LINK: New Stadium Design Pics

javera

Reaction score
Hi zoners... I have been a lurker for a few years and I really enjoy everyone's comments. Found this link to the new stadium design this morning that I thought everyone would enjoy.

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/graphics/1206/stadium/

Thanks,

Jim

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
javera;1228530 said:
Hi zoners... I have been a lurker for a few years and I really enjoy everyone's comments. Found this link to the new stadium design this morning that I thought everyone would enjoy.

Thanks,

Jim
Took you long enough to post. :welcome:

And thanks for the link. The pics are great.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Wow... very nice...

Thanks for the link... and welcome...

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Very cool

I don't know about the field level suites though. with all the photogs and other people on the field your view would be blocked.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I like it and look forward to attending games there. I admit part of me will miss Texas Stadium

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys unveil stadium plans

Jones keeps an old tradition, expands into grander dimensions

07:28 AM CST on Tuesday, December 12, 2006
By JEFF MOSIER / The Dallas Morning News

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/12-06/1212stadium.jpg
HKS
A rendering of what the Cowboys' new stadium will look like at night, with the only projected light coming out of the hole in the retractable roof.

When the Dallas Cowboys move from Texas Stadium, they'll leave behind 35 years of history, but the signature hole in the roof will go with them.

Their new stadium, scheduled to open in 2009, will include two quarter-mile-long steel arches and a retractable roof that mimics the famed feature. As the Cowboys faithful would say, God would still be able to look down on America's Team and watch the games on Sunday afternoon – even in Arlington.

"We want this stadium to have our traditional hole in the roof," Mr. Jones said, noting that it's just as much a symbol of the team as the Cowboys star.

But that hole is one of the few design elements making the trip from Irving to Arlington, as fans will learn tonight when team officials formally unveil the design at a gala in Arlington.

The new $1 billion stadium, the largest and most expensive in the NFL, will be the Cowboys' home, but it will be built with a bigger world in mind.

It will feature more than twice the square footage of Texas Stadium and cost nearly 30 times more. The stadium will also seat 80,000 fans on an average day and accommodate up to 100,000 for special events, such as the Super Bowl.

The new stadium, which has yet to be named, also will feature the world's largest movable glass walls, field-level suites and open-air end zones.

Team owner Jerry Jones and Bryan Trubey of HKS Architects said during an interview Friday that the team's new home was designed as a great building – not just a football stadium – and as a world-class sports and entertainment venue.

The stadium could host a World Cup soccer match or Olympics opening ceremony just as easily as an NFC East rivalry game.

"We made sure there really isn't any event it can't handle," Mr. Trubey said.

This new, grand stadium is something Mr. Jones said he has wanted ever since he bought the Cowboys in 1989 for $150 million. Although he said that at the time, he couldn't have imagined the advances in technology, such as the 60-yard-long video screen in the new stadium, or that the price tag for a stadium would soar this high.

Long time in the making
The work on the stadium also started much earlier than most outside of the Cowboys organization realized. Mr. Jones said Friday that he has been working with Mr. Trubey for nearly eight years on plans for a new stadium – even though Arlington voters approved the public financing only two years ago. The city's share of the cost is capped at $325 million – an amount that was originally expected to be half the stadium's cost.

Mr. Jones and his family closely studied the new NFL stadiums – more than 15 have opened in the last decade – but they didn't feel hamstrung by just football or even just U.S. sports venues.

The Jones family visited London's Wembley Stadium three times and studied Bloomberg Tower in New York City, the airport in Nice, France, and the Sydney Opera House in Australia.

"We didn't want it to just be a fine stadium," said Charlotte Jones Anderson, Mr. Jones's daughter and an executive with the team. "We wanted it to be a great piece of architecture that would reflect character and reflect the strength of sport, but at the same time, the living, the moving, the changing environment that happens when you put sports and entertainment in a venue."

Mr. Jones said he was looking to build a stadium that would inspire awe, illustrating his point with a story about his first visit to New York City.

The first order of business was a taxi ride to the Bronx.

"I had the cab take me out, and I put my hand on Yankee Stadium. That's all I want – just to touch it," he said.

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/12-06/1212stadium.jpg
HKS
An artist's rendering shows a view of the stadium from the northeast.

And that's what led the Joneses to agree on a modern design for the stadium.

Just down the street is the Texas Rangers' traditional, red brick Ameriquest Field, which was also designed by HKS and architect David M. Schwarz. The nearby Wal-Mart Supercenter took its architectural cues from the Rangers; the Cowboys did not.

The new stadium will be glass on the exterior with a glazing that will give the perception that the glass changes color, including shades of silver and blue from the Cowboys' helmet, from the top to the bottom. It was described as luminescent, elegant and strong: a limestone base "rising out of the earth" with great horizontal expanses of glass on top.

Comparison shopping
Jerry Jones Jr., team vice president and son of the owner, said the team benefited from the building boom in the NFL and seeing what other teams have done.

"As much as we compete on the field, we don't compete off the field," he said. "Everybody is very open-minded about sharing."

Mr. Trubey said he avoided the standard "racetracks," as the circular, bland stadium concourses are often called. Instead, the areas will be dotted with team gift shops and clubs.

The team also included field-level suites, which were first introduced by the Seattle Seahawks as the "red zone suites."

Stephen Jones, another son and team vice president, said many NFL executives regretted not building big enough. The new stadium's end zones will take care of that. Each will feature the glass doors, which are expected to stay open during most games.

That creates 210,000-square-foot plazas that can accommodate standing-room-only fans or could be used for temporary seating. Each end zone also has a three-level party deck inspired by Raymond James Stadium in Tampa Bay, Fla.

"There's really no end to the party," Mr. Trubey said about the plazas, which extend beyond the stadium walls.

While the Cowboys aren't playing, Mr. Jones said he wants to see his new stadium attract top-level bowl games and other college match-ups. There has been talk about whether the New Year's Day Cotton Bowl game or the Texas-Oklahoma game during the State Fair of Texas would eventually move to Arlington, but no public commitments have been made.

He said the magnitude of the stadium will give teams big enough paydays that it's worth giving up a home game.

"When a kid is in Louisiana or playing at a school in Minnesota, we want them to be hollering, 'We've got to go play in that stadium,' " Mr. Jones said.

Even in the off-season, the stadium is expected to be a draw. The team plans a football Hall of Fame that will be open 350 days a year and feature a pair of Norman Rockwell works as well as an extensive collection of football memorabilia.

The stadium – which also will offer tours year-round – could even become a destination for schoolchildren on field trips, said Gene Jones, Mr. Jones's wife.

Mr. Jones said this effort in Arlington goes beyond building a new stadium. It's intended to be a monument to one of the world's great sports franchises and had to be done right.

"This is a part of the franchise, the legacy of the Dallas Cowboys," he said. "We don't think we own the Dallas Cowboys. The fans do."

E-mail jmosier@***BANNED-URL***

LINK

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Continuing the showplace spirit

Cowboys' new home aims to remind fans that party is a part of the game

04:01 AM CST on Tuesday, December 12, 2006
By JEFF MOSIER / The Dallas Morning News

While planning his new stadium, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones remembered something that the team's original general manager, Tex Schramm, told him 17 years ago.

"He said this game can't become a studio game," Mr. Jones said. "It has to have the pageantry of the big crowds to compete."

Millions will watch the Cowboys play in their new 80,000-seat stadium in Arlington starting in 2009, but Mr. Jones said he wanted to make sure that fans in the stands get the full show.

The luckiest – and probably some of the richest – will be the ones with access to the club for field-level suiteholders. The Cowboys players will enter the field through the club as its guests are lined on either side, close enough for the guests to high-five the starters. That and the other field-level suites are just some of the innovations in the $1 billion stadium, which is now under construction and promises to be the biggest and most expensive in the NFL. Cowboys officials said they haven't decided on ticket pricing yet.

The lucky Cowboys fans who can afford the field-level suites will get another unique perspective on the game. A large video screen will give them an exclusive camera angle similar to what the coach sees.

And when they want yet another view, the fans in the suites can walk upstairs to their seats immediately above them.

"We have been conscious from the beginning to build a stadium that makes coming to it an exciting time, a real experience," Mr. Jones said.

For those in a more modest tax bracket, Cowboys officials said they'll have three-level party decks, rising 60 feet in the air, at each end zone, and plazas there will spill outside of the stadium walls. The current Texas Stadium video screens will be placed in the end zone plazas to ensure that no one misses a play.

During an interview Friday with team officials and the architect, the word "party" repeatedly was invoked to describe the atmosphere, an acknowledgment that football is both sport and entertainment.

Most of the end zone capacity will be standing-room only, although there could be room for some chairs and tables. The team estimates about 10,000 people could fit in each of the 210,000-square-foot end zone plazas, boosting the stadium capacity to 100,000.

The architect and the team didn't forget about the people in the grandstands, which will run along the two sidelines. Instead of designing one giant lower deck, there will be three lower decks that overlap. That creates three different front rows, takes up less space and minimizes the distance between the fans and the field.

And that also benefits those in the upper deck. Cowboys officials said their new upper deck will be closer to field level than any other in the NFL.

Stephen Jones, a team vice president and the owner's son, said that all ticket buyers were considered when designing the stadium.

"Whether you are a premium seating fan or a general admission fan," he said, "your experience will be enhanced from what you have been seeing at Texas Stadium."

E-mail jmosier@***BANNED-URL***

LINK

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
javera;1228530 said:

Thanks,

Jim

Thank you for the link...

Wow.

cant wait to go there. 360 is almost done!!!!

those glass doors and the screen outside will be incredible.

15 minutes from my house!!!! cant wait!!

joseephuss

Reaction score
Is it air conditioned? It says there will be vents to provide air circulation that can keep it 20 degrees cooler inside than outside. That isn't that great when it is 100 degrees outside. Of course that is better than the current stadium where it seems to be 20 degrees warmer inside than outside.

1fisher

Reaction score
I like it a lot! Can't wait to see a live game there! The roof is awesome!

Good job Jerry!:starspin :starspin :starspin :starspin :starspin

dannyboy

Reaction score
love the staduim, but those video screens might come into play on a high punt

thoughts?

Duane

Reaction score
I'm kind of surprised that we're going artificial turf instead of real grass. Other than that all I can say is WOW!

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
mickgreen58;1228616 said:
Me thinks it would have looked better if it were in Downtown Dallas :eek:: .

- Mike G.

I live in Tarrant county. I totally agree. I dont understand why the ballpark isnt down right next to american airlines.

If they had built all three facilities right in Dallas in the west end where american airlines is it would have been great. Could have gone the bars and been immersed with all the big and little buildings.

Oh well, for me it is still good, 15 minutes away!!

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
theebs;1228631 said:
I live in Tarrant county. I totally agree. I dont understand why the ballpark isnt down right next to american airlines.

If they had built all three facilities right in Dallas in the west end where american airlines is it would have been great. Could have gone the bars and been immersed with all the big and little buildings.

I agree.

I went to highschool and college in Arlington and it is a nice city, but I just think it wouuld have been better in Dallas.

I work right across the street from the AAC and it would have been lovely to have the new stadium over there, even though the original idea was to have it near Fair Park in South Dallas. They are doing so many things downtown, especially in the West End.

It is really a good thing that they are revamping that 360/I-30 interchange, I believe I heard it will have like 6 lanes, because at it's current state, it would be an absolute nightmare for people going from 360->I-30 and the folks coming from Dallas.

- Mike G.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
theebs;1228631 said:

laura.jpg

Dallas Mayor Laura Miller

SupermanXx

Benched
Reaction score
I can see the downtown Dallas skyline from my house and I'm around there a lot and yeah I agree, the stadium would be awesome next to the AAC

that being said, my jaw literally dropped when I saw the pics for the new stadium... AWESOME