Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
question-do-you-speak-english-in-a-chalkboard-picture-id585185560

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of new distros pop up, but for the most part I use these six. I no longer have time to try all the different distros. Distro of the week.
  • Redhat
  • CentOS
  • Fedora
  • Debian
  • Ubuntu
  • Raspbian

Last edited:

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score

CentOS server
Debian server
Mint ( distro) XFC desktop( light) good if you never used Linux before.

you even can make your own distro as Linux is just a kernel.
--------------------

BSD is a unix-like too but more of( kernel + operating system)

FreeBSD
TrueOS

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Those are two distros I've never tried, but I'm nerdy enough to put a distro in a VirtualBox to give it a test drive.
If you're running Linux. Use KVM instead of Virtual Box. :D

Actually, for desktops. Virtual Box is good. KVM for the server.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
If you're running Linux. Use KVM instead of Virtual Box. :D

Actually, for desktops. Virtual Box is good. KVM for the server.

I do KVM to an old Windows PC so that I can use Quicken. If I ever get busy and learn the Linux based Quicken alternatives, I'll be able to jettison Windows completely. I do use VirtualBox on my laptop though.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I do KVM to an old Windows PC so that I can use Quicken. If I ever get busy and learn the Linux based Quicken alternatives, I'll be able to jettison Windows completely. I do use VirtualBox on my laptop though.

I think windows after10 planing to have the OS online or as they call it cloud.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I think windows after10 planing to have the OS online or as they call it cloud.

I suspect Chromebooks laid the groundwork for where it's all going. You will still need a base OS, but all the content doesn't have to exist locally. That said, you will still need to support some type of offline mode.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I suspect Chromebooks laid the groundwork for where it's all going. You will still need a base OS, but all the content doesn't have to exist locally. That said, you will still need to support some type of offline mode.

I remember in the late 90's Larry Ellison saying the future of OS will be online.
For sure the offline mode will be there for a while ,but short years from now the industry will shift completely online. (as you said more like an app based which will work in any device)
It is easier to control data,keep money coming, and the click happy crowd will cheer for it.