Linehan's role was reduced, offensive input from Garrett, Nussmeier, and even Dak

khiladi

Reaction score
By the way, this is clear admittance in Dallas that the offense had major problems and they are looking for excuses for Dak’s performances in particular.

Xelda

Reaction score
QUOTE="ShortRound131, post: 8982380, member: 35863"]
Friday saw the Dallas Cowboys fire Scott Linehan and such a move brings out a lot of questions.

Who will replace Linehan? Who ultimately made the decision? Who even wanted the decision to be made? How long was this in the works?[/QUOTE]
YES!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
2 Questions:
Why did it take so long?

Who do I send a thank you note to?

Anybody
I don't care
I DID!
Irrelevant, but good question.

NOW we can go to the Super Bowl!!!!!

Bigdog

Reaction score
I don't believe Dak lacks intelligence. But even an intelligent person can have difficulty reading a defense. By the same token, I'm sure there are less intelligent people who can read a defense.
People have different areas of understanding.
Your right but I think it is more of a process. Dak may have trouble quickly processing what the defense is giving him but that is expected for a young qb. Hopefully with time and experience, it will come natural to him and the process will be come quicker. Even Romo has said that as he gained experience he was able to process what the defense was dictating and everything slowed down.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Your right but I think it is more of a process. Dak may have trouble quickly processing what the defense is giving him but that is expected for a young qb. Hopefully with time and experience, it will come natural to him and the process will be come quicker. Even Romo has said that as he gained experience he was able to process what the defense was dictating and everything slowed down.
Dak's been a starting QB all three years in the NFL, and I believe most of his college and high school career. If he doesn't have enough experience by now, I'm not sure if he'll ever get it down.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Dak's been a starting QB all three years in the NFL, and I believe most of his college and high school career. If he doesn't have enough experience by now, I'm not sure if he'll ever get it down.
Correct but NFL defenses are a lot more complicated than a high school or college defense. I don’t believe Dak is dumb but comes across as very intelligent young man. Processing speed it what he needs to work on which includes reading a defense and getting the ball out quickly. Brady is the best at these two traits.

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score
Nonsense.

Kyle Orton threw close to forty times when Romo went down. Jason didn’t run the ball because he was clueless. Romo wasn’t in game planning meetings until he got the new contract.

Jerry himself admitted it when he fully demoted Jason from playcalling and when Garrett was out of Romo’s cross-hairs. Dallas was bottom four in pass attempts and ran more than any team in the league.

Jason says that now as PR. Like always he takes credit for other people’s work.
What I said was true. If you disagree, you disagree. Since Murray came on board and the OL was rebuilt, it was a staple statement from Garrett constantly.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Friday saw the Dallas Cowboys fire Scott Linehan and such a move brings out a lot of questions.

Who will replace Linehan? Who ultimately made the decision? Who even wanted the decision to be made? How long was this in the works?

Time will likely give us some answers, but we have a bit of an interesting one in the immediate aftermath of it all. There were some murmurings that Scott Linehan’s fingerprints weren’t all over the Week 17 game in New York as they had been in other contests, our own Tom Ryle elaborated on this following the game, and it looks like that was the case. What’s more is that Dak Prescott’s fingerprints were on it.

From what I've been told, Scott Linehan had seen his role in the offensive gameplan significantly reduced over the final weeks of the season, despite still calling plays.

This included greater input from Jason Garrett, Doug Nussmeier, and even Dak Prescott.

Jason Garrett has obviously called plays and designed offenses throughout his career so it’s not shocking to see that he would be involved. Doug Nussmeier was Amari Cooper’s offensive coordinator at Alabama so he’s been around the block as well. Involving Sanjay Lal feels like corralling all the intellect possible, a brain trust is never a bad thing.

It says quite a lot that the Cowboys would involve their third-year quarterback in offensive game-planning. The game in New York served as the perfect field test for whatever the Cowboys have have been thinking they were capable of offensively and we saw them execute it to the tune of Dak Prescott’s career day. Perhaps that is the type of offense, and specifically the type of offensive input, that we can expect from this staff in the future.

I was obvious that something changed with regards to the play calling / gameplan around the time the winning streak started.

The changes did NOT look like the Garrett type offensive plays.

I knew somebody else had to be involved.

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score
Jason Garrett and Moore are the same O, except now Linehan is out of the picture. Expect the same O.
Since Jason Garrett is still the HC of the Dallas Cowboys... I said that if JG remains the HC, that I would reluctantly have to walk. I have been a lifelong Dallas Cowboy fan since being a small child with Tom Landry, but I cannot stand to even look at Jason Garrett. I now can't even tolerate Jerry and Stephen because of the dysfunctional way they run this franchise.
Love all of the players and many tied to this organization.
I am now out. Goodbye, all. Wish you the best as fans and players and all that are doing great things. This fan walks.
Thanks for everything.

ItzKelz

Reaction score

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Who will replace Linehan? Who ultimately made the decision? Who even wanted the decision to be made? How long was this in the works?

Time will likely give us some answers, but we have a bit of an interesting one in the immediate aftermath of it all. There were some murmurings that Scott Linehan’s fingerprints weren’t all over the Week 17 game in New York as they had been in other contests, our own Tom Ryle elaborated on this following the game, and it looks like that was the case. What’s more is that Dak Prescott’s fingerprints were on it.

From what I've been told, Scott Linehan had seen his role in the offensive gameplan significantly reduced over the final weeks of the season, despite still calling plays.

This included greater input from Jason Garrett, Doug Nussmeier, and even Dak Prescott.

Jason Garrett has obviously called plays and designed offenses throughout his career so it’s not shocking to see that he would be involved. Doug Nussmeier was Amari Cooper’s offensive coordinator at Alabama so he’s been around the block as well. Involving Sanjay Lal feels like corralling all the intellect possible, a brain trust is never a bad thing.

It says quite a lot that the Cowboys would involve their third-year quarterback in offensive game-planning. The game in New York served as the perfect field test for whatever the Cowboys have have been thinking they were capable of offensively and we saw them execute it to the tune of Dak Prescott’s career day. Perhaps that is the type of offense, and specifically the type of offensive input, that we can expect from this staff in the future.

This is old news. We knew this during the last game of the regular season or at least the rumor was out there. The offense looked more like JG. My question is why not just have JG call plays in the playoffs if it was identified that Linehan was a problem. No need to cry over spilled milk I guess and ultimately we loss in the playoffs because of our defense.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Sounds like we can expect this team to make a transition like the Rams did when hiring McVay!

lqmac1

Reaction score

Didn’t we win most of those games?

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Has it been established that Linehan was even calling plays after being banished to the pressbox in 2018?