Linehan's role was reduced, offensive input from Garrett, Nussmeier, and even Dak

khiladi

Reaction score
Actually, Garrett should now have full control over the offense so we can see him once again in his ‘full glory’, with Dak, a mediocre passer who has trouble throwing downfield, as QB. It’s clear people forgot how much Garrett as an OC liked throwing the ball without a running attack.

We can also go back to the delayed draw play as our staple running play..

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Garrett was hired before Wade...……….everybody including Wade knew that he was just keeping the seat warm.

Besides, I dont see too much love lost between Wade and Garrett now days. Maybe that is why Wade was fist pumping on the sideline after his defense ended Garrett's season.

Wade looked especially happy, dont tell me there was not something to that. Your defense just ended the season of the guy who replaced you. Yeah, you know that had to bring a big smile to Wade's face.
He'd just advanced to the conference championship game. Maybe he was a little excited about that?

Gaede

Reaction score
I believe his understanding of offensive play calling is very limited. Hence, his difficulty in reading a defense.

There is no indication Dak cannot read a defense. He has very low INTs and a high completion percentage.

He is indecisive, yes, but that can be a quality totally apart from intelligence.

By all accounts, Dak is intelligent and the thought that he is not is a harmful stereotype.

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score
Interesting interview from Jane Slayter yesterday from NFL Network regarding Linehan. Some insights from her: many of the players were interviewed before Linehan's release. Many, especially the receiving corp stated that if they said anything about the lack of O creativity, that Linehan took everything very personally and would "punish" these players by not allowing them to catch a pass. Dez Bryant (although he is no longer here for other factors as well), Brice Butler, Allen Hurns, Beasley. Beasley disappeared for some of the season for being vocal about the O scheme. The front office threw full support behind Linehan and gave him whatever he wanted. It was suggested that the front office overruled Carrot concerning Linehan (although to me, that is pure speculation). Considering how awful our passing game was for 18 months, I believe there is "truth" behind the players' statements and some slanted imput from the front office about it.

For me, I believe the players. A jerk like Linehan can screw up your career and negatively impact you in the eyes of the NFL. I have hated Linehan for a long time. I also believe that this is why the front office allowed Carrot to fire Linehan..because they once again messed up in a huge fashion the way they run things... As the football turns..for the Dallas Cowboys front office. They are dysfunctional and incompetent. and a huge convoluted mess.

Last edited:

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
Ummm so who designed the game plan against the rams? o_O
We got whipped in the trenches. No Game plan can overcome being manhandled like that up front.

Games are won and lost at the LOS. We should be better with Fredbeard back next season and a new, fresh Game plan to work off of. It's clear Dallas needs more RPO and less pocket passing from a guy that's inconsistent at being in the pocket. Dak looks great rolling out and improvising. At times, he's lost when sitting in the pocket waiting for guys to get open.

Let's do more of what Dak does well and less of what he struggles with at times.

Dre11

Reaction score
What's interesting about this is why in the hell would Garrett standing in front of millions of people and say he expects Linehan to return. He had to know/sense his days were numbered. I tell ya, as an Ivy Leauge graduate, he certainly say/do some dumb things sometimes. (lol)

As I said before, since they hadn't talk, he said he EXPECTED it, he never said he was coming back. He knew if he said they have to talk and evaluate, the media would ran with it, the problem was they were clumsy. Stephen screwed talked and started a sh storm anyway.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Although our offense sucked for the most part so I can't rule out more input from Prescott.
...even though Dak led the offense to the tune of 36 points and winning the game against the Giants without Zeke, Tyron or Zack around him. Pretty much proved you wrong. Dak's input actually worked, eh?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Why was Linehan let go, if he was not allowed to fully run the offense in the first place?
Because Linehan's style of offense led to a 3-5 start to the season. Even Amari started complaining with some of Linehan's playcalling once Amari got here.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Beginning with the 13th game (Philly at home), the offense was noticeably different from the previous 12 games.

Games 1-12
yards 32.5 - 18th
TD 20.8% - 20th
red zone TD 51.4% - 26th
(fewest) punts 43.1% - 25th
2.06 points per drive (14th)

56% pass 44% run
yards per rush 4.7 - 7th
net yards per pass 5.9 - 28th
passer rating 95.2 - 18th
3rd/4th down 40.7% - 19th

Games 13-18

yards 37.1 (6th)
TD 27.6% (9th)
red zone TD 62.5% (14th)
(fewest) punts 34.5% (6th)
2.24 points per drive (9th)

61% pass 39% run
yards per rush 3.7 - 25th
net yards per pass 6.7 - 8th
passer rating 97.5 - 10th
3rd/4th down 44.4% - 8th

The NFL rank is at the end of each line. If the rank is in parentheses, that's where the number would have ranked over a full season. (There was no split available, and I didn't want to figure the number for all 32 teams.) No parentheses means the actual NFL rank over that stretch of games.

The first group of stats for each time period is per drive.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Well one thing i don't think will happen now is the Cowboys starting any talks to extend Dak . How can they before they see what happens with a new O/C and the offense. If Dak plays well with the new OC the Cowboys will try during the season but i don'tthink Dak would sign anything during the season and if he has a great year going why would he? After the season if he doesn't like the Cowboys offer he will get the franchise tag and we will have a Kirk Cousins type situation on our hands. On the flip side if he and the offense regresses under a new OC next season what do they do with him? It will be interesting to see how this all plays out now

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There is no indication Dak cannot read a defense. He has very low INTs and a high completion percentage.

He is indecisive, yes, but that can be a quality totally apart from intelligence.

By all accounts, Dak is intelligent and the thought that he is not is a harmful stereotype.
I don't believe Dak lacks intelligence. But even an intelligent person can have difficulty reading a defense. By the same token, I'm sure there are less intelligent people who can read a defense.
People have different areas of understanding.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Anyone calling Dak dumb or unable to understand an offense should be ashamed of themselves. Say what you will about him, he came in his rookie year and was able to grasp the offense quickly enough to quarterback us to a 13-3 season. Despite him coming in as the 3rd QB, he learned quickly. There has been absolutely no indication that he's dumb or unable to understand or grasp an offense. None whatsoever.

You might call him out for play on the field, for overthrowing a WR or missing a throw. Calling him out for that or for not sitting his feet before a throw or anything after the snap is understandable (though I'd still think you're not 100% correct). But trying to make the claim that he's too dumb to understand an offensive gameplan is completely stupid and bordering on insulting.
We found another one. Y'all really need to be less emotional about this guy. It's kinda weird how some of y'all acting towards him. Straight momma bear stuff from grown men out here on a person that don't know you. Stop living vicariously through that man and understand it's just football all this other stuff is madness. Nobody hates him personally and y'all can't even come up with a reason for someone to hate him personally. To some he's just an avg qb don't make it more with your emotional momma bear routine.

Philmonroe

Reaction score

He has low int and completions % because he doesn't take chances like that. Who do you think you're fooling with that junk? Of course someone that doesn't take chances will be safe and water is wet. That don't mean he can read defenses. I'm not saying he can't but your rationale is bogus. Here we go with the harmful stereotype emotional bs. Saying that man isn't football intelligent isn't a harmful stereotype stop it with the emotional junk. I don't know if he is or isn't but if he is saying he is isn't a harmful stereotype unless you want it to be. If people aren't good let them not be good without adding the extra off field stuff.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
The fact that a guy who just was traded here started to complain about the scheme and how things were running. Cooper just came and realized what a dumbo linehan is. I can’t wait to see cooper take the next step in our new offense

HungryLion

Reaction score
I don't believe Dak lacks intelligence. But even an intelligent person can have difficulty reading a defense. By the same token, I'm sure there are less intelligent people who can read a defense.
People have different areas of understanding.

You’re overall premise is right.

I would also argue that most 3rd year QB’s still have issues reading defenses at times. I don’t think Dak struggles in that area more than most QB’s at his stage of development.

This is one area that most QB’s continue to improve on, well past their 3rd year.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
And the next four drives with the Rams after the first scoring drive ended in punts and was heavily pass-oriented. So what exactly improved? The Colts and Tampa Bay games were clusters offensively

so its true, garrett WAS taking over the offense ROFL

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
In support of the OP's take on Linehan's loss of influence on the Dallas offense, Dak was free to "kill, kill, kill" many of the play calls that Linehan made toward the last half of the 2018 season. I'm sure Linehan knew he was walking on very thin ice during his final months with Dallas . . . and he was!!