Letting Dak go will be the best thing Cowboys can do

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
We will get a third round compensatory pick at minimum plus the cap savings if Dak walks after this season.
Yup.

Meanwhile, Dakota will probably be making the veteran's minimum in Cleveland, Jacksonville, or Vegas. I've said the entire time his agent is giving him the worst advice ever. France acts like he's representing the second coming of Joe Montana.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry and the Cowboys getting bashed by local and national media for not getting a deal done with Dak.

Silly

Reaction score
I mean if you let him go, then you are stuck in the draft. A first round QB has about a 2/3 of being a bust (more of being worse than Dak of course) based on the past few years. Assuming you draft a QB every 3 years in the first round that means on average it will take 3 first round picks and 6 years to find a QB who you can win with.

I think the browns have been looking ever since brian sipe left town. Replacing dak in 6 years would take a miracle.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Lmao. Well your son should see how terrible your takes are. For one, this OL has not been that great since his rookie year. Above average WRs? Cooper is so hit and miss. Dez was at the tail end of his great productivity.

Did you even mention Dak playing for the worst coaching staff in the NFL who has zero idea how to prep or adjust? Sure didn't.

Another terrible take about Dak. Par for the course.
I think Dak is better than the OP does.
But if you don't think Dallas has a top 5 oline (have been ranked top1 at best and 5 at worst Dak's whole career) and good to very good WRs, I don't know if you can argue rationally

KingLerxst

Reaction score
1st fallacy. He’s not asking to be paid like Rodgers,Brees,Brady or any other considered elite QB. He’s asking to be paid the market value of any QB that would have accomplished the same as he has so far. Kirk Cousins landed a historic contract. And what the hell had he done to “earn” it? If Dak played for the Giants the last 4 years with the same productivity. He’d be asking for the same. And the Giants would be paying him. If Jones has the same productivity over the next few years. He will be asking for even more than Dak is now, because that will be his market value. Like it or not. QB’s get paid the largest contract. And that will continue from now on.

2nd fallacy. Dak is only a product of his o line or other talent around him. Roger Staubach was a God to me. And I would never consider comparing him to Dak. But he also had guys like Dorsett, Pearson and many others now in the HOF. In Super Bowl VI he had a whopping 119 yards passing and 2 td’s. While Garrison and Thomas had 169 yards rushing between the two of them. The team had over 200 yards rushing that day. Many of Dak’s critics today would be telling you that Cowboys team could win with any QB and Roger isn’t worth paying. Again. I’m not saying Dak is remotely as talented as Roger. But the fact remains. It takes a number of good to great players and coaching on any team to win consistently. Would we even know who Tom Brady is had he had the misfortune of being drafted by the Browns or any other consistently badly run team? Dak can be paid what he’s asking and still leave the team with plenty of space to provide the necessary talent. Even if he’ll never be considered “Elite”.

And anybody who makes a claim that Dak will never win any “big games” or can’t lead them to a Super Bowl is talking out of their ***. If Eli Manning,Ben Rothlisberger, Nick Foles, Jim McMahon, Mark Rypien, Joe Flacco, Brad Johnson,Jeff Hostetler, and Trent Dilfer can win. Dak Prescott sure as hell can!

stiletto

Reaction score
I don't know if it is "best" but it is probably the "right" thing to do ultimately for the sake of the salary cap and team overall. Dak and his agent are doing the Kirk Cousin's thing. Follow the $$$. It is what it is... Better for Dak possibly but not in the long term interest of the team. Love Dak but he is not Patrick Mahomes and if he just wants top $$ (or what seems to me more), it probably will have to be somewhere else. Just hope he gives us a couple great years under the franchise tag.

I am OK with him leaving in a couple years. Just hope the front office sees that he will need replaced with someone >>> than an Alex Smith type guy.

stiletto

Reaction score
And anybody who makes a claim that Dak will never win any “big games” or can’t lead them to a Super Bowl is talking out of their ***. If Eli Manning,Ben Rothlisberger, Nick Foles, Jim McMahon, Mark Rypien, Joe Flacco, Brad Johnson,Jeff Hostetler, and Trent Dilfer can win. Dak Prescott sure as hell can!

Uhh for the most part the names you listed won SB's with unbelievable/ALL-WORLD defenses. You wanna show me how Dallas is even remotely attempting to build a defense that is going to be for the record books?? Dak can definitely win games but he is not the type to take a team on his back and win it all when down 21-0.

aria

Reaction score
Lmao. Well your son should see how terrible your takes are. For one, this OL has not been that great since his rookie year. Above average WRs? Cooper is so hit and miss. Dez was at the tail end of his great productivity.

Did you even mention Dak playing for the worst coaching staff in the NFL who has zero idea how to prep or adjust? Sure didn't.

Another terrible take about Dak. Par for the course.
:rolleyes: Yeah, 3 top 5 run blocking O lines and 1 run blocking O line that was ranked 10th in 4 years isn’t great. Dallas has consistently had a top 5 average O line for several years now according to most sports analysts.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me how many people here just pick the contract amount that they want out of all of the ones floated out there by sportswriters and insiders that have only speculated and guessed on those amounts. Not a single guess has been substantiated with a direct quote from any of the 4 people actually involved in the negotiations and people here are basing all sorts of things off these guesses. The only amount we know to be factual is the tag amount based on there being games played this season and they are televised so the league gets that TV contract money. They have until 3:00 central time and it wouldn't surprise me that at 1:00 there is some announcement. The Cowboys have a history of in the past to sign contracts just a hour or 2 before a deadline.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
If the Cowboys can’t get a deal done it would appear the Cowboys are prepared to let Dak go next year.

Of course in your many private conversations you've had with both Jerry and Stephen they told you this.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Giants fan here. Not an enemy though. My own son is a huge Cowboys fan and I flew him to Dallas to watch his Cowboys twice. There are plenty of Cowboys fans who can vouch for me. The heck, I watched Cowboys-Giants game at Metlife with @YosemiteSam

With all that said, something my son and I agree on is Dak being a product of Cowboys offensive strength in Offensive Line and Zeke and above avg WR’s.

Dak isn’t bad. But he isn’t the world beater either. He isn’t Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees or Tom Brady. Yet he is asking to be paid as such.

Let him go Dallas. You won’t be sorry.

P.S. I will not post on this thread again. My son asked me to start this thread so he could read counter arguments. Please be respectful knowing a teenage Cowboys fan will be reading what you write about his father.

Peace!

As far as getting a franchise QB, Dak is a good pick.

But QBs are over priced, and that's particularly true when we have Dalton on the bench for 3mil. Long term, I'd rather the team devote resources to getting a QB on the cheap.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Of course in your many private conversations you've had with both Jerry and Stephen they told you this.
No, I’m coming to these conclusions from sportswriters and beat writers who are reporting who are closer to the situation. It’s called opinions smartarse. This is a fan forum not a news service. Lol

Jeffkills

Reaction score
Dalton can hold it down until we make a trade and a half for a top QB....

I used to LOVE Dak because of his work ethic plus the rook season, but this just ins't what a true Cowboy for life does...

You let Jerry pay you, and you say thank you, sir... Dak would be set for LIFE - treated like a hero, by everyone, forever!

Nah, he'd rather be a team like the Bills... We barely knew you, greedy *******...

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Giants fan here. Not an enemy though. My own son is a huge Cowboys fan and I flew him to Dallas to watch his Cowboys twice. There are plenty of Cowboys fans who can vouch for me. The heck, I watched Cowboys-Giants game at Metlife with @YosemiteSam

With all that said, something my son and I agree on is Dak being a product of Cowboys offensive strength in Offensive Line and Zeke and above avg WR’s.

Dak isn’t bad. But he isn’t the world beater either. He isn’t Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees or Tom Brady. Yet he is asking to be paid as such.

Let him go Dallas. You won’t be sorry.

P.S. I will not post on this thread again. My son asked me to start this thread so he could read counter arguments. Please be respectful knowing a teenage Cowboys fan will be reading what you write about his father.

Peace!
All I know is that your son is smarter than you! BTW, you're OC, Garrett sucks! Lol! Salud, bro!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me how many people here just pick the contract amount that they want out of all of the ones floated out there by sportswriters and insiders that have only speculated and guessed on those amounts. Not a single guess has been substantiated with a direct quote from any of the 4 people actually involved in the negotiations and people here are basing all sorts of things off these guesses. The only amount we know to be factual is the tag amount based on there being games played this season and they are televised so the league gets that TV contract money. They have until 3:00 central time and it wouldn't surprise me that at 1:00 there is some announcement. The Cowboys have a history of in the past to sign contracts just a hour or 2 before a deadline.
If you don’t want opinions , speculations , etc why in the hell would you come on a fan forum? Just stay by your TV, radio and wait for official news. Geeze

Jeffkills

Reaction score
To the OP, LOL that your son is a Cowboy!!!

I'd never allow something like that to happen....

My kid would be 6 feet under before I let him be a NY fan....

Nah, you sound like a great Dad - I mean you'd have to be since your son's a Cowboy's fan..