Linebacker Group

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Early base downs (run package) we will see Parsons and Lve. When the team goes into the nickel, Cox is expected to replace Neal as the team's coverage linebacker, where Kearse should be also playing a similar role. Quinn did run a lot of 3 safety looks last season.

I think the biggest linebacker need heading into the offseason activities is another run down linebacker. If either Parsons or Lve go down, they could really struggle to defend the run. Cox biggest reason why he fell to the third day of the draft was due to him being a very poor run defender. Also, I think they have a specific role for him. Clark would be an ideal player for this group, but he is likely going to be a red shirt player. Player like Anthony Hitchens would be ideal, one who can be an effective two down player who comes off the field against the pass.

I think we go with DE/LB tweeners when they want more beef.

Let's pretend the rookie NT (VG) will be decent.
Gallimore, Osa, VG
Lawrence, LVE, Armstrong, Parsons

Looks like plenty of run-stopping to me.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I had hopes for Benard. He was around the ball a lot.
They kept Francis around as much as possible, so even when cut he can be on the call list in case of emergency depth/ST issues.
For a UDFA hopeful, Bernard did get some good exposure and thats a good thing for both the player and the team.
He was one of my top hopefuls from that UDFA class, and we should have let him get some reps at RB.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
This is why Lve is a good fit next to Parsons as he has the ability to do both. Yes, not elite at either, but not a liability like Jaylon was. Clark also has that skillset if he is able to return healthy in 2023.
I believe so as well, and feel that the back seven will improve overall with players returning like Cox and LVE, there is talent and system familiarity already understood, meaning less time to transition.
If Clark gets back earlier than expected than that is a bonus, this was a great pick at that point in the draft with several 5th round darts, why not.
Clark only had the herniated disc procedure due to pre draft discovery I believe at Combine Physical, now rather or not he was playing with it and knowing it or not, only Clark will ever know that.
If Clark can recover as expected, he was being pre ranked with Loyd and Dean prior to the herniated disc discovery.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I believe so as well, and feel that the back seven will improve overall with players returning like Cox and LVE, there is talent and system familiarity already understood, meaning less time to transition.
If Clark gets back earlier than expected than that is a bonus, this was a great pick at that point in the draft with several 5th round darts, why not.
Clark only had the herniated disc procedure due to pre draft discovery I believe at Combine Physical, now rather or not he was playing with it and knowing it or not, only Clark will ever know that.
If Clark can recover as expected, he was being pre ranked with Loyd and Dean prior to the herniated disc discovery.
I don't think we can rely on Clark playing this yr, but having both Lve and Cox being big parts of the positional group. Lve has the ability to play any spot, where Cox specializes in coverage.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think we go with DE/LB tweeners when they want more beef.

Let's pretend the rookie NT (VG) will be decent.
Gallimore, Osa, VG
Lawrence, LVE, Armstrong, Parsons

Looks like plenty of run-stopping to me.
Yes, they can use more of a 3-4 front to stop the run, still need those 2 inside backers, if one goes down, who replaces the starter?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Still need depth behind LVE due to being injury prone.

And there really isnt any player that will push LVE this season.
Yes, that is the need. Get someone to compete against Lve and have a backup ready if he goes down, which his history suggests, although he did play a full season last yr.

Reactions: BAT

quickccc

Reaction score
I don't think we can rely on Clark playing this yr, but having both Lve and Cox being big parts of the positional group. Lve has the ability to play any spot, where Cox specializes in coverage.

1) I'd like to hope Clarke makes not a full recovery but a return to his previous form.
2) He'll essentially be a rookie next year as he's really being red-shirted stashed this year (ala Jaylon)
3) being a Butkus finalist, and in the most competitive college conference, a 5th rd pick is absolute low/high reward situation; well worth a late rd gamble.
4) we'll just see how this Clarke situation works out as it goes.

blueblood70

Reaction score
all the overreactive concern before there's a real issue,.they have Camps , OTas, and preseason games to shake this out..IF and big if they feel the need is there they can grab a vet for presence and depth.
I trust quinn will have close on all of this during the REAL offseason that starts in june..

Id rather see some of the younger guys compete and fight for jobs then add a vet at this point.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
1) I'd like to hope Clarke makes not a full recovery but a return to his previous form.
2) He'll essentially be a rookie next year as he's really being red-shirted stashed this year (ala Jaylon)
3) being a Butkus finalist, and in the most competitive college conference, a 5th rd pick is absolute low/high reward situation; well worth a late rd gamble.
4) we'll just see how this Clarke situation works out as it goes.
Certainly worth the gamble with our 5th rd comp selection. If healthy and that is still the big question mark, has the ability to replace Lve on the roster if they so chose.

quickccc

Reaction score
Certainly worth the gamble with our 5th rd comp selection. If healthy and that is still the big question mark, has the ability to replace Lve on the roster if they so chose.

Clarke has the physical tools they are looking for, but we dunno yet if he has the ability to replace LVE.
He's yet to play in the NFL. We'd need to see if he plays as good as he looks on paper.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yes, they can use more of a 3-4 front to stop the run, still need those 2 inside backers, if one goes down, who replaces the starter?

With a true NT up front and DE sized OLBs you've got plenty of beef to protect smaller ILBs who should have the coverage responsibilities over the DE/LBs anyway. Everyone else takes up blockers to keep the ILBs free to tackle.

Likely we dig up some veteran ILB on the back end of his career to give us some experienced depth. Those guys are cheap and easy to come by. ILBs are the RBs of the defense. They take the most abuse, and are churned.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Clarke has the physical tools they are looking for, but we dunno yet if he has the ability to replace LVE.
He's yet to play in the NFL. We'd need to see if he plays as good as he looks on paper.

Investment for the future who doesn't take up a roster spot today. I love those guys. The more downroster rookies you can IR the year, the better.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Glad they spent a 5th rounder on him and not a 2nd rounder.
Guess they learned their lesson with Jaylon?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
IMO we are paper thin at LBer. Parsons is elite. LVE is average at best. Cox is coming off injury so is a question mark.

After them? Late round/UDFA options. Very little depth. Very little done to improve:

This is a classic “throw lots of numbers at a position and hope something sticks” Dallas GM/personnel dept special
We do need more proven depth

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Jaylon is only a name on the 2nd round list of hopefuls.
I was actually surprised when someone posted the 2nd round history.
Yep we threw the dice quite a bit on injury prospects.
I think Jerry learned his lesson.
Gambling is fine, just do it with later round picks.