. His 2023 was decent, but not really #1 quality, and his the year he put up elite #3's was 3 years ago. Him getting the upside of that might depend on Pittman and Evans getting tagged or resigned. If they both hit the market with Higgins, Ridley’s might not be great

You are right, its a stretch to imagine them spending money in FA when they never do. However I think if they do, WR and LB would be the place to do it. Both are weak positions, and Id rather use high picks in the lines

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
Better hope for a banner draft and UDFA class case we aren't signing ****

Reactions: JPM

kevinhickey

Reaction score
According to 105.3 the cowboys are gonna be aggressive in Free Agency. They're gonna have to be, because we traded away a lot of the mid round picks. My dream scenario would be, Dak takes less in order for the Cowboys to go get his good friend Chris Jones. There's going to be some talent at DT, RB and LB in this year's free agency, which are glaring needs. The draft has a lot of talent at OL so it works out great! IF THEY DECIDE TO ACTUALLY USE FREE AGENCY.
I don’t believe it for one minute that we are going to be aggressive in free agency. We have to resign Dak to an extension and we will. We will give CD Lamb a new contract and possibly this year, Parsons. We hear the same stuff every year. We are going to take care of our guys. I would like to dream that we will address the problems through free agency but it ain’t going to happen.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I see some are (or may) tricking themselves into believing Jerry knows he's made an unpopular choice and that he has to be aggressive in FA. We were in the same situation with Garrett and he didn't budge in FA. So it's not happening again. But for poops and giggles, operating under the guise they won't sniff any big names, here are some options I would think would help at positions of need:

DT - Obviously Wilkins and Jones will be two of the big names here. Don't even bother typing either name on this board. Two guys that may still be outside our price range but I'd like to look at are Kinlaw and Rankins. Not sure what the 49ers plans are with Kinlaw, but he'd be an immediate talent upgrade. Below them maybe a Justin Jones or Quinton Jefferson. I think Hankins time here is done and you absolutely CANNOT just assume Mazi makes the jump in Year 2.

LB - Need a good solid inside guy. Wagner is the name out there. With Carroll out, the Seahawks kind of hanging in limbo, would he be open to a move to Dallas for a year or two? Another guy I might investigate is Josey Jewell in Denver. Not flashy, but solid and definitely gives you more physical inside play that we weren't getting out of the 210 LB MLBs this year. LOL. Queen? Yeah would be awesome to have him. He's gonna cost too much. Willie Gay might be another to give a looksy. He played well for KC this year.

RB - The two big names will likely be Barkley and Jacobs. Part of me fears, Jerry does the panic thing again like he did years ago with Elliott and overpays for one of these two. Resist the urge Jerry. Now, if you can get a Jacobs on a pretty team friendly deal, sure. Henry is the guy I think we should look at. One, with the already suppressed contract market for TBs, I think he'd come relatively cheap. Two, while not as great as he once was, he's still a good enough between the tackles runner. Pair him with a decent mid-round pick at TB and you have a more balanced running back room IMO.

They could add a cheap vet CB assuming Gilmore and Lewis are done. WR will be interesting. Cooks? I don't mind bringing him back and they may give him a small extension to lower his $10MM cap hit. Gallup? His June 1 cap savings are $9MM which might be enticing to the front office.
Glad you are doing a more realistic spin on it, we need to be aggressive but not dumb

Sydla

Reaction score
Ridley’s market is hard to tell. Probably anywhere fro. 14 per to 19 per. Depends on if anyone is needy enough to gamble. Ridley is a bit of a gamble (no pun) right now. His 2023 was decent, but not really #1 quality, and his the year he put up elite #3's was 3 years ago. Him getting the upside of that might depend on Pittman and Evans getting tagged or resigned. If they both hit the market with Higgins, Ridley’s might not be great

You are right, its a stretch to imagine them spending money in FA when they never do. However I think if they do, WR and LB would be the place to do it. Both are weak positions, and Id rather use high picks in the lines
To me, DT is a weak position too. We got run over again when it mattered most. Mazi showed little to no improvement so counting on him seems like a risk. Hankins is ehh at this point.

If they were content throwing $15-19MM at a WR, I'd rather see them spent it on a dominant DT. Neither is gonna happen though, LOL.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
According to 105.3 the cowboys are gonna be aggressive in Free Agency. They're gonna have to be, because we traded away a lot of the mid round picks. My dream scenario would be, Dak takes less in order for the Cowboys to go get his good friend Chris Jones. There's going to be some talent at DT, RB and LB in this year's free agency, which are glaring needs. The draft has a lot of talent at OL so it works out great! IF THEY DECIDE TO ACTUALLY USE FREE AGENCY.
yeah we could get any of the 2nd tier of RB DT and LB and be set for DRAFT BPA hopefully OL, but again are the Jones going to do it. Time will tell.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
To me, DT is a weak position too. We got run over again when it mattered most. Mazi showed little to no improvement so counting on him seems like a risk. Hankins is ehh at this point.

If they were content throwing $15-19MM at a WR, I'd rather see them spent it on a dominant DT. Neither is gonna happen though, LOL.
DT is kind of lean. Outside the franchise tag caliber guys you have Reader and Stewart who would solid adds at about 12-15 per, then maybe Tart. After that you arent getting much of an upgrade over Hankins

lostar2009

Reaction score
They dont have to be aggressive. Just find a solid LB and DT. Double up in the draft is they needed.