Linehan is the reason we are in the playoffs this year

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What do you think happened genius and where is your "proof"? You know what forget it. It isn't worth it.

proof is when linehan said garrett told him he wants to run the ball like they did in the 90's. proof is when linehan said its a little strange for him to run the ball than pass it...google it or would you like me to do it for you....

links18

Reaction score
proof is when linehan said garrett told him he wants to run the ball like they did in the 90's. proof is when linehan said its a little strange for him to run the ball than pass it...google it or would you like me to do it for you....

Dude, Garrett lost play calling duties in 2013 to Bill freaking Callahan. You can google that. If you want to kid yourself that Garrett really wanted that all along then go ahead. Really not sure what has you so hot and bothered about this. It was ultimately a good idea.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dude, Garrett lost play calling duties in 2013 to Bill freaking Callahan. You can google that. If you want to kid yourself that Garrett really wanted that all along then go ahead. Really not sure what has you so hot and bothered about this. It was ultimately a good idea.

errr... not according to Jones or Jason or Callahan

http://offtherecordsports.com/2014/...l-relinquish-play-calling-for-real-this-time/

Jones' quote : "Jason was really your coordinator last year,” Jones said. “That’s a fact. That was one of the issues. It was unfair to Bill. But it was the offense that [Garrett] had had since [he] had got there and it was very difficult. That’s why we had such a tough time articulating it early. That’s why we made some of the switches we made during the middle of the season.”

remembrer all the hoopla on garret inserting himself in the play calls in the middle of the season!! I bet not.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4726234/jerry-jones-speaks-for-bill-Callahan

fact is garrett was reluctant to give full control to callhan, because he knew Callahan couldn't do it. yet he gave it to linehan because he knew linehan had the ability...

Last edited:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
errr... not according to Jones or Jason or Callahan

http://offtherecordsports.com/2014/...l-relinquish-play-calling-for-real-this-time/

Jones' quote : "Jason was really your coordinator last year,” Jones said. “That’s a fact. That was one of the issues. It was unfair to Bill. But it was the offense that [Garrett] had had since [he] had got there and it was very difficult. That’s why we had such a tough time articulating it early. That’s why we made some of the switches we made during the middle of the season.”

remembrer all the hoopla on garret inserting himself in the play calls in the middle of the season!! I bet not.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4726234/jerry-jones-speaks-for-bill-Callahan

fact is garrett was reluctant to give full control to callhan, because he knew Callahan couldn't do it. yet he gave it to linehan because he knew linehan had the ability...

I think the problem comes in in that fans of Garrett believe a big part of the reason he was freed up from play calling duties was that the owner wanted him to concentrate on other aspects of managing the team overall and on organizing the defense in particular. People who don't like Jason Garrett prefer to see it as a 'demotion' and simply removing the head coach further from the equation. So, again, it comes down to guessing about what we don't know first-hand.

That said, the defense improved a lot more than the offense did this season on a relative basis, so the change wasn't all play calling. Given how many positive things the players, staff, and front office say about Jason's involvement overall, I think you'd have to be willfully naive to think that the guy was relieved of play calling responsibilities and didn't put that time to good use elsewhere this season. Running an NFL team has got to be incredibly demanding work in terms of managing details. It's not exactly a stretch to think that he was probably over-tasked with the play calling included, but that it wasn't until this year that he had somebody on the offensive staff who'd run a game the way he'd want it run and where he was comfortable handing over the load. I have zero problem with the idea that Linehan may just be better at the gig than Jason will ever be. That's what you want: the best guy for the job doing the role he's best at doing.

But this notion that Jason is just a walk around coach in charge of clapping is a juvenile fantasy ginned up by people who just won't recognize that the HC is doing a good job. There's *no* way you earn the professional regard Jason has earned in Dallas all the way around without delivering real value. We've all seen what happens to coaches in this league who don't have the respect of their staff, their players, or their GMs. Without exception, they fail.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think the problem comes in in that fans of Garrett believe a big part of the reason he was freed up from play calling duties was that the owner wanted him to concentrate on other aspects of managing the team overall and on organizing the defense in particular. People who don't like Jason Garrett prefer to see it as a 'demotion' and simply removing the head coach further from the equation. So, again, it comes down to guessing about what we don't know first-hand.

That said, the defense improved a lot more than the offense did this season on a relative basis, so the change wasn't all play calling. Given how many positive things the players, staff, and front office say about Jason's involvement overall, I think you'd have to be willfully naive to think that the guy was relieved of play calling responsibilities and didn't put that time to good use elsewhere this season. Running an NFL team has got to be incredibly demanding work in terms of managing details. It's not exactly a stretch to think that he was probably over-tasked with the play calling included, but that it wasn't until this year that he had somebody on the offensive staff who'd run a game the way he'd want it run and where he was comfortable handing over the load. I have zero problem with the idea that Linehan may just be better at the gig than Jason will ever be. That's what you want: the best guy for the job doing the role he's best at doing.

But this notion that Jason is just a walk around coach in charge of clapping is a juvenile fantasy ginned up by people who just won't recognize that the HC is doing a good job. There's *no* way you earn the professional regard Jason has earned in Dallas all the way around without delivering real value. We've all seen what happens to coaches in this league who don't have the respect of their staff, their players, or their GMs. Without exception, they fail.

this is very reasonable post and response. to your point, the detractors look at it demotion, yet none of them responded to why a list of other coaches in similar position, with similar staff get credit, yet garrett doesn't. what I like about garrett is his leadership. he has set the tone for this franchise with the type of people he wants on the team as players as well as recognizing when he makes a mistake, learns from it and moves forward for the betterment of the team.

I don't fully disagree with garrett not necessarily being a great play caller, although he is much better than half these pundits claim he is not. but he sees opportunities for improvement and he takes the steps to get it done. regardless of what anyone says, under garrett we have built the 4th youngest team in the league, have stayed competitive through out and have a bright outlook towards the future. the most important factor is the jones' and the players believe in him and that's all that matters.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
this is very reasonable post and response. to your point, the detractors look at it demotion, yet none of them responded to why a list of other coaches in similar position, with similar staff get credit, yet garrett doesn't. what I like about garrett is his leadership. he has set the tone for this franchise with the type of people he wants on the team as players as well as recognizing when he makes a mistake, learns from it and moves forward for the betterment of the team.

I don't fully disagree with garrett not necessarily being a great play caller, although he is much better than half these pundits claim he is not. but he sees opportunities for improvement and he takes the steps to get it done. regardless of what anyone says, under garrett we have built the 4th youngest team in the league, have stayed competitive through out and have a bright outlook towards the future. the most important factor is the jones' and the players believe in him and that's all that matters.

90% of anything fans complain about when it comes to play calling is just plays not working. But, yeah, there's no doubt JG made some play calling mistakes. More than he should have, probably. It stands to reason that that would be something you'd get a feeling for over time. It's also something that really doesn't have to be the responsibility of any head coach. If you're not better than everybody else on the planet at calling plays on game day...no sweat. Find one of the guys who is, and hire him. That's not what most of head coaching is about. If it were, it'd be the guys like Linehan or Marinelli or Turner who had the HC jobs and the guys like Garrett and Andy Reid who did not.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Garrett took away the playcalling from Callahan midway of last season. Like it or not Garrett is the HC, Linehan being here is a big help Garrett no longer has to be OC\HC his focus is on this team and this team is focused under Garrett. Garrett called on Linehan someone he was worked along side with and someone he trust