Look how small Bell looks out there

Mark

Reaction score
Losing two of our "real" LBs this year (Overshown/LVE) certainly had something to do with the jerry-rigging that went on. Inaction on the free-agent market to fill those gaps was another factor.

You can't play who you don't have on the roster.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
it's not by design, its where they ended up. salary cap and availability has alot to do with it. Bell is 205 with rocks in his pockets.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the plan was LVE but why they gambled on a guy they can’t stay healthy is a whole other topic
Our FO has a very bad habit of believing “best case scenarios” about players. The best GMs think worst case and plan accordingly because their job is on the line. If you have a lifetime contract regardless of results, what’s the hurry?

Look at all the injury prone LBs we’ve drafted- in many cases way too early - and somehow magically believed that they would not be what they have been once they put on the star. We believed that despite their years of injuries, they would somehow magically work out.
  • Sean Lee
  • Jaylon Smith
  • Bruce Carter
  • LVE

zeke21

Reaction score
That is great footage as to why I do not believe the defence 'choked' against GB. I think they didn't have the right personal and formations but that is a different issue.

The lack of LBs was the result of losing two due to injury but then absolutely no steps were taken to replace them - that smacks of Jerry.

We then played this makeshift defensive package.. and hoped our offence can score enough that we can get the opposition into pass packages and create pressure and turnovers. Any team that had an elite RB and committed to the run was near unstoppable for our defence due to the available roster.

It isn't like DQ had a whole heap of big, run stopping LBs sitting on the pine. There was noone.

That is why Dak putting in another howler was just so bad.. because it meant GB could stay with the run game all day.. and then when we sold out to stop the run.. they torch us big. It was a disaster all round.

visionary

Reaction score
This is Quinns philosophy
Smaller DTs and LBs so the DT and DE are interchangeable and LB and safeties are interchangeable
He thinks that makes the defense less predictable
Yes it does but it also allows the teams that can run the ball to impose their will
I read a stat yesterday that Quinn has not beaten a single offense from the Shanahan tree EVER in the playoffs

This is why i do not want Quinn back because this is his philosophy and he will not change it

I would get a DC from the Ravens or the niners who know how to beat that offense because to go anywhere in playoffs we will need to beat GB, Detroit and SF. All running teams and Quinn will struggle

I hope Quinn leaves or we are in trouble

Aven8

Reaction score
I’ve stated this countless times that they should have been all over Roquan Smith at the trade line last season. He was gotten for a 2nd. We got Schoonmaker with that 2nd. Look at Balty’s D now…….

Can you even imagine how a player like Roquan, or similar player can change a defense? It’s no surprise that the two best teams in the league have two outstanding LB’s……

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
We all saw what happened when we got a real LBr when we went out and signed Ro, we need another dawg like Ro in that LB room. Big, mean, fast, and nasty dawg back there.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I think losing LVE hurt.. but yes the undersize LB is bad. My question is.. what should DQ have done? Who should be out there instead of Bell?
This is something that should have been considered since TC, you WILL need some real LBs sometimes, not your undersized safeties. At this time, what else could he do? The mistake was made well ahead of this point in time. Just terrible planning and scheme. Need a bigger, tougher, hard nosed and smart defense, that's all.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
This defense thrives on take aways. If they don’t take the ball away they are very average.
You don’t put a 204lb backer at MLB on the goal line.
That is plane stupid! AND we did it time after time! That is insanity!

Please let Quinn go!

chagus

Reaction score
Overshown is going to take at least a season or two to bounce back from his injury and LVE might as well retire because I don't expect him to be much help with his BROKEN NECK!
Totally agree. Dallas HAS to draft an LB or bring in a decent free agent. Id rather they draft, tbh.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
The problem isn't that Bell is small, it is that he diagnoses too slow. Watch how late he is to key and trigger on all these reps.

He's not a LBer, so it is what it is, but that's the way bigger issue.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I honestly would take a Bradie James style linebacker at this point. I mean what in the world is even going on??
Jonathan Hankins at this point is better/faster in coverage than Bradie James in this prime...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn’t know if I should start another Dan Quinn thread, but I hope it doesn’t get merged because I don’t want this Baldy breakdown getting lost. Look at this!!! Look how small Bell looks out there!!! I knew he was undersized playing LB but this is unbelievable to watch!!

The the plan is to have Mazi drop down to 260 pounds and play MLB...

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Not only that you have a 205lb Safely playing MLB,
And it isn't like they didn't have an opportunity to trade or get someone who was beefy enough to play that spot after they lost Overshown. They also ignored the position after knowing year after year that LVE was even more dependable than Tyron Smith to miss games.

Robster8989

Reaction score
And it isn't like they didn't have an opportunity to trade or get someone who was beefy enough to play that spot after they lost Overshown. They also ignored the position after knowing year after year that LVE was even more dependable than Tyron Smith to miss games.
Agreed. They don't plan well.
LB is a great example. We had one guy with a serious injury history, and were unprepared when he went down. A super Bowl contender is better prepared. Instead we get Safety's playing LB and get run over when it counts, and our GM is shocked.
Same at OT, though we got pretty lucky that Tyron played as much as he did this year, and that Steele played all year (even though he was not very good).
I'd also argue they were counting on more from Mazi than they got at DL.
I had doubts about Mazi's motor. I'm a U of M guy and watch them a lot, and Mazi dominated against inferior teams, but struggled against good teams (though he had a good game against the Buckeyes). In the playoff game against TCU a year ago, Steve Avila worked him over, and Mazi gave up. I didn't feel he was a first rounder based on that.
Look at the Ravens and the Niners.
They lose guys and it's next man up.
Ravens lost All Pro Mark Andrews (a top 3 NFL TE), and they didn't miss a beat.
They had Koler and Likely, both of whom they selected in the 2022 draft (5th and 6 rounds I believe), and they both shined in Andrew's absence. Talk about loaded at a position.