Listening to BTB and Locked on Cowboys

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'm no scout, but I agree. It's pretty much consensus from everything that I have read and seen that Mukuamu was the better prospect.

The funny thing is that if the Cowboys had taken Cox at 99, then Mukuamu at 115, and then Wright at 227, most people would feel a lot better about how the Cowboys drafted. It's just that Wright at 99 seems so...odd.

I hope Quinn knows what he is doing.

IF you watch them for about 20 seconds you'll see the Oregon State guy moves around a lot better than the SC guy.

They are talking about moving the SC guy to safety as well and to me he looks like a SS and not a FS.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On my way into work this morning they confirmed our 3rd round CB was absolutely a Quinn pick. The scouts were arguing for Cox, who was higher on the board. We got lucky in that he dropped to round 4.

The dynamic in the draft room is often discussed here so I thought it was interesting to confirm (supposedly) what was is actually happening in the war room. From everything I've heard and read it's a collaborative effort. Although they stick to the board for the most part, they will deviate if a coach feels strongly and puts together a case.

Also had the pleasure of listening to the DB Mukuamu interview and he's a really impressive kid. It wouldn't suprise me to see him stick in this league. My apologies if this has already been covered.

Never apologize for sharing information. It’s always appreciated and I feel this forum it at its’ best when we fans are doing that.

:bow:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This is terrible. No wonder this team makes terrible picks since the Scouting Department and the Coaches are at odds at times during the Draft. They need to do a better job of being on the same page prior to the beginning of the Draft.
It's "not good". LOL.
But it is how we skipped Sharif Floyd and got Fredbeard plus ammo for DLaw.
Scouts rate players then Coaches rate guys based on scheme fit and traits they want.

It's all pretty natural if these guys have only been here a couple months.
Now after a year plus you sure hope to never see it.

End of day if it works, it works, If it fails, bleh.

Just know Quinn would have told McClay to take TJ Watt not Taco and *** his RAS scores.
So I'm sure it breaks good and bad.

But to give an example form another sport if college basketball coaches just get the best athletes with every scholarship then they can very much end up at end of games without a free throw shooter.
Teams do very much need to fill roles.
Team building isn't about average graded players being super high as much as everything being to pull off their job well.

Aven8

Reaction score
I'm no scout, but I agree. It's pretty much consensus from everything that I have read and seen that Mukuamu was the better prospect.

The funny thing is that if the Cowboys had taken Cox at 99, then Mukuamu at 115, and then Wright at 227, most people would feel a lot better about how the Cowboys drafted. It's just that Wright at 99 seems so...odd.

As I said on draft day we took him with the 99th pick which was basically a 4th round pick and a freebie comp pick.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
They explained that.

Last year was a scouts draft and then the Coaches had guys they felt were terrible fits for the defense (Anae) and refused to let them get any snaps.
Part of why offense has had more success is just less turnover there.
What the teams wants in offensive guys hasn't really changed much at all.

But defense was a complete scheme change.
And having been here before (Wade to Rod) we knew it was a 2 year job. --someone should have told Mike Nolan that....
I think that would also explain Reggie Robinson.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I need to see this opinion by committee with Jerry as the tiebreaker scheme work out in the results on the field.

We are ALL over the place with how we handle things year to year.

Last year felt 100% like a scouts draft.

This one felt like they let an assistant coach call the shots.

We all know what past experience tells us.

Exactly. It’s like they learned nothing in the debacle of letting Marinelli pick players. That crap brought us Taco and Trysten Hill over TJ Watt and Juan Thornhill.

Never forget.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It feels like when they picked Akwasi Owusu-Ansah all over again.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yup. 100% a McClay kid.
Coaches obviusly didn't think he had any CB skill so they moved him to safety very quickly and let him die on a vine.
But that doesn't mean he won't end up being awesome in time.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Clearly was a Quinn pick as many didn't view him as a top 100 player. He has the traits, Quinn covets for the position.

Quinn is sticking his neck out quickly. And this team is giving significant input to a guy who has never coached a single game for this franchise.

CWR

Reaction score

Which is petty on the coaches part. These kids can't control where they end up, and if they bring it in practice coaches need to give them an opportunity. Last year was littered with opportunities.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Exactly. It’s like they learned nothing in the debacle of letting Marinelli pick players. That crap brought us Taco and Trysten Hill over TJ Watt and Juan Thornhill.

Never forget.
Hill yes but I am not sure we can blame Rod for the Cowboys hating safeties.
He didn't care much about secondary and wasn't the voice there.
We have ignored safety 3 years in a row under 3 different DCs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As I said on draft day we took him with the 99th pick which was basically a 4th round pick and a freebie comp pick.

That doesn’t mean you can waste it. Or take a 7th round talent in round 3.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hill yes but I am not sure we can blame Rod for the Cowboys hating safeties.
He didn't care much about secondary and wasn't the voice there.
We have ignored safety 3 years in a row under 3 different DCs.

I won’t blame him for safeties overall, but I always will for Taco over Watt and Hill over Thornhill. Those are on him.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On my way into work this morning they confirmed our 3rd round CB was absolutely a Quinn pick. The scouts were arguing for Cox, who was higher on the board. We got lucky in that he dropped to round 4.

The dynamic in the draft room is often discussed here so I thought it was interesting to confirm (supposedly) what was is actually happening in the war room. From everything I've heard and read it's a collaborative effort. Although they stick to the board for the most part, they will deviate if a coach feels strongly and puts together a case.

Also had the pleasure of listening to the DB Mukuamu interview and he's a really impressive kid. It wouldn't suprise me to see him stick in this league. My apologies if this has already been covered.

That pick made no sense.
Even if the kid becomes the next richard sherman...we could have gotten him in the later rounds. Or even trade down and still got him.

Now later they might claim that they believed another team was going to get him, and maybe that is true, but I highly doubt it.

blueblood70

Reaction score

are we talking Swade? not sure how far he dropped and why but i was high n this guy last year..thought he was round 2 guy easily..

JBS

Reaction score
Hang w me for just a second

If the Cowboys don't trade down at 10- they don't get J. Cox

Obviously the actual pick that Dallas got in the trade was Wright. However, it's clear Wright would have been picked ahead of cox..not is it clear, they did it..so w no 84 in a trade, Wright gets picked at 115 and cox is gone

Ps2 vs Parsons and Cox is what really happened...

ESisback

Reaction score
Clearly was a Quinn pick as many didn't view him as a top 100 player. He has the traits, Quinn covets for the position.

Lindy’s predraft had a top 100 prospect list. We drafted four—Parsons, Cox, Odighizuwa, and Golston. Mukuamu was projected as a “solid starter”, and Bohanna and Fehoko as “Key Reserves”. In the undrafted area, WR Brennan Eagles was rated as a “solid starter”, as was TE Nick Eubanks, while RB Brenden Knox was given “Key Reserve” status. Overall, not a bad haul, IMHO.

Of course, the Sarcastic Scoffers, Dead Serious Realists, and The Perpetually Miserable Eeyores will likely label me a Cheerleader, but who really cares? We’re all speculators, and I’m just having fun!