Twitter: Live TC Practice Tweets #10 - 07/26/13

RS12

Reaction score
I'd be fine with Newman's career, if that's what you're trying to characterize. I don't care about probowls, though.

People overvalue draft picks. They think every top ten pick is going to be a multiple probowl player. The reality is that's obviously not the case and those expectations are not Realistic. I mean, realistic.

People are going to highly scrutinize Claibornes performance (as well they should). People are over looking the fact that they gave up a second which should have been another quaility starter to get him. That's the way it goes. End of season three we'll know better about the Claiborne move.

dstovall5

Reaction score
Jury is still out on Morris Claiborne, I don't think fans should write him off yet as just another corner who's decent/good, I think he can become a great corner (top 5-10). If he can become a top 10 CB in the league and stay at that level of play for at least 4-5 years then that trade was easily worth it imo.

Even 1st/2nd round picks aren't always a guarantee that a guy is going to perform, so even if he becomes a good (not great) player it still isn't all that bad. Just the way I see it, I'm more of a glass half full guy though. :D

Bizwah

Reaction score
I guess I'll never understand crying over what COULD have been. We have Morris Claibourne. I don't care about who we are not.

honyock

Reaction score
I know this isn't an exciting question, but any news about how Arkin may be performing in camp?

There have been "Arkin had a nice day" comments a after a couple of different practices since pads have come on. I was curious to see who would stay on the field when Livings returned, Kowalski or Arkin, and it was Arkin. Not much to go on so far.

What has happened with Dwayne Harris? A couple of references earlier in the week to him getting chewed out, Williams in his place Wednesday, now Beasley in the slot with the ones with Austin out today. Just about every receiver on the team was mentioned in the practice tweets, even Tim Benford caught a pass, but I don't remember any mentions of Harris as a receiver today.

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
Yeah, waiting for you to actually make a point beyond the clichéd and unsubstantiated "flashes" line.

He had 1 int and 8 PD's his rookie year. I'm sorry, but for watching every single snap he played in I didn't see the hype. We invested a lot in him, so it's fair to expect more than what's coming out of camp. Where are these fantastic ball skills; best since Deion.

I'm not saying he'll be a bust by any means, but it'll be a disappointment to a lot of people if he only goes to a pro-bowl or two and fails to make interceptions.

DFWJC

Reaction score
He had 1 int and 8 PD's his rookie year. I'm sorry, but for watching every single snap he played in I didn't see the hype. We invested a lot in him, so it's fair to expect more than what's coming out of camp. Where are these fantastic ball skills; best since Deion.

I'm not saying he'll be a bust by any means, but it'll be a disappointment to a lot of people if he only goes to a pro-bowl or two and fails to make interceptions.

I can't say I've ever heard anyone compare Mo Clai to Deion.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
Mo won't live up to the billing.
He'll be a solid corner for plenty of years, just doesn't have elite athleticism

Are you judging by these tweets you read while he is facing Dez?

When was the last time you watched him play with your own eyes?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is not about the fans. The Cowboys overvalued the pick enough to give up their 2nd rounder when they obviously needed as many picks as possible. They didn't do that with the expectation of getting another Newman. Troy Vincent is what they are wanting and expecting (5 pro bowls...one or two all pros...40-45 ints).

It sure sounds like you've convinced yourself of some interesting stuff. I guess we'll never know if even a single word of it is true.

Either way, I suspect the organization is pretty happy with Mo so far. You say it's not about the fans, but a small subset of them are the only ones actually panning the value of that pick, so, if is not about them, it's not really about anything.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People are going to highly scrutinize Claibornes performance (as well they should). People are over looking the fact that they gave up a second which should have been another quaility starter to get him. That's the way it goes. End of season three we'll know better about the Claiborne move.

I don't think fans are overlooking what we gave up to get him. His value was That of the sixth pick and that was set at the time we made the trade with StL. He's already playing at a standard that merits that high a pick, but I agree that after this season we'll obviously know more about his development.

coult44

Reaction score
Working all training camp on MO is going to make him become one of the best DB's in the game..How could it not? We all agree Dez could possibly take over the top spot at WR in the NFL this year. MO is pretty much attached to DEZ at the hip during practice. Doesn't matter who wins the battles, or if Dez catches 8-10 balls. What matters is that MO get's stronger, smarter, faster, and learns to cover closely the best of the best. Believe me, it's going to pay off, BIG TIME..Just wait and see.

Zordon

Reaction score
It sure sounds like you've convinced yourself of some interesting stuff. I guess we'll never know if even a single word of it is true.

Either way, I suspect the organization is pretty happy with Mo so far. You say it's not about the fans, but a small subset of them are the only ones actually panning the value of that pick, so, if is not about them, it's not really about anything.

Let's tap the brakes for second b/c I think I'm starting to get pegged as a Mo hater in this thread. Let me be clear. I hated the trade when it went down. I thought this team needed several players in that draft so I did not agree with giving up a 2nd round pick. That being said, the trade plus Jerry's comments about how they rated him increased my expectations for him (moreso b/c of the trade then jerry's stupid comments). Also admittedly at the time I was a pretty big Jenkins fan so I did not see as much of a need for him.

Listening to him in interviews, you can tell he is a sweet humble kid. I'm very impressed with his character so I am rooting like crazy for him to succeed. All I am saying is he needs to have a better career than Newman to justify the trade. I think he can do it but he needs to improve in a couple of areas namely tackling (he got stronger) and instincts. I think Mo is always going to be a CB that will stick with his receivers, he needs to take the next step and go for the ball in those last few milliseconds when the ball is heading towards him/receiver. I think that will come with more confidence.....he played very tentative last year IMO....particularly on slants.

So from what I just said, is anything about that outlandish? I think the only place we disagree is the Newman type of career. Newman had some really stud years but the last half of his career really soiled it for me. The reason I bring up Vincent is because he was a much more consistent player throughout his career and more all-around corner.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
If you check out his tape on youtube you will see that getting his feet down on the sidelines is a strength.

Watching a players highlights is not a way to guage (sp?) them at all. Highlights only show the ... highlights. Not saying Williams isn't good at it, but you can't tell from highlights.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I'd be fine with that, too.

Newman was solid. I want MORE than Solid out of the 6th pick in the draft. I want someone that will make offenses pay for coming over to his "Island".

ccb04

Reaction score
Mo missed valuable time with the wrist injury last year...both on the field and in the weight room. This year his arms, etc...look noticeably bigger. And as coult44 mentioned, his battles with Dez will no doubt only make him better. Dez is a beast for ANY CB to handle one-on-one.

As far as Newman...he was an elite athlete when he came out of K-State. He was the Big 12 Conference 100 meter outdoor champion & 60 meter indoor champ. So simply being an elite athlete doesn't spell success throughout a career. It certainly helps, but Troy Vincent wasn't an elite athlete. Also, though Newman's play declined in Dallas over his last few seasons, he wasn't too bad for the Bengals last year.

Both Newman and Claiborne won the Thorpe award.

This was Mike Mayock's take on Claiborne on NFL.com: "One of the main reasons I think the Dallas Cowboys haven't been to a Super Bowl in some time is because of their secondary. Morris Claiborne is a special corner. He's got the best ball skills of any corner coming out in the last several years. This is a rare athlete."

In terms of being a 'rare athlete'...I don't think that was directed at speed, etc...as his best 40 time was 4.47. Mo has a very good combination of size, arm length, solid leaping ability, very good hip swivel for his length, and did in fact display uncanny ball skills coming out...which I expect to start seeing more of as his confidence continues to grow.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Players with elite athleticism, like dez, show flashes of greatness even when their overall game isn't that great.

I haven't seen or heard of these flashes from Mo.

The kind you'd expect from one of the top CB prospects in the past decade.
I thought Mo's fumble return for a TD was pretty athletic.

And Id say that pick in the endzone against Car was a pretty great flash as well.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's tap the brakes for second b/c I think I'm starting to get pegged as a Mo hater in this thread. Let me be clear. I hated the trade when it went down. I thought this team needed several players in that draft so I did not agree with giving up a 2nd round pick. That being said, the trade plus Jerry's comments about how they rated him increased my expectations for him (moreso b/c of the trade then jerry's stupid comments). Also admittedly at the time I was a pretty big Jenkins fan so I did not see as much of a need for him.

Listening to him in interviews, you can tell he is a sweet humble kid. I'm very impressed with his character so I am rooting like crazy for him to succeed. All I am saying is he needs to have a better career than Newman to justify the trade. I think he can do it but he needs to improve in a couple of areas namely tackling (he got stronger) and instincts. I think Mo is always going to be a CB that will stick with his receivers, he needs to take the next step and go for the ball in those last few milliseconds when the ball is heading towards him/receiver. I think that will come with more confidence.....he played very tentative last year IMO....particularly on slants.

So from what I just said, is anything about that outlandish? I think the only place we disagree is the Newman type of career. Newman had some really stud years but the last half of his career really soiled it for me. The reason I bring up Vincent is because he was a much more consistent player throughout his career and more all-around corner.

No, I don't think that's outlandish at all.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
This is not about the fans. The Cowboys overvalued the pick enough to give up their 2nd rounder when they obviously needed as many picks as possible. They didn't do that with the expectation of getting another Newman. Troy Vincent is what they are wanting and expecting (5 pro bowls...one or two all pros...40-45 ints).

It's really impressive how you've become an elite scout through the reading of tweets.

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
Are you judging by these tweets you read while he is facing Dez?

When was the last time you watched him play with your own eyes?

yeah just judging from what I've been reading and hearing out of camp thus far. I went to a few of the games last year and watched him plenty in college.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Watching a players highlights is not a way to guage (sp?) them at all. Highlights only show the ... highlights. Not saying Williams isn't good at it, but you can't tell from highlights.
When someone does it repeatedly and does stuff that most other WRs cannot physically do, yes you can.