Long year on the horizon for wade...The media is out to get him already.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Yesterday the media went right after wade about last year, even though they had the entire offseason to ask and get answers.

Today Wade is quoted in the ny daily news as the bad guy calling out the giants.

Dunham and miller on the ticket spent the morning talking about wade and how he blew it yesterday.

Now JJT has this article.
http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/072508dnspotaylor.4315a6c.html

I hope wade smartens up and toughens up. This is just the beginning. This nonsense could be the downfall of this team if they are not careful.

The national media is going to run with everything wade has said, true or not. Perception is reality.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I like Wade. I think he is genuinely a nice guy. Unfortunately the media loves to take advantage of nice guys. Like blood in the water after years of dealing with BP who made them feel little and stupid.

Wade ought to get out the archives a play some BP tapes to the reporters that give thim a hard time of BP making them look stupid.

I hope the Cowboys win it all 1st of all and with that comes some lifelong vindication for Wade 2nd of all.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I don't think it matters what he does at this point. They've already decided they don't like him... Didn't like him when he got here, don't like him now.

Really, if winning the most games and the division for the first time in forever won't stop it, what will? Nothing that I can see.

This media crew needs an enema.

miamicowboy21

Reaction score
Look guys we all know what the expectations are for this team. Wade can't do anything until dec-jan that's when he and this team will be judged. The regular season means nothing basically.

I'm just tired of the whole 13 win thing with wade and the better team didn't win that giants game.

As long as Wade continues to be in denial the media is going to murder him. All of our weaknesses last season have been upgraded. No excuses for Wade this season.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
How is he in denial? He clearly said yesterday that the Giants beat us and won it all and proved that they deserved it. I don't know what more he can say.

And he said later in the PC that the players and the coaches and everybody learned from last year's experience of losing.

But that was didn't get any mention from the press, because it doesn't fit with the theme they're looking for.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
I do wish Wade would get some thicker skin. He needs a little Parcells in him.

Eewwwwww.

He needs to act like Parcells did w/ the media. Really tick them off.

No information - 1 year. ~Soup ****

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2157739 said:
I don't think it matters what he does at this point. They've already decided they don't like him... Didn't like him when he got here, don't like him now.

Really, if winning the most games and the division for the first time in forever won't stop it, what will? Nothing that I can see.

This media crew needs an enema.

http://enema.ytmnd.com/

Boysboy

Reaction score
As much as I hate Bill Belichick, I WILL give him credit for one thing...

When he faces the media, and especially when he gets bombarded with the most excruciating tough questions, he takes the same approach every time-his demeanor is quiet, he doesn't say much, and to boot, he'll be very elusive.

Really-I think Wade should take BB's approach when he get bombarded by the DFW media. If anything-the lower profile you keep and te less you say, the better it is overall in the long run.(Which is probably why Spygate didn't get as much publicity in the media through much of last season)

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
There's no such thing as a free ride. Wade inherits one of the most high profile jobs in professional sports with a team loaded with young talent with an owner who will give him anything and everything he wants, so he has to take on the high expectations and scrutiny that comes with it.

Don't like it? Go take a job with the Falcons, Cardinals or Bengals, and try to turn around a 2-14 team with no talent, a hopeless front office and low expectations. That's the type of situation the vast majority of coaches take when they accept a new HC position, and most of them would gladly switch places with Wade.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
theebs;2157705 said:
I hope wade smartens up and toughens up. This is just the beginning. This nonsense could be the downfall of this team if they are not careful.

:rolleyes:

Media criticism will cause this team to unravel? Really? They're that psychologically brittle? If so, why bother with Oxnard or the regular season? Only a bad coach would allow any of this to happen.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
bbgun;2157824 said:

Media criticism will cause this team to unravel? Really? They're that psychologically brittle? If so, why bother with Oxnard or the regular season? Only a bad coach would allow any of this to happen.

No the carryover. The constant nonsense. This will lead to nonsense involving the players at some point.

Thats all. It can easily be stopped, that is up to wade.

Once the games start none of this will be an issue I believe, but enough damage can be done early on that it can linger and have a lasting impact.

Do I think it will? No, not with this team. If the team is .500 at thanksgiving though then I think some of this nonsense can be revisited and be a pain in the neck.

Boysboy

Reaction score
bbgun;2157824 said:

It wasn't merely "media criticism"-what went on with the DFW media yesterday was nonsense and a complete embarrassment to the entire team.

With that being said-I hope Wade can get a better control of himself in the future when facing them-b/c as we all know, the DFW media is nothing but attack dogs. Give Parcells credit-he tamed them to perfection.

miamicowboy21

Reaction score
Boysboy;2157797 said:
As much as I hate Bill Belichick, I WILL give him credit for one thing...

When he faces the media, and especially when he gets bombarded with the most excruciating tough questions, he takes the same approach every time-his demeanor is quiet, he doesn't say much, and to boot, he'll be very elusive.

It's easy to take that approach when you have 3 super bowl rings. Wade needs to embrace the fact that were the dallas cowboys and not the Arizona Cardinals. The pressure is on every minute and everything he does and every word he utters he's going to be scrutinized.

Again, just like those Barry Switzer teams were judged from the playoffs and beyond same for Wade. He can go 16-0 and if he flops in the playoffs again it dosen't matter.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Boysboy;2157831 said:
It wasn't merely "media criticism"-what went on with the DFW media yesterday was nonsense and a complete embarrassment to the entire team.

I must have slept through it. What happened that was so awful or over the line?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Honestly, I couldn't care less about Wade's relationship with the media. Thankfully I don't live in Dallas so I'm not constantly bombarded with it.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2157845 said:
And IR, you sure that if Parcells had coached this team to its first division win in a decade and got this kind of criticism, you'd be defending the media the same way?

It doesn't matter if Parcells won the division, if he lost in the playoffs in the very first game the media would be eating his lunch. Parcells took over a team that was three consecutive years of 5-11 absolutely devoid of talent, completely overhauls not only the roster but the scouting department, leads them to a winning record 3 out of 4 years, takes a team with Quincy Carter and Troy Hambrick as the offensive leaders to the playoffs ... and the Dallas media overwhelmingly labeled him an out of touch failure when he left.

Its just a high pressure job. You are making it sound like they're unfairly singling Wade out because they decided they don't like him. I don't think that's the case at all. There was a huge media lovefest with Wade when he took the job, because he didn't intimidate and neuter them like Parcells did, and he gave them a lot more access to practice and the coaching staff. Plus he was a "Texas guy", which for some reason seemed to be important to them. But eventually the honeymoon period wears off and the pressure that comes with the job is unavoidable. When Garrett gets the job he might get a longer honeymoon period because of his "glory days" ties, but if the team underperforms the hounds are going to be unleashed. Garrett might actually get it worse, because he's been labeled "Boy Genius" and there's going to be a line of Dallas media personalities itching to drive the "What makes this guy such a genius?" bandwagon.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I deleted that post, because this can go on forever, but since you beat me to it...

Wade never had this incredible honeymoon that you speak of. At least, I never saw it. Most people in town (Galloway, Hansen, Reeves) wanted their boy Norv, and were never happy with Wade in the first place.

At best, people thought he was a boring, uninspired, blah pick who might do okay on defense.

I was surprised that the fact that he was from Texas and was a nice guy didn't matter to them, but it surely didn't seem to. Only Hansen has even given him credit for that.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2157822 said:
There's no such thing as a free ride. Wade inherits one of the most high profile jobs in professional sports with a team loaded with young talent with an owner who will give him anything and everything he wants, so he has to take on the high expectations and scrutiny that comes with it.

Don't like it? Go take a job with the Falcons, Cardinals or Bengals, and try to turn around a 2-14 team with no talent, a hopeless front office and low expectations. That's the type of situation the vast majority of coaches take when they accept a new HC position, and most of them would gladly switch places with Wade.

Yep, it's like managing the Yankees in a way.

In the early-to-mid 1960s, Landry had a tough go with the media, and it happened again during the last couple of years of his coaching career. Jimmy was laughed at early on.

Winning Super Bowls shuts 'em up.

Not even winning a playoff game and then talking about the "Elite 8" is like throwing gas on the fire.

Wade has to know this.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2157869 said:
Most people in town (Galloway, Hansen, Reeves) wanted their boy Norv, and were never happy with Wade in the first place.

There's probably a lot of truth in that.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Wade says some stupid stuff and the media goes after him because he allows them to do so. He needs to stop being so nice all the time.

And stop saying stuff like 'the better team lost today' and 'the Giants aren't champs anymore' and 'I was misqouted' etc.

He needs to step up to that stupid mic and act like he's in control, not the other way around.

Then you have to also blame Jerry for the way Wade is portrayed as well.

Giving Jason Garrett $3 mil a year, which is just about what Wade makes, did not help the situation one bit. Everyone, including half the fans, sees Wade as a lame duck coach who has to win it all or he's out on his arse.

Let's just hope the players really love Wade and somehow they can use this as a rallying point and play just a tad bit harder because they want to win it all for their coach.