Linebacker Group

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Early base downs (run package) we will see Parsons and Lve. When the team goes into the nickel, Cox is expected to replace Neal as the team's coverage linebacker, where Kearse should be also playing a similar role. Quinn did run a lot of 3 safety looks last season.

I think the biggest linebacker need heading into the offseason activities is another run down linebacker. If either Parsons or Lve go down, they could really struggle to defend the run. Cox biggest reason why he fell to the third day of the draft was due to him being a very poor run defender. Also, I think they have a specific role for him. Clark would be an ideal player for this group, but he is likely going to be a red shirt player. Player like Anthony Hitchens would be ideal, one who can be an effective two down player who comes off the field against the pass.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have fan favorite Gifford. All is fine. :laugh:

Yeah I am a little concerned with the depth. LB really is as ignored as S & DT overall. Seems to me that had 1 or 2 years where LB was decent, looked to be a strength. Then it fell apart. So maybe 2 good years in the last 20 or more they had decent LB depth.
Last year they went into TC with like 7 LB's. I think they have 8 or 9 on the roster now. Not a lot of competition. But yet they insist on 14 WR's for TC. They have 12 right now.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Early base downs (run package) we will see Parsons and Lve. When the team goes into the nickel, Cox is expected to replace Neal as the team's coverage linebacker, where Kearse should be also playing a similar role. Quinn did run a lot of 3 safety looks last season.

I think the biggest linebacker need heading into the offseason activities is another run down linebacker. If either Parsons or Lve go down, they could really struggle to defend the run. Cox biggest reason why he fell to the third day of the draft was due to him being a very poor run defender. Also, I think they have a specific role for him. Clark would be an ideal player for this group, but he is likely going to be a red shirt player. Player like Anthony Hitchens would be ideal, one who can be an effective two down player who comes off the field against the pass.
No Francis Bernard love? Lol.

I think they will want to see what they have in camp and go from there.

A guy like Hansford may impress enough to make everyone comfortable, and I'd rather gamble on the upside of a UDFA that makes the team than a vet.

Can always add one after final cuts if need be, and I think that's where they are at with it at this time.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I don’t remember Cox being a poor run defender. I remember it being one of his strengths actually. He had a ton of TFL knifing through at LSU.

He was noted mainly in several draft profiles I read as being noted for his coverage skills, but also noting that he needed to add strength.

Didn't see any comments about his run defense at all, though sometimes it's not clear what the profiler is saying, they often don't say "good run defender" or "bad run defender".

Actually I think the Cowboys should use him more in a strong safety role, which is what I'd do, a Darren Woodson type of role. But I doubt the Dallas coaches will do that.

:(

chagus

Reaction score

Didnt Cox knock the snot out of that Giants QB who was RUNNING?

morasp

Reaction score
Keep an eye on Aaron "Hansford

Overview
Athletic inside linebacker who might require a more attack-oriented scheme that allows him to play faster and with less reservation. Hansford failed to use his 2020 season as a springboard into bigger and better things in 2021. He has speed to range from sideline to sideline and is a fundamentally sound tackler who won't let many slip from his grasp. His blitz potential should not be discounted and he clearly has the traits to become a more robust playmaker. However, the difference between starter and backup will be rooted in whether or not he can do a better job of diagnosing blocking schemes and play with better trigger quickness.
Strengths
  • Has potential to make explosive plays.
  • Athletically gifted with oily hips and smooth change of direction.
  • Good lateral acceleration and agility.
  • Plays with sideline-to-sideline range.
  • Able to cut off angles when stalking outside runs.
  • Power to meet and stop ball-carrier at point of impact.
  • Breaks down into balanced, wrap-up positioning.
  • Flashed major blitz talent in previous seasons.
  • Rockets into backfield with ability to elude blitz pickup.
  • Substantially better with coverage recognition in 2021.
Aaron Hansford Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com

quickccc

Reaction score

Thanks for Sharing,..

- In todays trending offenses , you need off the ball LBs that are 3 down players, and equally effective vs the run as well vs pass.

- Frankly in this pass happy league, I don’t believe in “run downs “ LBs as I think the NFL passes too heavily to be just run downs when it comes to LB play.
And that’s playing TEs and pass catching backs.

- As an offense, why wait on 3rd downs when I could gain big plus plays on first downs vs Anthony Hitchens or Damien Wilson who are suspect coverage guys ?
Parsons- as a rookie- seems average in coverage, we know that’s not his forte, but as all around LB, he’s gonna be asked to occasionally drop in coverage.

Why ? because LBs in 3-man fronts gives QBs fits when they surprisingly drop into the passing lanes- It’s hard for QBs to anticipate and dictate where certain
passing lanes will be if we have expected rush LBs suddenly dropping into passing lanes.

- Nowadays that’s why we are seeing DEs actually dropping into passing lanes.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Can Hitchens still play?
What are his salary demands?

quickccc

Reaction score
Keep an eye on Aaron "Hansford

Overview
Athletic inside linebacker who might require a more attack-oriented scheme that allows him to play faster and with less reservation. Hansford failed to use his 2020 season as a springboard into bigger and better things in 2021. He has speed to range from sideline to sideline and is a fundamentally sound tackler who won't let many slip from his grasp. His blitz potential should not be discounted and he clearly has the traits to become a more robust playmaker. However, the difference between starter and backup will be rooted in whether or not he can do a better job of diagnosing blocking schemes and play with better trigger quickness.
Strengths
  • Has potential to make explosive plays.
  • Athletically gifted with oily hips and smooth change of direction.
  • Good lateral acceleration and agility.
  • Plays with sideline-to-sideline range.
  • Able to cut off angles when stalking outside runs.
  • Power to meet and stop ball-carrier at point of impact.
  • Breaks down into balanced, wrap-up positioning.
  • Flashed major blitz talent in previous seasons.
  • Rockets into backfield with ability to elude blitz pickup.
  • Substantially better with coverage recognition in 2021.
Aaron Hansford Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com

- Interesting how Hansford was a higher rated LB prospect by several draft sites and sources than 6th round pick Dwayne Harper, but yet he
went undrafted while Cowboys were compelled to select Harper to keep him from having to bid for his undrafted services.

- I read where Hansford was being converted from WR (4 star prep school recruit) to LB at Texas A&M, so he's still going through a transition at LB.
i think i read from Ourlads profile that Aaron made plays in space and pursuit and made plays on the ball.

- I get the early impression that Harper may be a better special teams player at collegiate level and combined with his physical measurements
and potential they felt they had to draft him with the last pick.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I have similar concerns - reason why Leo Chenal was on my draft radar.

He would have been unbelievable in middle allowing Parsons freedom to roam all over front 7.

Hoping one of Hansford or Jackson steps up and challenge LVE for MIKE minutes.

Harper is more ST than LB right now.

fivetwos

Reaction score
- Interesting how Hansford was a higher rated LB prospect by several draft sites and sources than 6th round pick Dwayne Harper, but yet he
went undrafted while Cowboys were compelled to select Harper to keep him from having to bid for his undrafted services.

- I read where Hansford was being converted from WR (4 star prep school recruit) to LB at Texas A&M, so he's still going through a transition at LB.
i think i read from Ourlads profile that Aaron made plays in space and pursuit and made plays on the ball.

- I get the early impression that Harper may be a better special teams player at collegiate level and combined with his physical measurements
and potential they felt they had to draft him with the last pick.
Was thinking the same.

Seemed like several of our UDFA received higher accolades than Harper.

My money is on Hansford making the 53.

Either way Francis Bernard's time in Big D has probably expired.

I forgot about Luke Gifford for obvious reasons lol. Wonder if one of these guys doesn't take his job also.