Linehan's role was reduced, offensive input from Garrett, Nussmeier, and even Dak

Gaede

Reaction score
He has low int and completions % because he doesn't take chances like that. Who do you think you're fooling with that junk? Of course someone that doesn't take chances will be safe and water is wet. That don't mean he can read defenses. I'm not saying he can't but your rationale is bogus. Here we go with the harmful stereotype emotional bs. Saying that man isn't football intelligent isn't a harmful stereotype stop it with the emotional junk. I don't know if he is or isn't but if he is saying he is isn't a harmful stereotype unless you want it to be. If people aren't good let them not be good without adding the extra off field stuff.

Come on man. Dak has demonstrated football intelligence on a regular basis.

glimmerman

Reaction score
So he had been snipped. Who was calling plays in the rams game? Our Defense looked like Linehan was calling there plays.

black label

Reaction score
So the brain trust says let's get more ideas from the quarterback that hasn't been able to get in the endzone all year. Fantastic

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett was hired before Wade...……….everybody including Wade knew that he was just keeping the seat warm.

Besides, I dont see too much love lost between Wade and Garrett now days. Maybe that is why Wade was fist pumping on the sideline after his defense ended Garrett's season.

Wade looked especially happy, dont tell me there was not something to that. Your defense just ended the season of the guy who replaced you. Yeah, you know that had to bring a big smile to Wade's face.

I didn’t notice that, but I’m sure it would.

Brax

Reaction score

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Friday saw the Dallas Cowboys fire Scott Linehan and such a move brings out a lot of questions.

Who will replace Linehan? Who ultimately made the decision? Who even wanted the decision to be made? How long was this in the works?

Time will likely give us some answers, but we have a bit of an interesting one in the immediate aftermath of it all. There were some murmurings that Scott Linehan’s fingerprints weren’t all over the Week 17 game in New York as they had been in other contests, our own Tom Ryle elaborated on this following the game, and it looks like that was the case. What’s more is that Dak Prescott’s fingerprints were on it.

From what I've been told, Scott Linehan had seen his role in the offensive gameplan significantly reduced over the final weeks of the season, despite still calling plays.

This included greater input from Jason Garrett, Doug Nussmeier, and even Dak Prescott.

Jason Garrett has obviously called plays and designed offenses throughout his career so it’s not shocking to see that he would be involved. Doug Nussmeier was Amari Cooper’s offensive coordinator at Alabama so he’s been around the block as well. Involving Sanjay Lal feels like corralling all the intellect possible, a brain trust is never a bad thing.

It says quite a lot that the Cowboys would involve their third-year quarterback in offensive game-planning. The game in New York served as the perfect field test for whatever the Cowboys have have been thinking they were capable of offensively and we saw them execute it to the tune of Dak Prescott’s career day. Perhaps that is the type of offense, and specifically the type of offensive input, that we can expect from this staff in the future.

All the spin Dr's are at it

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
SO, they got a new Brain trust just in time for a meaningless game against the Giants....but not at TB, INdy, Sea or LA.

4 straight drives of crap and WR screens. WHo hangs for that.

I know the answer, just noting how none of this is based in reality

HungryLion

Reaction score
That's actually not true it's just you and others are actually emotional with your disagreements. It's people I've disagreed with on here and it was just that. You're just an emotional person when it comes to Dak and the reason I call you such. The evidence is in the post but online people get more emotional than they would online. Guess trying to be something they aren't offline. Any more questions?

Lol ok sure. Anybody disagreeing with you is just being overly emotional, not rational.

Got it.

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score
Well one thing i don't think will happen now is the Cowboys starting any talks to extend Dak . How can they before they see what happens with a new O/C and the offense. If Dak plays well with the new OC the Cowboys will try during the season but i don'tthink Dak would sign anything during the season and if he has a great year going why would he? After the season if he doesn't like the Cowboys offer he will get the franchise tag and we will have a Kirk Cousins type situation on our hands. On the flip side if he and the offense regresses under a new OC next season what do they do with him? It will be interesting to see how this all plays out now
Jerry has already stated publicly more than once that Dak will get extended

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score
In support of the OP's take on Linehan's loss of influence on the Dallas offense, Dak was free to "kill, kill, kill" many of the play calls that Linehan made toward the last half of the 2018 season. I'm sure Linehan knew he was walking on very thin ice during his final months with Dallas . . . and he was!!
they put him up in the booth all year and did not let him come down on the field

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score
Actually, Garrett should now have full control over the offense so we can see him once again in his ‘full glory’, with Dak, a mediocre passer who has trouble throwing downfield, as QB. It’s clear people forgot how much Garrett as an OC liked throwing the ball without a running attack.

We can also go back to the delayed draw play as our staple running play..
If Garrett has full control of the O, then none of us should expect anything different
And Romo audibled a lot at the line of scrimmage when he did not care for the call sent in from the sideline. Romo liked to pass the ball, not run it.
Garrett constantly states that he likes to pound the ball with Zeke. Run first always

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I think what it comes down to is Garrett, Dak, Nuss shouldn't be the OC's PERIOD. That's Linehan's job.

Well if the OC sucks so badly with playcalling I don't see why the others can chime in and make the proper changes.

Its obvious that he just ain't cut out to be OC. I'd take a high school coach over him any day of the week.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Linehan dumbed down the offense for Dak as soon as he got here. This offense wasn’t in any way the same and they actually installed more run-pass options this year, before the season. Linehan in the off-season himself said we won’t expect Dak to make big throws all the time, that isn’t going to be expected, but he is going to have to make them every now and then. Much of the offenses action with Dak was short crossing routes over the middle.
The FO said they didn’t need a number 1 WR and so did the QB and they had to rush out mid-season to get Cooper, because they looked like idiots.

Dak couldn’t find the end-zone in TRAINING CAMP until one week again and was inaccurate.

Linehan May be average, but he’s just another scapegoat.

Linehan hardly used RPO. When we used it it was effective.

Linehan was so bent on making Dak a pocket passer. He would run curl routes all day long. Scapegoat or not, Linehan was just a terrible OC. He deserved to be canned.

khiladi

Reaction score
If Garrett has full control of the O, then none of us should expect anything different
And Romo audibled a lot at the line of scrimmage when he did not care for the call sent in from the sideline. Romo liked to pass the ball, not run it.
Garrett constantly states that he likes to pound the ball with Zeke. Run first always

Nonsense.

Kyle Orton threw close to forty times when Romo went down. Jason didn’t run the ball because he was clueless. Romo wasn’t in game planning meetings until he got the new contract.

Jerry himself admitted it when he fully demoted Jason from playcalling and when Garrett was out of Romo’s cross-hairs. Dallas was bottom four in pass attempts and ran more than any team in the league.

Jason says that now as PR. Like always he takes credit for other people’s work.

Last edited: