Lions Hoping for a 1st Round Pick For Williams, But Don't Expect to Get One

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
JohnnyMac;2299252 said:
of course you don't because you wouldn't know a football if one hit you in the gums

TO cornered Romo in a room and ridiculed him, are you not paying attention?
I have forgotten more about football than you will ever know in your life, and I have not forgotten much.

Do the words blown out of proportion mean anything to you? They should, they epitomize your entire pathetic schtick.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
bbailey423;2299258 said:
here go our last 6 first round picks

Felix Jones
Mike Jenkins
Anthony Spencer
Bobby Carpenter
Marcus Spears
Demarcus Ware

only ONE.....that is right ONE....is a full time starter....so why not give up a first for Roy Williams

The Cowboys essentially have put themselves in a situation where they have to ride the merry go round of free agent WRs because they have REFUSED to spend a premium draft choice on a WR and develop that person to replace TO. So essentially they HAVE to keep bringing in the Joey Galloways' TErry Glenns, Keyshawn Johnsons, and Terrel Owens....because we have not CHOSEN to groom our own. Roy Williams is the next logical guy to be the #1 WR in Dallas. He is big, fast....and will allow our other weapons to make plays. Plus, you have to believe he will not have the ego of TO

Most teams these days believe that a 1st round pick spent on a WR is a waste. We haven't spent a high first rounder on WR in many years (since Irvin??). Some of those picks you listed were early to mid first rounders. A WR has to be special to be picked that early, but this is still no guarantee of success.

The Lions picked WR with early 1st rounders consistently. How has that worked out for them? Now they could be trading one away.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Cowboy_4_Life;2299273 said:
It would make me SICK if the eagles got Roy. From rumors the eargles are interested as well.
He doesn't want to go there.

No one is going to trade for him unless he agrees to a multi-year deal.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2299275 said:
Most teams these days believe that a 1st round pick spent on a WR is a waste. We haven't spent a high first rounder on WR in many years (since Irvin??). Some of those picks you listed were early to mid first rounders. A WR has to be special to be picked that early, but this is still no guarantee of success.

The Lions picked WR with early 1st rounders consistently. How has that worked out for them? Now they could be trading one away.
you are missing my point....we have "so much talent on our team"...that a first round pick cannot crack the starting lineup...so we might as well trade our 1st round pick for a proven commodity.

And my other point is this....Dallas has not, will not, whatever you want to call it...spent a premium pick to draft a WR...so that means we have started down a path to bring in other former proven premium WRs...and we have to CONTINUE down this path until we draft and develop our own.

So when you consider these two points..it makes it a very logical in my opinion to make a move.

Cowboy_4_Life

Reaction score
Hostile;2299278 said:
He doesn't want to go there.

No one is going to trade for him unless he agrees to a multi-year deal.

Doesn't matter what he wants it. It matters what the coach and GM want. If the eagles offer a first round pick, don't know if they have one, and spent some money on him he will most likely go there.

Brett Favre didn't want the Jets but look what happened.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Cowboy_4_Life;2299283 said:
Doesn't matter what he wants it. It matters what the coach and GM want. If the eagles offer a first round pick, don't know if they have one, and spent some money on him he will most likely go there.

Brett Favre didn't want the Jets but look what happened.
:laugh2:

Yeah okay. Any team that trades for him has a contract that expires at the end of 2008.

Tell me again how they would trade for him without a new deal. That was a good one.

Brett Favre's contract was not expiring at the end of 2008. Is the fog clearing?

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Nexx;2299226 said:
i would be 100% fine with all the that went to crayton and austin went to roy instead. TO still had 18 balls thrown at him on sunday. TO was complaining about the types of passes that were thrown to him, not quantity. teams would have a much harder time of leaving safety help for TO if he had Roy on the other side.

Exactly!

Although I must say Roy does not solve our other problems.... maybe even starts to mask them again.... we cruise and then have a bad offensive day in playoffs and we are out.

With that said... I still want him

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Cowboy_4_Life;2299273 said:
It would make me SICK if the eagles got Roy. From rumors the eargles are interested as well.

I am sorry... but if I am Roy Williams I dont even think about going to "part time great QB" in Donovan McNabb. Donovan will not give you 100%.

superpunk

Reaction score
beating-a-dead-horse.gif

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2299217 said:
If TO is woofing now about his lack of participation in the offense, bringing in Roy Williams would push him right over the edge.

:hammer:

Don Corleone

Reaction score
bbailey423;2299282 said:
you are missing my point....we have "so much talent on our team"...that a first round pick cannot crack the starting lineup...so we might as well trade our 1st round pick for a proven commodity.

Like we did for Joey Galloway? Back in the mid to late 1990's, we thought we had the same "problem"...so much talent that draft picks (regardless of round) cannot crack the lineup. We then spiraled out of control and into the cellar of the NFL, while teams like the Rams and Ravens were winning Lombardi trophies.

IMO, before ever trading away a draft pick, you have to assess the risk vs. reward. Does Roy Williams push us over the top and get us to the Super Bowl? If he is nothing more than a luxury, or insurance, better keep that draft pick!

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2299211 said:
Kowalski on WDFN: Roy Williams will remain a Lion

by Josh Hakala | MLive.com Monday September 29, 2008, 6:13 PM

Roy Williams is a frustrated star on a bad team, and with his contract expiring at the end of the season and not much immediate hope on the horizon, the trade watch is on. Will the Lions trade their best player before the Oct. 14 deadline? Lions insider Tom Kowalski tells WDFN's Stoney and Wojo that he doesn't think so.

"I think that the Lions aren't interested in trading him, but if someone calls with something really good, I don't think there's any question that they will listen."

He went on to say that Rod Marinelli doesn't want to trade the receiver, because he needs all the help he can get to save his job, but the front office has a different outlook.

"If we can get a first round pick [for Williams]....you've got to take it, because obviously they need to start refreshing this roster. In the long run, I think Roy Williams is going to be a Detroit Lion because I don't think anybody is going to offer that much."

Kowalski reported that as of Monday afternoon, that the Lions have not received any phone calls about acquiring Williams.

Jerry give them a 1st round pick right now !!!!!!!!!!!!

silver

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2299246 said:
What about a 2nd round pick if we throw in bobby carpenter and dexter coakley?

hey, let's don't bet the farm. coakley is pro-bowler. and his dad posts here.
i can live without carpenter though.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
bbailey423;2299282 said:
you are missing my point....we have "so much talent on our team"...that a first round pick cannot crack the starting lineup...
We've been told that, but I think Jackson and Royal are proving they'd be worthy of starting over Crayton. And there are probably safeties who could start for us as well (when's the last time we had a safety make as many plays as the hairball the Commanders drafted in the 6th round has made in just a month?). Or that no DE could start over the 2 stiffs we have there right now.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
can you imagine owens getting doubled and roy going off and being the hero.

I cant. This locker room couldnt handle that.

Austin is becoming a guy who will be getting the one on one looks and I believe he is going to get the ball more and more.

On sunday in the first qtr, austin ran straight past rogers and beat him on a deep post route...romo didnt see him and dumped it to bennet. I think when they see that stuff on film, the next week we will see that again...and austin will get the ball more.

I hope that doesnt upset him as it is, let alone williams on the roster.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
theebs;2299317 said:
can you imagine owens getting doubled and roy going off and being the hero.

Austin is becoming a guy who will be getting the one on one looks and I believe he is going to get the ball more and more.

On sunday in the first qtr, austin ran straight past rogers and beat him on a deep post route...romo didnt see him and dumped it to bennet. I think when they see that stuff on film, the next week we will see that again...and austin will get the ball more.

I hope that doesnt upset him as it is, let alone williams on the roster.

y wouldn't the locker room be able to handle that ?

Don Corleone

Reaction score
theebs;2299317 said:

These guys are paid professionals. I'm sure they could handle it. Winning cures all.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2299321 said:
y wouldn't the locker room be able to handle that ?

Cause owens wouldnt be the hero anymore. He would see his production cut in half. Witten would be wide open all day.

Owens could never handle that.