Listening to BTB and Locked on Cowboys

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Lol. There are about half a dozen different Cowboys podcasts (that update regularly) and I listen to all of them. BTB brings on Tony Casillas and other guests all the time. They also interview current players and rookies. It's actually a pretty entertaining podcast.

If you have any better, please share.

If you think you get good information from them keep listening to them.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Yes.. You want the best value on that day. You don't pay 10 dollars when 3 dollars will do.

He could turn out to be the best corner of all time but he will always be a huge reach on draft day and we got terrible value.
that doesnt make sense. he wasnt a huge reach if his the best corner of all time?

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I think some are missing the point here...at least with the Frederick vs Floyd situation.

This was a total disconnect or miscommunication with the scouts and the coaches that resulted in an argument in the war room.

Frederick turned out to be the better player and they were wise to trade down and get pick for him. However that does not absolve the lack of communication in the war room at the time.
I agree with you that the war room needs to be on the same page.

Verdict

Reaction score
On my way into work this morning they confirmed our 3rd round CB was absolutely a Quinn pick. The scouts were arguing for Cox, who was higher on the board. We got lucky in that he dropped to round 4.

The dynamic in the draft room is often discussed here so I thought it was interesting to confirm (supposedly) what was is actually happening in the war room. From everything I've heard and read it's a collaborative effort. Although they stick to the board for the most part, they will deviate if a coach feels strongly and puts together a case.

Also had the pleasure of listening to the DB Mukuamu interview and he's a really impressive kid. It wouldn't suprise me to see him stick in this league. My apologies if this has already been covered.
See, this makes zero sense to me. If a coach is going to have input into player selection, do it before the draft when the board is getting built. Don’t do it after the board is completed and you are on the clock.

Reactions: CWR

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
We reached for Travis Frederick.. We were drafting against ourselves.

Dallas had their board wiped and the only reason they took him there was for the 5th year option that they valued so much.

Nobody was drafting Frederick until maaaaaybe late 2nd or 3rd.
Frederick was gone if we did not draft him where we did It was exactly the right pick

CWR

Reaction score
If Cox was higher on the draft board, what were the grounds for overriding the board?

As far as I know they let Quinn take his guy. There was no report as to how he built his case or justified it.

This is alarming and refreshing at the same time imo. I want him to stick his neck out if he believes in a player. There were times when we went offense in the past because Marinelli wouldn't stand on the table for his guy. As it turns out when he did he was mostly wrong, but I still want conviction. I want a coach that has a vision and the intestinal fortitude to put himself on the line for that vision.

Wether or not the FO should have agreed is another conversation. They did mention that draft boards and projected ADP is nice but it only takes one team to screw it up. They were eluding to the fact we may have heard someone else was interested and felt like he needed to be selected there or we'd lose him. No way to know how true that is.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
As far as I know they let Quinn take his guy. There was no report as to how he built his case or justified it.

This is alarming and refreshing at the same time imo. I want him to stick his neck out if he believes in a player. There were times when we went offense in the past because Marinelli wouldn't stand on the table for his guy. As it turns out when he did he was mostly wrong, but I still want conviction. I want a coach that has a vision and the intestinal fortitude to put himself on the line for that vision.

Wether or not the FO should have agreed is another conversation. They did mention that draft boards and projected ADP is nice but it only takes one team to screw it up. They were eluding to the fact we may have heard someone else was interested and felt like he needed to be selected there or we'd lose him. No way to know how true that is.

I'm just not happy that draft day overruled their draft board. If Quinn, or anyone, wants to fight for a player, let them work hard to move him up the draft board while they're developing it. I don't think much new information came out relevant to either player during the draft. They picked LB and CB one and two, so that's kind of a wash for position need.

What were they arguing about that they *shouldn't* already have argued out while building their draft board? If they're just not deciding before they show up on draft day, they're doing it wrong.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
They explained that.

Last year was a scouts draft and then the Coaches had guys they felt were terrible fits for the defense (Anae) and refused to let them get any snaps.
Part of why offense has had more success is just less turnover there.
What the teams wants in offensive guys hasn't really changed much at all.

But defense was a complete scheme change.
And having been here before (Wade to Rod) we knew it was a 2 year job. --someone should have told Mike Nolan that....
If you have a multiple defense, then you want a player like Anae. Poor excuse.