Listening to BTB and Locked on Cowboys

fivetwos

Reaction score
Exactly. It’s like they learned nothing in the debacle of letting Marinelli pick players. That crap brought us Taco and Trysten Hill over TJ Watt and Juan Thornhill.

Never forget.
On one hand I do want coaches to have an input on the type of player they want....mostly when it comes to free agency, when we know what guys are and aren't.

Scouting is a different beast and takes into account many things that coaches may not.

And when Quinn doesn't succeed here we will be stuck with a bunch of dudes who no longer fit the next guy.

That's why being all over the map as an organization hurts most.....we need one person to be handling everything and have a consistent philosophy.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very true. We got the same thing when we took Dak.

Let’s hope this one works out close to that well. But I don’t remember people scratching their heads and calling Dak a 7th round pick or UDFA.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On one hand I do want coaches to have an input on the type of player they want....mostly when it comes to free agency, when we know what guys are and aren't.

Scouting is a different beast and takes into account many things that coaches may not.

And when Quinn doesn't succeed here we will be stuck with a bunch of dudes who no longer fit the next guy.

That's why being all over the map as an organization hurts most.....we need one person to be handling everything and have a consistent philosophy.

I agree. I think it’s a systemic issue in this organization. I think the radio interview that detailed it was spot on.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That pick made no sense.
Even if the kid becomes the next richard sherman...we could have gotten him in the later rounds. Or even trade down and still got him.

Now later they might claim that they believed another team was going to get him, and maybe that is true, but I highly doubt it.
Joe Brodsky once stood on a table and screamed for Dallas to draft Emmitt Smith.
Dallas had been targeting a LB but Jimmy gave in and the rest is history.

We were told they targeted 4 guys and 3 of them fell where they drafted him (Cox was one) while one was snatched up.
If you love a guy go get him.
There are 32 teams with different draft boards and we all pretend they somehow are the same.

I really like Wright and think he'll end up a good value over time.
Given the non-existent CB depth on this team that pick has a fair chance of making look bad later on for doubting it.

Had someone taken Dak Prescott R2 would anyone really care now they could have fallen to R4?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What are the odds they had a few drinks and Jerry was like "let the new guy make a pick."

That corner may turn out awesome but they were drafting against themselves.

Brandon Browner was the other linebacker they were looking at.. I haven't watched him.. Any opinions? We got the better player in JAbril Cox, right?

You mean Baron Browning?
Ohio State, I seen all his games. Very good LB, as I really wanted Dallas to draft him or Pete Werner. However getting Parsons, Werner was out, as he was going too high at the time for another LB.

I was disappointed though they did not take Browning when they could, and took Wright instead. However getting Cox a little later was good. I have not seen a lot of him play though. But from what I read and film, he is a better player in coverage, from what I remember from Browning. I think Cox may have a better upside. And that is hard for me to say being a Buckeyes fan. But I try to keep it all realistic.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Joe Brodsky once stood on a table and screamed for Dallas to draft Emmitt Smith.

I really like Wright and think he'll end up a good value over time.
Given the non-existent CB depth on this team that pick has a fair chance of making look bad later on for doubting it.

Had someone taken Dak Prescott R2 would anyone really care now they could have fallen to R4?

Yes.. You want the best value on that day. You don't pay 10 dollars when 3 dollars will do.

He could turn out to be the best corner of all time but he will always be a huge reach on draft day and we got terrible value.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
That pick made no sense.
Even if the kid becomes the next richard sherman...we could have gotten him in the later rounds. Or even trade down and still got him.

Now later they might claim that they believed another team was going to get him, and maybe that is true, but I highly doubt it.
Must curious why you would doubt it. Was Dallas the only team that reached for a player in the 3rd round....I mean at the end of the 3rd round.

Teams have access to stuff us fans don't. Like interviews and medical's for example. Some teams take players off their board and others don't, some teams may have 50 players ranked around the same grade and because you think they took that 50th player first it's wrong?

Dallas had 11 picks and to be honest that's a ton of picks and with a defense badly needing help everywhere why not get guys that 100 percent fit what you want. Throwing enough picks at positions will eventually lead to a really good player.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Yes.. You want the best value on that day. You don't pay 10 dollars when 3 dollars will do.

He could turn out to be the best corner of all time but he will always be a huge reach on draft day and we got terrible value.
Does it really matter where a player is drafted? Once they are on the field I could care less what round they were picked at, I want to see if they can play.

Too many times a guy stayed the starter or got more playing time while the guy sitting on the bench could/ would be better but because of what round they were drafted let's go with that guy.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
What’s funny is the DB we took late from SC seems like a stronger pick than the kid from O St.

I think in general Rds 4-6 were stronger than 3.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Does it really matter where a player is drafted? Once they are on the field I could care less what round they were picked at, I want to see if they can play.

Too many times a guy stayed the starter or got more playing time while the guy sitting on the bench could/ would be better but because of what round they were drafted let's go with that guy.

Yes...

What if we took him in round 1 and he turned out great?

Travis Frederick was a reach. I don't care if he turned out great. They reached for him. Don't draft against yourself.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score

Well it matters if there was better value in that round and you could have grabbed him maybe 2 rounds later. I agree you should only care if they can play but he was taken way ahead of any rating out there. I wasn’t sure the rush

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Yes...

What if we took him in round 1 and he turned out great?

Travis Frederick was a reach. I don't care if he turned out great. They reached for him. Don't draft against yourself.
Nonsense. Frederick wasn't a reach, why cause you said so. Was at the end of the first round to 2nd round is where he was projected and that's where Dallas took him.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Well it matters if there was better value in that round and you could have grabbed him maybe 2 rounds later. I agree you should only care if they can play but he was taken way ahead of any rating out there. I wasn’t sure the rush
How do you know there was better value or where he would have been drafted? Do you have access to all 32 teams big board? Did any other team reach on a player in the 3rd round....... in your expert opinion

Kingofholland

Reaction score
When you fall in love with a player you worry others love that player just as much and become paranoid someone will take him early. Hopefully Quinn is right on that one, because that did look like a big reach.