Lions Hoping for a 1st Round Pick For Williams, But Don't Expect to Get One

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Kowalski on WDFN: Roy Williams will remain a Lion

by Josh Hakala | MLive.com Monday September 29, 2008, 6:13 PM

Roy Williams is a frustrated star on a bad team, and with his contract expiring at the end of the season and not much immediate hope on the horizon, the trade watch is on. Will the Lions trade their best player before the Oct. 14 deadline? Lions insider Tom Kowalski tells WDFN's Stoney and Wojo that he doesn't think so.

"I think that the Lions aren't interested in trading him, but if someone calls with something really good, I don't think there's any question that they will listen."

He went on to say that Rod Marinelli doesn't want to trade the receiver, because he needs all the help he can get to save his job, but the front office has a different outlook.

"If we can get a first round pick [for Williams]....you've got to take it, because obviously they need to start refreshing this roster. In the long run, I think Roy Williams is going to be a Detroit Lion because I don't think anybody is going to offer that much."

Kowalski reported that as of Monday afternoon, that the Lions have not received any phone calls about acquiring Williams.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Jerry needs to get this done, it is appearant that the offense isnt nearly as potent when teams are able to take TO out of the game, we have to get a legitimate WR for the other side of the field. Get it done Jerry, we can afford to give up a first for Williams and would be dumb not to.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If TO is woofing now about his lack of participation in the offense, bringing in Roy Williams would push him right over the edge.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2299217 said:
If TO is woofing now about his lack of participation in the offense, bringing in Roy Williams would push him right over the edge.
I don't believe he is woofing and I don't think it would push him over the edge either.

davey999

Reaction score
I think Jerry needs to start thinking about "life after TO". This would do it.

Nexx

Reaction score

i would be 100% fine with all the that went to crayton and austin went to roy instead. TO still had 18 balls thrown at him on sunday. TO was complaining about the types of passes that were thrown to him, not quantity. teams would have a much harder time of leaving safety help for TO if he had Roy on the other side.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Cowboy_4_Life;2299231 said:
Can you imagine Roy on one side and T.O. on the other. With Jason in the middle.

:bow:

Seriously you cant tell me that isnt worth a first round pick. This is a no brainer.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe that's a legitimate concern, but it's not enough of a concern to squash any trade. If Roy Williams is added to the roster and Owens' attitude goes south, just play him more and Owens less. Problem solved in my book.

Don Corleone

Reaction score

Who cares? If he wants a ring, he will share. I think TO wants nothing more than a ring right now, despite what ESPN says.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Nexx;2299226 said:
i would be 100% fine with all the that went to crayton and austin went to roy instead. TO still had 18 balls thrown at him on sunday. TO was complaining about the types of passes that were thrown to him, not quantity. teams would have a much harder time of leaving safety help for TO if he had Roy on the other side.
This is the point people missed about T.O.'s Comments.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
stealth;2299237 said:
how old is roy williams?

He is 27. I will be pretty surprised if we dont get in the mix to get Roy. Time for Jerry to put up, hes been talking the whole time about getting someone opposite of TO, here is your chance to get a true stud.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What about a 2nd round pick if we throw in bobby carpenter and dexter coakley?

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
at 26 or 27 he is probably worth a number 1 pick. Isn't he a tad injury prone though?

JohnnyMac

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2299222 said:
I don't believe he is woofing and I don't think it would push him over the edge either.

of course you don't because you wouldn't know a football if one hit you in the gums

TO cornered Romo in a room and ridiculed him, are you not paying attention?

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
here go our last 6 first round picks

Felix Jones
Mike Jenkins
Anthony Spencer
Bobby Carpenter
Marcus Spears
Demarcus Ware

only ONE.....that is right ONE....is a full time starter....so why not give up a first for Roy Williams

The Cowboys essentially have put themselves in a situation where they have to ride the merry go round of free agent WRs because they have REFUSED to spend a premium draft choice on a WR and develop that person to replace TO. So essentially they HAVE to keep bringing in the Joey Galloways' TErry Glenns, Keyshawn Johnsons, and Terrel Owens....because we have not CHOSEN to groom our own. Roy Williams is the next logical guy to be the #1 WR in Dallas. He is big, fast....and will allow our other weapons to make plays. Plus, you have to believe he will not have the ego of TO

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt;2299246 said:
What about a 2nd round pick if we throw in bobby carpenter and dexter coakley?
I see what you did there.