Long year on the horizon for wade...The media is out to get him already.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I am pulling for Wade....he is a nice person....and he will show those type of people can win a SB

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Chief;2157875 said:
Not even winning a playoff game and then talking about the "Elite 8" is like throwing gas on the fire.

Wade has to know this.

As the Hardline were discussing yesterday, Dallas .. at least when it comes to the Cowboys ... there is almost no turnover in the media. Hansen, Galloway, JJT, Babe, Steve Dennis, Norm, Coop, The Ticket personalities. etc. Whereas most most markets the beatwriters turnover every 2-3 years and sportstalk radio channels go under after 3-5 years, 90% of the faces out there this week covering the Cowboys were out there 10, 15, 20 even 25 or 30 years ago.

So there is an arrogant attitude among the Dallas media of "Coaches are here today, gone tommorrow. We'll still be here long after the this one has come and gone." mindset of self-importance that prevails. I won't deny that. And as such, they expect the coaches to kowtow to them to a certain extent that you don't see with other teams and markets. When they feel they're being patronized or not being told the truth, they take it as a sign of a lack of respect that they believe they're entitled to. They are self important and they do take themselves too seriously. Hanson thought he was Ghandi, MLK and Nelson Mandella all rolled into one the way he was sanctimoniously protesting when Parcells wouldn't let him take footage of the players practicing. I thought he was going to shave his head, go on hunger strike and sing "We Shall Overcome" outside of the Alamodome.

But I think a turning point with Wade and the local media was in December when the team was obviously not playing well, and they were asking Wade about his concern and he just kind of brushed it off with a condescending tone and kept bringing up the overall record. So then the team carries that poor play into the playoffs and get beat, now the media is out for blood after 4 weeks of being talked down to. And instead of falling on his sword, Wade brings up the infamous "Final 8" defense, almost as an act of defiance. When Wade did that he lost the day-to-day beatwriters. Dale and Galloway might have been "Norv guys", but they're just blowhards that even the people in Dallas don't take all that seriously. They hardly even attend the press conferences. Most people know that they've just taken on the personality of the old, curmudgeon blowhard to be entertainers. So I don't know that their opinion holds any weight among local Dallas fans. They're the court jesters. But the beatwriters are another story.

But this is also a quirk of Wade's personality, because he is stubborn, and he is defiant and he does say stupid stuff trying to get an unnecessary jab or quip in. He won't just fall on his sword and plead mea culpea when the situation calls for it, and that's how he lost his job in Buffalo.

And of course, Jerry is certainly doing Wade no favors with Garrett and the "most talented team I've ever had that didn't go to a Superbowl" remarks.

sago1

Reaction score
Frankly I see exactly that happening; i.e. the attacks on Wade will drive this team together & motivate them even more. I also got no problem whatever with Jerry giving Garrett the big bucks to stay. If he hadn't, he'd have forced Romo to go through 3 different OC in 3 years. As good as Romo is, that's an awfully lot to ask of a young developing QB; there's no way it doesn't stump his growth. Frankly it was a great move by Jerry & have no doubt throughly supported by Wade. He'd be stupid to want Garrett despite all the media hype about Garrett replacing him & Wade on his way out.

Best way to shut the media up is for this team to stand together, work their butts off & everyone play their heart out for each other/the team, their whole coaching staff and for Jerry. Frankly the media attack on the Cowboys could be the best thing to ever happen to them. A team who believes it's us against the whole world and has the talent to back it up, is one tough mother & the Cowboys are that. This team isn't a weak emotionally as some think & Romo is nobody's weak sister, nor is Witten, TO or MBIII or most of the other playrs. They are a young team who just needed to get a burr stuck under their saddle & gain field experience. As Spagnola said, the Cowboys are locked and loaded & the rest of the NFL won't enjoy the ride.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2157739 said:
Really, if winning the most games and the division for the first time in forever won't stop it, what will? Nothing that I can see.

And you're satisified with that!? Wow, please shoot me when I become ok as an also-ran.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;2158156 said:
And you're satisified with that!? Wow, please shoot me when I become ok as an also-ran.

So if we'd gotten to the Super Bowl and lost, you'd say the same thing?

Because as Cowboys fans, we only are satisfied when we win Super Bowls, right?

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2158092 said:
As the Hardline were discussing yesterday, Dallas .. at least when it comes to the Cowboys ... there is almost no turnover in the media. Hansen, Galloway, JJT, Babe, Steve Dennis, Norm, Coop, The Ticket personalities. etc. Whereas most most markets the beatwriters turnover every 2-3 years and sportstalk radio channels go under after 3-5 years, 90% of the faces out there this week covering the Cowboys were out there 10, 15, 20 even 25 or 30 years ago.

So there is an arrogant attitude among the Dallas media of "Coaches are here today, gone tommorrow. We'll still be here long after the this one has come and gone." mindset of self-importance that prevails. I won't deny that. And as such, they expect the coaches to kowtow to them to a certain extent that you don't see with other teams and markets. When they feel they're being patronized or not being told the truth, they take it as a sign of a lack of respect that they believe they're entitled to. They are self important and they do take themselves too seriously. Hanson thought he was Ghandi, MLK and Nelson Mandella all rolled into one the way he was sanctimoniously protesting when Parcells wouldn't let him take footage of the players practicing. I thought he was going to shave his head, go on hunger strike and sing "We Shall Overcome" outside of the Alamodome.

But I think a turning point with Wade and the local media was in December when the team was obviously not playing well, and they were asking Wade about his concern and he just kind of brushed it off with a condescending tone and kept bringing up the overall record. So then the team carries that poor play into the playoffs and get beat, now the media is out for blood after 4 weeks of being talked down to. And instead of falling on his sword, Wade brings up the infamous "Final 8" defense, almost as an act of defiance. When Wade did that he lost the day-to-day beatwriters. Dale and Galloway might have been "Norv guys", but they're just blowhards that even the people in Dallas don't take all that seriously. They hardly even attend the press conferences. Most people know that they've just taken on the personality of the old, curmudgeon blowhard to be entertainers. So I don't know that their opinion holds any weight among local Dallas fans. They're the court jesters. But the beatwriters are another story.

But this is also a quirk of Wade's personality, because he is stubborn, and he is defiant and he does say stupid stuff trying to get an unnecessary jab or quip in. He won't just fall on his sword and plead mea culpea when the situation calls for it, and that's how he lost his job in Buffalo.

And of course, Jerry is certainly doing Wade no favors with Garrett and the "most talented team I've ever had that didn't go to a Superbowl" remarks.

Great post.

Reporters and columnists aren't all this way, but your description of the Dallas media reminded me of this dialogue from "The Natural."

Max Mercy: "They come and they go, Hobbs. They come and they go. I'll be around here longer than you or anybody else here. I'm here to protect this game."

Roy Hobbs: "Whose game?

Max Mercy: "I do it by making or breaking the likes of you."

Roy Hobbs: "Did you ever play ball, Max?"

Max Mercy: "No, never have. But I make it a little more fun to watch, you see. And after today, whether you're a goat or a hero ....you're gonna make me a great story."

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
theebs;2157705 said:
The national media is going to run with everything wade has said, true or not. Perception is reality.

If perception is reality, then reality is only precieved.

While in actuality, Wade said that the Giants deserved to win and gave them "mad props" for doing so. Beyond that, they are a division foe, gimme' a break, those games are already hyped.

In actuality, Osi Umanura and company have to fight the battle instead of Strahan. Dallas fans remember what it was like to lose an emotional leader in Michael Irvin. Eitherway Dallas has alot more to play for than New York.:eek:

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2158175 said:
So if we'd gotten to the Super Bowl and lost, you'd say the same thing?

Because as Cowboys fans, we only are satisfied when we win Super Bowls, right?

I am, yes. Apparently I'm in the minority, at least as this thread goes.

On the flip side, if Dallas goes say 14-2 and looses in yet another 1st round PO game, that's "satisfying" to you?

I walked out of TS last 1/13/08 with the most disgusted, sickened feeling in my gut, that will not be replaced until we DO win a 6th.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
That's fine if you feel that way.

I tend to have more realistic expectations. When a team improves in almost every area and has the best year it has in a decade, I don't get too upset.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2158240 said:
That's fine if you feel that way.

I tend to have more realistic expectations. When a team improves in almost every area and has the best year it has in a decade, I don't get too upset.

I wish I was like that.

But I was sick to my stomach for days after the playoff loss. It's almost like I could see the letdown coming throughout December and nobody did anything about it. The friggin iceberg was right there and they plowed right into it. There was no sense of urgency, it seemed. Just shrugs.

I handle the down years or the average years better I guess. To have a team that good and watch them doddle around at the end of the season was hard for me to take.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas can win less games, but be a better team. By virtue, other teams are better and just won the games, giving us 4 or 5 losses. we can still win the Division, and a playoff game. But the media will still come down on Wade, no matter what.
It's the media that is SB or bust, not the team or JJ, or at least publicly speaking about it.

Boysboy

Reaction score
jazzcat22;2158305 said:
Dallas can win less games, but be a better team. By virtue, other teams are better and just won the games, giving us 4 or 5 losses. we can still win the Division, and a playoff game. But the media will still come down on Wade, no matter what.
It's the media that is SB or bust, not the team or JJ, or at least publicly speaking about it.

For the most part-Parcells got a pass from the media for just about everything.

With all the flack Wade got for allowing Romo and Witten to go to Cabo during the bye weekend, less not forget it was Parcells who ALLOWED Romo to bring Carrie Underwood onto the field for pre-game warmups before that '06 Eagles game.(but noone in the media ever gave him flack for it)

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Boysboy;2158317 said:
For the most part-Parcells got a pass from the media for just about everything.

With all the flack Wade got for allowing Romo and Witten to go to Cabo during the bye weekend, less not forget it was Parcells who ALLOWED Romo to bring Carrie Underwood onto the field for pre-game warmups before that '06 Eagles game.(but noone in the media ever gave him flack for it)

She was getting set up to sing the National Anthem before the game. Parcells may be a control freak, but even he doesn't control the logistics of the pre-game ceremonies.

Tony caught some heat for chatting with her.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
jim rome just opened his show by saying...

"Wade needs to get his resume ready not his finger"

and there you have it.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
FWIW, Mosley was saying a few minutes on 103.3 that he couldn't believe the way Wade was attacked by the media from the start yesterday. Said that Wade may not be perfect and certainly isn't above criticism, but that some of the media almost seem to have something personal against him. Pointed out that it was like the media wanted to force him to say something, almost like a cross-examination.

So even someone who's a pro at this admits that it was over the top.

Oh well. With Jerry's Big Top beginning, something will happen soon to give us something else to talk about. Probably in the next couple hours. :eek::

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2158402 said:
FWIW, Mosley was saying a few minutes on 103.3 that he couldn't believe the way Wade was attacked by the media from the start yesterday. Said that Wade may not be perfect and certainly isn't above criticism, but that some of the media almost seem to have something personal against him. Pointed out that it was like the media wanted to force him to say something, almost like a cross-examination.

So even someone who's a pro at this admits that it was over the top.

Oh well. With Jerry's Big Top beginning, something will happen soon to give us something else to talk about. Probably in the next couple hours. :eek::

at least now i know i wasnt imagining it.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2158402 said:
With Jerry's Big Top beginning, something will happen soon to give us something else to talk about. Probably in the next couple hours. :eek::

Ain't that the truth.

There'll be a story every hour.

And if there isn't one, I'm sure they can goad Wade into saying something and then run with that.

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
The media, like the fans, will solely judge Phillips on his playoff performance. If he wins in the playoffs then it will help his image...if not, then he will be criticized even more than he is now.

His future, legacy, tenure, whatever you want to talk about all ride on one thing, playoff performance.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wade made his bed with that stoopid "We're good enough-- we're 13-3" bs.

Wade can easily silence the media-- win a playoff game.