Lions shopping CB Darius Slay

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Slay wants the brinks truck though...15 mil or more according to him.
Good player, actually makes INTs but we can’t afford him if we are paying Dak.

Paying Dak isnt the issue for me. Its the fact that we paid a RB 15 million per year that is the problem.

If they would trade Zeke for Slay then the salaries would wash out and we would have an upgrade over Jones. Actually kills two birds with one stone right there.

Not to mention we have 70 million in space this year and over 100 million in cap space next year.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
I heard you can get Slay for 3 years $50M and prob have to guarantee the 1st 2 seasons. If the lions let him go he’d be a good signing. You can afford to keep Jones and get slay. I’m starting to think the play here is let Jones go and get the comp pick. I have confidence in Lewis so I want him to start with Awuzie.

Also if they wanted to they could sign Jones and Slay (the two best dbs this year in FA). Convert someone to FS or maybe Awuzie. Add in som DL and LB with that secondary and the team will look good. I’m hoping for run the ball, play defense and special teams mixed with some deep shots so you’ve got to expect a WR and TE in this draft and some OL.

irishline

Reaction score
CB's elite money? Why not? I would gladly get rid of Zeke for Slay straight up. Would even give them a 4th or something. Slay would be paid 10 million in 2020 and then yah we would have to pay him big money. But he would be getting paid around the same amount as the Zeke contract. So you are actually doing a swap one for the other. And this allows you to definitely let Jones walk. Now you can focus the draft and FA on DT, and safety, and the rest of the defense.

You trade Zeke this offseason and you eat 9 million in dead money (15 if hes cut). Then you pay Slay 10 million. That trade right there costs you 1/4 of the cap space we currently have before signing Dak and Cooper (if you are in favor of that of course).

Say you sign those two for about a 45 million cap hit this year. Then you have 20ish million left for everything else/the draft. So, how does that allow you to focus on the draft and FA and the rest of the defense? If anything it makes the draft that much more important because you sure can't afford much in free agency.

I get wanting to get out from under Zeke but it ain't happening this year.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You trade Zeke this offseason and you eat 9 million in dead money (15 if hes cut). Then you pay Slay 10 million. That trade right there costs you 1/4 of the cap space we currently have before signing Dak and Cooper (if you are in favor of that of course).

Say you sign those two for about a 45 million cap hit this year. Then you have 20ish million left for everything else/the draft. So, how does that allow you to focus on the draft and FA and the rest of the defense? If anything it makes the draft that much more important because you sure can't afford much in free agency.

Great point on the dead money. Which absolutely makes the trade impossible for us.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

#ZekeHate

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I would much rather move a pick for him and pay him rather than go CB in the first. But we know we are not involved in this. Too much for Stephen to wrap his tiny brain around.

Sydla

Reaction score
CB's elite money? Why not? I would gladly get rid of Zeke for Slay straight up. Would even give them a 4th or something. Slay would be paid 10 million in 2020 and then yah we would have to pay him big money. But he would be getting paid around the same amount as the Zeke contract. So you are actually doing a swap one for the other. And this allows you to definitely let Jones walk. Now you can focus the draft and FA on DT, and safety, and the rest of the defense.

Because I don't believe you need elite CBs to win. Plow your money into your OL, DL, QBs and even WRs before CB.

Sydla

Reaction score
I would much rather move a pick for him and pay him rather than go CB in the first. But we know we are not involved in this. Too much for Stephen to wrap his tiny brain around.

Then just pay Jones.

It doesn't make much sense to me to give up, say a 2nd rounder for him and hand him $15MM a year, when you could get Jones for $15MM and keep your 2nd round pick.

Even if you believe Slay is better, he's not that much better over Jones that a 2nd rounder is a smart move.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Because I don't believe you need elite CBs to win. Plow your money into your OL, DL, QBs and even WRs before CB.
Yeah when you look at rb and cb.....how many of the top backs or top corners in the league have rings? Seems like you can contend without paying much resources in those positions.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Then just pay Jones.

It doesn't make much sense to me to give up, say a 2nd rounder for him and hand him $15MM a year, when you could get Jones for $15MM and keep your 2nd round pick.

Even if you believe Slay is better, he's not that much better over Jones that a 2nd rounder is a smart move.
They have already decided they don't want Jones.

The writing is on the wall. That is the perspective I was coming from.

Trust me, this whole cornerback business just makes me ill.

Flamma

Reaction score
Would you trade for him and what would you give up in return?

He will make 10 million next year and will then need to be resigned.

Yep. Sign him and resign Byron. Sign our good players that are UFAs, dump Dak and draft QB Love or Eason.

cern

Reaction score
Many here said we'd just let la'el collins walk last year. But he was signed and was our best o-lineman last years. Not sure why so many of the cz prescient think we'll just let jones walk. I see no indication of that.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
But here's a big critical question we still face with the Cowboys, are we likely to commit on a longer term contract (3 years?) to a 30 year Robert Quinn ?
(and what’s likely to be his final NFL contract)

You know what's funny is that this question can pretty well correlate with the CB conundrum.

If you get him on a decent deal and if he continues to provide pressure, then absolutely..great pressure on the DLine can mask the lack of skill in the secondary.

Ironically enough, both Slay and Quinn are getting into that last-contract-out-to-the-pasture age. Which is why I would definitely not give up a 2nd for Slay.