Looking at a potential trade destination for Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If Lance beats out Rush for QB2 then the Cowboys might be able to get a deal done for Rush. Someone may need a backup when the qb injuries come around the league. Not gonna get much but may get something.

If Rush beats out Lance then it is different. Lance would have failed with the Cowboys and Niners to be the QB2. SF gave a king's ransom to draft him and gave up rather quickly on him. And if he fails to beat out Rush then IMO he is about done in the NFL.
Nobody is trading for Rush or Lance…do I think Rush has some value to the Cowboys? I do. But think every team thinks they have a quarterback on their roster as good as Rush.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Being in the last year of his contract and still hasn't shown the ability to succeed at this level it is highly unlikely anyone would trade for him. Hed probably get signed as a free agent though.
Yeah someone would always kick the tires on a former top 3 pick. As far as trading for him? I don’t see it.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Justin Fields is the Steelers future after Wilson flames out and Tomlin has a fit on the sideline .
Justin Fields is only signed through 2024, with a team option for 2025. This in no way means he is their future, but in every way, they should hand him the ball to see if he can be....

Jfconrow

Reaction score
I kind of thought Trey is here incase Dak holds out. Also maybe Trey can become a good QB. If he doesn’t play he won’t get any experience. It sounds like Trey isn’t doing well. Regardless I’m not sure I see him signing a low contract

Kingofholland

Reaction score
To keep Cooper Rush as our #2 is a losers decision.
It may not sound sexy but Cooper Rush is 5-1. If he gives the Cowboys a better chance to win games then that's your backup.

Lets see what happens in the preseason then the decision will become clearer.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Compare the Jaguars current backup quarterbacks experience and production in the NFL to Trey Lance’s experience and production. If their “HC is so good at finding a guy to groom at QB” why the hell wouldn’t he groom guys better than Lance, with more game experience than Lance, and with more proven production than Lance, that are already on his team’s roster? Guys that have played in real game, not preseason games. Mac Jones and C.J. Beathard. Come on. No one is trading anything for Trey Lance under any circumstance real or imagined.
hey, I could care less. The question was asked and I threw it out there. I personally think Lance will be out of the league in 2 years from now if things don't improve for him. The question was hypothetical in nature. So was my answer.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
There has to be a better option than Trey Lance for a team that’s desperate at QB. I can’t imagine anyone wanting to trade for him. Very few teams were interested in him last summer. The way he’s looked this summer, no one would be interested if they’ve been listening to our camp reports. Lol Minnesota would be better off staying with Joshua Dobbs, who’s shown some flashes at times.
Yep. If you want a backup QB, here’s a list of guys who will likely get pushed to 3rd or 4th on their depth charts:
  • Taylor Heinicke
  • Malik Willis
  • Tyler Huntley
  • Bailey Zappe
  • Jaren Hall

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I kind of thought Trey is here incase Dak holds out. Also maybe Trey can become a good QB. If he doesn’t play he won’t get any experience. It sounds like Trey isn’t doing well. Regardless I’m not sure I see him signing a low contract
Lance is playing very well in camp.

Tons of video.

You are correct about Dak. He doesn’t dare holdout for more mega millions. 8)

Last edited:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
hey, I could care less. The question was asked and I threw it out there. I personally think Lance will be out of the league in 2 years from now if things don't improve for him. The question was hypothetical in nature. So was my answer.
Cooper Rush should worry.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Justin Fields is only signed through 2024, with a team option for 2025. This in no way means he is their future, but in every way, they should hand him the ball to see if he can be....
Pretty sure his team option expired just like Trance's did.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Pretty sure his team option expired just like Trance's did.
hard to find updated sources, but the last I just read, they did decline to pick it up after the 2024 season. Guess they could still sign him afterwards of course

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Chargers and Vikings are mentioned.

Who are teams that could make sense - even mild sense - trade for Trey Lance?
By RJ Ochoa Aug 3, 2024

We are just talking here. These are only words. They cannot hurt you.

Dallas Cowboys training camp is over a week in now and we are getting a chance to draw legitimate conclusions on this, that and the other. Trey Lance has been somewhat of a mystery to fans and reports to this point had been a bit all over the place, but on Friday he had what was undoubtedly his finest throw wearing a star on his helmet.

Obviously no NFL team is seriously going to trade for Lance based off of this throw, but you have got to crawl before you can walk, and this throw was our equivalent to screaming when the baby starts to scoot.

So if we live in the hypothetical where Lance is suddenly an asset that a would-be team could care about, we are still only halfway through the equation. Given that every NFL team is in the middle of training camp, there is nobody who really needs him at the moment, especially with him entering the final year of his contract.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...herbert?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
I canna imagine another team being this naive or needy.
Trey Lance has no NFL value.

Chasing6

Reaction score
they certainly aren't helping the guy if they stick to the Russ dribble that seems to be going around. Curious to see how this plays out in the end when Tomline realizes Wilson can't play QB any longer....
Dak's landing spot.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Is the premise Trey has done nothing to elevate himself above Cooper Rush on the depth chart? Without a single preseason game being played, I'm not buying that.

csirl

Reaction score
Thread makes no sense.

If Lance has a good preseason, he'll be kept on the roster. If he has a poor preseason, he has no trade value.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Anybody really think Jerry gonna bail early on his chance to prove himself the smartest "football guy" in the room? Give it lees than a 2% chance.
All Jerry has to do to win that trade, is to deal him for at least a fourth round pick… That way he doesn’t lose any more than he gained. And at least he did gain the opportunity to observe the quarterback.

And until TL does something at least noteworthy in the preseason, I don’t see that happening. He has to go on display before his value can increase.

But no, Trey Lance does not have to become a great quarterback, or even a starter, for JJ to look like he made a smart move