Linehan is the reason we are in the playoffs this year

cowboys1981

Reaction score
The new philosophical approach to our offense is why we have had success. Its the approach Garrett wanted. He wants an offense that emulates the 90's approach and he did it.

While we're at it lets just give credit to Norv Turner and say he's the reason behind the 92-93 Championships.

Garrett is doing a great job overlooking all three phases. Most importantly the players play hard for this coach and have nothing but respect for him. These are intangible elements that are vital and often get ignored.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Linehan had nothing to do with this defense just like Rod had nothing to do with the offense. JG as a walk around coach did his job. To me we got more out of the defense than any aspect of the team, it took a while but they became real. The offense always had the potential to score.
But again it took the whole staff in the right spots to accomplish what they did. How anyone can single out one coach at this point I will never understand.

is pete carroll a walk around coach? is mike tomlin a walk around coach? is john fox a walk around coach? is Ron river a walk around coach? is chuck pagano a walk around coach? please tell me the difference

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I agree. I would never say this was Garrett alone no more than I would say Jimmy did it alone, having Norv and Wannstead then Butch Davis along with the position coaches were a big part of winning SB's. Like most things in team sports or business success has a lot to do with those around you.

which coach has ever done it alone? coaches are in leadership position. leaders surround themselves with people who will help them succeed. its idiotic to think a coach has to do everything. does a CEO of IBM, GE or any other organization do it all by himself? code, design, market, sell, etc.

I don't get some of the idiots around here

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Linehan had nothing to do with this defense just like Rod had nothing to do with the offense. JG as a walk around coach did his job. To me we got more out of the defense than any aspect of the team, it took a while but they became real. The offense always had the potential to score.
But again it took the whole staff in the right spots to accomplish what they did. How anyone can single out one coach at this point I will never understand.

Both Coordinators have a job to do and the HC job is to bring it all together. Offense and defense while they are units of themselves a team is a combination of all and it falls to the HC to bring it all together. Garrett has kept an even keel throughout the season during high points and low points, always keeping the team focused on the next game and you hear the players saying the same things that Garrett has preached to this team. Win a game great time to get to work and get ready for the next, lose a game well time to get to work and get ready for the next game.
The message was the same once we won the NFC East, wear the hats then give them to someone since our goals are much higher then told them we get back to work on Tuesday for the next game.
Had Jason and Jerry listened to Jimmy advice from the get go maybe things would have come together sooner I don’t know but Jimmy was right Jason focused needed to be the HC of the Dallas Cowboys not a dual role of HC\OC

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I agree. I would never say this was Garrett alone no more than I would say Jimmy did it alone, having Norv and Wannstead then Butch Davis along with the position coaches were a big part of winning SB's. Like most things in team sports or business success has a lot to do with those around you.

sorry, jimmy didn't do it alone. he had a whole slew of coaches who went on to become head coaches that helped him do it. jimmy brought a system, attitude and surrounded himself with similar coaches and just coordinated among them. set the expectations. give them the players and help manage at a high level. he didn't call games. norv did. zampese did, etc. they worked together with a single philosophy and single goal.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
which coach has ever done it alone? coaches are in leadership position. leaders surround themselves with people who will help them succeed. its idiotic to think a coach has to do everything. does a CEO of IBM, GE or any other organization do it all by himself? code, design, market, sell, etc.

I don't get some of the idiots around here

You got it, Landry was a great coach he had some pretty damn good coaches on that staff as well. Guys like Dan Reeves, Mike Ditka, Jerry Rhome, Ernie Stautner and a lot of others. people want to focus on one part of an overall successful team it is all the parts that make it so

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Garrett ain't calling plays again w/o JJ's sign off. But why would he want to mess with a good thing?

JJ's sign off? are you joking? where did you get this? can you provide any proof to substantiated such crap? are you leeblair by any chance?

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
is pete carroll a walk around coach? is mike tomlin a walk around coach? is john fox a walk around coach? is Ron river a walk around coach? is chuck pagano a walk around coach? please tell me the difference

Not all coaches are built the same. Jimmy didn't call plays and he did more than every coach you just listed. I'm not a Garrett homer nor detractor.
I feel bad for any coach that has Jerry for a boss. But we got to 12-4 with what we all expected to be a good offense and a really bad defense.
Some where in the middle there's a HC that got this team to believe they could win each and every week. Kudos to JG if that is even all he did.
Why feel any way else?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Not all coaches are built the same. Jimmy didn't call plays and he did more than every coach you just listed. I'm not a Garrett homer nor detractor.
I feel bad for any coach that has Jerry for a boss. But we got to 12-4 with what we all expected to be a good offense and a really bad defense.
Some where in the middle there's a HC that got this team to believe they could win each and every week. Kudos to JG if that is even all he did.
Why feel any way else?

not talking about Jimmy,. those coaches listed. why do they get credit for their teams, but we give credit to linehan and marinelli and not garrett?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This thread is evidence that people are gonna believe what they want to believe. Meanwhile, the rest of the league is contemplating whether or not Jason Garrett is the best candidate for Coach of the Year in the NFL.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I'm crediting Garrett, not sure why you think I'm not.

sorry, didn't mean to jump on you. I agree. credit goes to garrett as it should. he is the HC and did what a HC supposed to do. more important than anything is the team believes in him and follows his leadership.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Both Coordinators have a job to do and the HC job is to bring it all together. Offense and defense while they are units of themselves a team is a combination of all and it falls to the HC to bring it all together. Garrett has kept an even keel throughout the season during high points and low points, always keeping the team focused on the next game and you hear the players saying the same things that Garrett has preached to this team. Win a game great time to get to work and get ready for the next, lose a game well time to get to work and get ready for the next game.
The message was the same once we won the NFC East, wear the hats then give them to someone since our goals are much higher then told them we get back to work on Tuesday for the next game.
Had Jason and Jerry listened to Jimmy advice from the get go maybe things would have come together sooner I don’t know but Jimmy was right Jason focused needed to be the HC of the Dallas Cowboys not a dual role of HC\OC

I whole heartedly agree. Maybe I'm not conveying it right.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This thread is evidence that people are gonna believe what they want to believe. Meanwhile, the rest of the league is contemplating whether or not Jason Garrett is the best candidate for Coach of the Year in the NFL.

trolls will be trolls. they are attention ****** that we have to put up with.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
trolls will be trolls. they are attention ****** that we have to put up with.

I'm not sure OP is trolling. Maybe. I think it's more that people just have a hard time accepting they were wrong on the internet. Whatever it is, Garrett hired Linehan, so he gets credit either way as far as I'm concerned. I'm just really glad to see the process paying off a year or so late rather than having it not pay off in time at all. Can you imagine starting all over next season with a new staff when we were apparently as close as we shown ourselves to be this season? That would stink.

links18

Reaction score
JJ's sign off? are you joking? where did you get this? can you provide any proof to substantiated such crap? are you leeblair by any chance?

What's crap about that? Oh, I get it--we are in a feel good mood so anything that might be remotely spun as a criticism must be shouted down. Actually, there was nothing critical about it. JJ is the one who took away Garrett's play calling duties in the first place. He ain't getting them back without JJ's approval. It's just a fact. The thing about it is that it actually appears to have WORKED. Learn to pick your battles......

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What's crap about that? Oh, I get it--we are in a feel good mood so anything that might be remotely spun as a criticism must be shouted down. Actually, there was nothing critical about it. JJ is the one who took away Garrett's play calling duties in the first place. He ain't getting them back without JJ's approval. It's just a fact. The thing about it is that it actually appears to have WORKED. Learn to pick your battles......

show anything that would prove, even in the remotest that jerry took away garrett's play calling duties? do you have any inside information. I would even take your relationship with the building janitor as insider information. the bullshiet people throw around and try to pass on as fact.

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
This is really an idiotic thread bashing Garrett. He's the guy who kept working at it till he got the right staff. Heck, I thought it was crazy letting Rob Ryan go, but Garrett has proven himself right about that. It wasn't a quick fix changing defensive systems, but it seems to be working. Same thing on offense - Garrett kept tweaking, making difficult personnel changes, till he got the right group of coaches. He's doing the same thing with players. All that stuff he's done was not easy. Like most people, I was skeptical about some of his moves. But I think he's starting to look pretty dang good as an executive leading this team. Anybody who says they'd rather have Linehan than Garrett is a real bonehead.

links18

Reaction score
show anything that would prove, even in the remotest that jerry took away garrett's play calling duties? do you have any inside information. I would even take your relationship with the building janitor as insider information. the bullshiet people throw around and try to pass on as fact.

What do you think happened genius and where is your "proof"? You know what forget it. It isn't worth it.