Linebacker Group

quickccc

Reaction score
Was thinking the same.

Seemed like several of our UDFA received higher accolades than Harper.

My money is on Hansford making the 53.

Either way Francis Bernard's time in Big D has probably expired.

Did the Cowboys bring back/re-sign Francis Bernard ? i know they did with Luke Gifford, ...but Bernard ..?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I don’t remember Cox being a poor run defender. I remember it being one of his strengths actually. He had a ton of TFL knifing through at LSU.
It was a legitimate concern also by the media scouts prior to the draft.

conner01

Reaction score
Early base downs (run package) we will see Parsons and Lve. When the team goes into the nickel, Cox is expected to replace Neal as the team's coverage linebacker, where Kearse should be also playing a similar role. Quinn did run a lot of 3 safety looks last season.

I think the biggest linebacker need heading into the offseason activities is another run down linebacker. If either Parsons or Lve go down, they could really struggle to defend the run. Cox biggest reason why he fell to the third day of the draft was due to him being a very poor run defender. Also, I think they have a specific role for him. Clark would be an ideal player for this group, but he is likely going to be a red shirt player. Player like Anthony Hitchens would be ideal, one who can be an effective two down player who comes off the field against the pass.
I’d love a big beast with great instincts in the middle
I’d love to see that guy taking the pounding a MLB takes rather than parsons
Hitch would be perfect
Just early downs and let him be the guy taking that pounding

fivetwos

Reaction score
Did the Cowboys bring back/re-sign Francis Bernard ? i know they did with Luke Gifford, ...but Bernard ..?
They have his exclusive rights, so if they didn't cut him he should still be around.

I have a personal issue....every time I hear the name Luke Gifford, I immediately think of Jason Garrett for whatever reason, so he can be shown the door at any time as far as I'm concerned lol.

quickccc

Reaction score
They have his exclusive rights, so if they didn't cut him he should still be around.

I have a personal issue....every time I hear the name Luke Gifford, I immediately think of Jason Garrett for whatever reason, so he can be shown the door at any time as far as I'm concerned lol.

Gifford was one of those that had a key blocked punt during reg. season, so long as he's a big contributor on Bones' special teams unit, i'm still for him being
on the roster,..in that role but i still don't want Gifford being the first reserve in the defense where he limits us .

Aside from very inexperienced Cox, what other legit options and choices that we'll have behind LVE ?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Gifford was one of those that had a key blocked punt during reg. season, so long as he's a big contributor on Bones' special teams unit, i'm still for him being
on the roster,..in that role but i still don't want Gifford being the first reserve in the defense where he limits us .

Aside from very inexperienced Cox, what other legit options and choices that we'll have behind LVE ?
Thats a very fair point.

Gifford is just there. I'd rather gamble on the upside of one of these UDFA guys as being an eventual starter, even if I have to give up a little on ST, which is minimal.

That's why I don't like wasting cap space or even a roster spot on a guy like Goodwin. Not like he is Steve Tasker.

quickccc

Reaction score
Thats a very fair point.

Gifford is just there. I'd rather gamble on the upside of one of these UDFA guys as being an eventual starter, even if I have to give up a little on ST, which is minimal.

That's why I don't like wasting cap space or even a roster spot on a guy like Goodwin. Not like he is Steve Tasker.

But not like Goodwin is an non-productive bum, either. He's your best special teamer on coverage,. That's value in todays special teams.
He's producing on the field.

If it was just the opposite and he was stinking it up with whiffs and penalties, then it would be a waste of cap space.
Keeping and continuing on with a Maurice Canaday is a waste of cap space, imo .. is he still on the roster ?

starfan1

Reaction score
We will see what Ridgeway can do. But last year, we had the worst rotation of DTs in the NFL. We invest next to nothing in that position.
I wont disagree that we havent invested in that but in regards to this years draft Im not sure how many opportunuties there were to get someone other than ridgeway when we drafted. I mean we could have grabbed the Conneticut DT but we had a huge need with OT and replacing gregory with williams was solid. Last year taking Parsons over the corners and barmore i support as well. sometimes you have to go with BPA of need. Jay ratliff was probably the last beast we had on the line Im hoping someone on our roster steps up

quickccc

Reaction score
Hitch would be perfect

- Nope Hitch would not be perfect, imo. .. an average LB with average pass coverage skills and now at this point of his career
even slower, older and less effective than at in his prime as a decent LB here in Dallas.

- Bobby Wagner whose now signed on with the Rams, and whose been a perennial pro bowler playmaker and leader for many years, would've
been a far closer answer to perfect than a declining average MLB like Hitchen.

fivetwos

Reaction score
But not like Goodwin is an non-productive bum, either. He's your best special teamer on coverage,. That's value in todays special teams.
He's producing on the field.

If it was just the opposite and he was stinking it up with whiffs and penalties, then it would be a waste of cap space.
Keeping and continuing on with a Maurice Canaday is a waste of cap space, imo .. is he still on the roster ?
Not even sure on Canaday. I think he was cut during last season but I could be wrong. Looking it up is too easy lol.

With Goodwin, it's not like we ever see any type of remarkable play as a gunner. Rather keep a corner with a shot at an upside.

quickccc

Reaction score
Not even sure on Canaday. I think he was cut during last season but I could be wrong. Looking it up is too easy lol.

With Goodwin, it's not like we ever see any type of remarkable play as a gunner. Rather keep a corner with a shot at an upside.

i recall Canaday playing in a couple of reg season games in the defense - and he was immediately torched in those games too.
And didn't see him since .. i didn't have him on my projected CB number unit this year anyway.
i believe we are keeping 7 CBs. this year ...

quickccc

Reaction score

That CB with a shot at upside, also has to prove he's a special teams demon, ..much less a proven special teams demon.
Goodwin has already done that. He's proven, he's productive. And it 's not like he's asking to be a 3rd or 4th CB.

Special teams obviously doesn't mean much to casual fans, but it too often proves to either be a game breaker momentum that shows up in wins, as well as
stumbling mishaps that will be showing up as losses.

fivetwos

Reaction score
That CB with a shot at upside, also has to prove he's a special teams demon, ..much less a proven special teams demon.
Goodwin has already done that. He's proven, he's productive. And it 's not like he's asking to be a 3rd or 4th CB.

Special teams obviously doesn't mean much to casual fans, but it too often proves to either be a game breaker momentum that shows up in wins, as well as
stumbling mishaps that will be showing up as losses.
I agree with the premise, I just don't agree with the demon part.

Need to give me a big play every so often for that. I'm not seeing it.

I just don't believe in a designated gunner the way you would a long snapper.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think LVE will have a good year. And Cox was doing pretty well. Wasn’t it Cox that about knocked the giants qb out on a goal line play. Tried to run Cox over. That didn’t pan out well for him..

glimmerman

Reaction score
Was thinking the same.

Seemed like several of our UDFA received higher accolades than Harper.

My money is on Hansford making the 53.

Either way Francis Bernard's time in Big D has probably expired.

I forgot about Luke Gifford for obvious reasons lol. Wonder if one of these guys doesn't take his job also.
I had hopes for Benard. He was around the ball a lot.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I had hopes for Benard. He was around the ball a lot.
Yeah me too. I liked him initially....thought the defense could use someone with his fire.

It's not gonna happen. He isnt making the 2022 Cowboys.

Even if he slightly outplays one of the UDFAs, I'd probably rather gamble on the upside of the latter.

This is a splitting hairs thing, as these guys are the ones that only dress here and there.

Far from the biggest problems on this team.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Hitch would be perfect
Right now Lve is the one taking on the blockers, which allows Parsons freedom to attack with less resistance.