Letting cat outside illegal? Need some legal advice.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4963127 said:
:)
You mean the poster? Please do tell!

Not much to tell. We've been a couple for 9 years, married for 6, one daughter and a son on the way.

And I have cats, have since well before we met.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4963130 said:
We all know about the archetypal character of the crazy cat lady. And odds are if you haven’t experienced this kind of person in real life, you’ve seen a character representative on shows like CSI, The Office, or The Simpsons. The “crazy cat lady” is associated with an aging spinster who attempts to fill the void in her life with an increasing number of feline friends. This kind of person is associated with loneliness and depression, and in the case of The Simpsons — that has pushed them over the edge into insanity. However, there is a new study out right now that suggests that there may also be a physiological connection between cat hoarding and loneliness, depression and suicide.

I know plenty of people that work with cats, none of whom are stereotypical. Many are married with families or single with active social lives. There are stereotypical hoarders, but they are by far the minority.

Hoarding, in the opinion of most people that work in animal rescue, is less about the total number of cats but rather more about the condition the cats and the home are kept in.

There are people that can have 20 cats and keep them well fed, vetted and their home clean.

There are people that can't manage that with 4 cats and their home smells like a litterbox and their cats are all suffering of various conditions or illnesses.

Does this mean that there's something wrong with the person with 20 cats or is it the person with 4 that has a problem.

Regardless, this is completely off topic from the original post.

Edit: And that study is idiotic.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Faerluna;4963614 said:
Not much to tell. We've been a couple for 9 years, married for 6, one daughter and a son on the way.

Congrats to you both.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
theogt;4963333 said:
For some reason, I've never really trusted people that own only cats.

Same here. I can't explain it, but it's been a gut feeling... not a hatred of cats, but a gut feeling. I don't trust them. LOL

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
...but here goes.

1. Let your cats out on a regular basis, but leash them. Their quality of life is not that bad and they will be in optimal health and stimulation.

Letting them outdoors to roam is probably the number one cause of cat injuries or death. As one poste has already stated his cats have come home missing an appendage or two.

2. Leash them in an are where they can find shelter from the sun and the elements. Leave them a water dish.

We leash each of our four cats on a separate 30 foot steel lead away from trees and objects where they could hang themselves. There are short bushes and sheds and arbours for the cats to find shade as my wife is an avid gardener of flowers, etc.

3. Cats will poop on concrete, but there is serious reasons for this.

a. They are sick.
b. They are terrified and new to the environment.
c. They are masking a smell by middening. Cats typically midden because another animal has left an offending smell. Ex. You move to a new house and there was a dog that lived there previously. The dog would pee in the basement concrete floor or typically urinate on the wheels of the previous owner's car in the driveway. Cat comes by thinking this is my house and I don't feel comfortable smelling this dog so I am going to mask it.
d. Male cats may midden if they are left to wander in a neighbourhood and want to markt heir territory.

Short story. Pets are your responsibility. ALWAYS! Take good care of them. Be involved in their lives and they will enjoy a long healthy life. If you have a cat in your life whom you are actively involved with chances are your life will be extended.

Don't take care of your pet. Cause conflict with your neighbour and it will bring you stress. Stress typically reduces a person's life.

We have four cats, a dog and a rabbit. It's a ton of work. Clear five litter boxes three times a day. Brush the animals three times a week. Vacuum the whole house once a day. Brush the animals teeth every night.

Pick up poo from the yard once a week. Shine rain or snow. Snow's best cause it's frozen.

Our family of five humans love our family of eleven.

TheDallasDon

AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee
Reaction score
Faerluna;4963614 said:

Ok I get ur pic now...

I thought u were just a big fan of cinny buns lol

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
davidyee;4966680 said:
...but here goes.

1. Let your cats out on a regular basis, but leash them. Their quality of life is not that bad and they will be in optimal health and stimulation.

Letting them outdoors to roam is probably the number one cause of cat injuries or death. As one poste has already stated his cats have come home missing an appendage or two.

2. Leash them in an are where they can find shelter from the sun and the elements. Leave them a water dish.

We leash each of our four cats on a separate 30 foot steel lead away from trees and objects where they could hang themselves. There are short bushes and sheds and arbours for the cats to find shade as my wife is an avid gardener of flowers, etc.

a. They are sick.
c. They are masking a smell by middening. Cats typically midden because another animal has left an offending smell. Ex. You move to a new house and there was a dog that lived there previously. The dog would pee in the basement concrete floor or typically urinate on the wheels of the previous owner's car in the driveway. Cat comes by thinking this is my house and I don't feel comfortable smelling this dog so I am going to mask it.
d. Male cats may midden if they are left to wander in a neighbourhood and want to markt heir territory.

Short story. Pets are your responsibility. ALWAYS! Take good care of them. Be involved in their lives and they will enjoy a long healthy life. If you have a cat in your life whom you are actively involved with chances are your life will be extended.

Don't take care of your pet. Cause conflict with your neighbour and it will bring you stress. Stress typically reduces a person's life.

We have four cats, a dog and a rabbit. It's a ton of work. Clear five litter boxes three times a day. Brush the animals three times a week. Vacuum the whole house once a day. Brush the animals teeth every night.

Pick up poo from the yard once a week. Shine rain or snow. Snow's best cause it's frozen.

Excellent:starspin

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
davidyee;4966680 said:
...but here goes.

a. They are sick.

How do you get your cat on a leash? My wife is a life long cat owner and since we're married, I now own a cat. She's never been able to and we tried just for kicks with our cat, which is a very docile Abby and she had none of it. They freak when anything wraps around any part of their bodies.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
vta;4967231 said:
How do you get your cat on a leash? My wife is a life long cat owner and since we're married, I now own a cat. She's never been able to and we tried just for kicks with our cat, which is a very docile Abby and she had none of it. They freak when anything wraps around any part of their bodies.

I had a cat that used to go on a harness and I'd take him outside. It wasn't like walking a dog, as he just liked to go lay in the grass. He understood that if he wanted to go outside, he had to get the harness, though, so he put up with it.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Faerluna;4963614 said:

How cute. You guys met on here, I assume?

Kilyin

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4967875 said:
How cute. You guys met on here, I assume?

No, we met before I knew about this forum. I converted her to a Cowboys fan. Further details not required.

And I don't really like cats, but I tolerate them!

:cool:

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
Kilyin;4967997 said:
No, we met before I knew about this forum. I converted her to a Cowboys fan. Further details not required.

Just two star crossed Clerics? Ascending at Dawn? :)

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
vta;4967231 said:

...the $3.99 cat harness from Walmart. Excellent product. We just make sure it is a snug fit and not too tight.

Leash their neck first and then their body. To ease them into the process have some cat treats on your lap and leash them while feeding them. Then let them walk around inside the house with the harness on.

It may take some adjusting, but once they get outside the outdoors is way more interesting than the harness.

We use food at the start to train our pets on all things. Harnessing, gluing on cat paws, clipping nails, brushing their teeth and brushing their coats.

Food is a powerful motivator to help them learn that certain tasks are not scary.

Right now it is minus 20 celcius so just for fun I opened the door for one of our cats with no leash. He took two steps and then took two steps back into the house.

I guess some animals are motivated by the same things humans are sometimes.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
Kilyin;4967997 said:

And I don't really like cats, but I tolerate them!

:cool:

Oh, please. lol

:D