Looking at a potential trade destination for Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance

Adreme

Reaction score
I really don’t want Trey traded because he’s one of my pet cats this season. But Herbert breaking his foot really helps us in this regard. The Vikings are interesting as well. With the reports coming out of Dallas as being mixed to negative about Trey I would love to get our 4th back or even a 3rd. I think I’m coming to grips he may not be our next franchise QB regardless of what happens with Dak so if we can flip the pick, that would be awesome.

Hopefully Trey balls out in the preseason against vanilla defenses and the Vikings or Chargers get nervous and trades for him. If Trey had 2 years left on his rookie deal then I’d say no way, let’s keep developing him, but the fact he’s not under contract for ‘25, trade him if you can.
0% chance he gets traded for anything higher than a 5th, more likely a 6th with a conditional 5th based on playing time (could be a conditional 6th even).

Look at the other QBs traded this offseason and remember that all of them have more starting experience and as bad as Fields is, even he has shown more to make people believe he belongs in the league. Jerry overpaid by a big margin and no one else will do that.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Gardner Minshew is a lot better than Trey Lance.
I know lol.

I'm saying if the Raiders are, say, 2-5, then playing the better player doesn't matter. The season is over anyways, so they might be tempted to take a late-round flier on Lance and just see if there's anything there for next year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I know lol.

I'm saying if the Raiders are, say, 2-5, then playing the better player doesn't matter. The season is over anyways, so they might be tempted to take a late-round flier on Lance and just see if there's anything there for next year.
If the Raiders were 2-5 their season would be far from over with 10 games left. They’re going to play the better QB that gives them a chance to win. There isn’t anything there with Trey Lance. Someone in the Cowboys media said he doesn’t even look like an NFL QB. We’re seeing why the 49ers dumped him after only two seasons.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Dallas didn't trade for Lance just to try and flip him. His trade value isn't zero, but Dallas is not getting its investment back anytime soon. Maybe after a year or two of development....

Dallas traded for Lance for 1 reason- to see if he is a potential replacement for Dak. It's just too bad they don't control his rights for longer. Lance would also benefit from some stability and coaching.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Dak's landing spot.
could likely be discussed, but I can't recall the last massive contract the team has signed. Vegas seems more likely if you ask me, or as all the genius guys at ESPN think...Giants with Bill

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Chargers and Vikings are mentioned.

Who are teams that could make sense - even mild sense - trade for Trey Lance?
By RJ Ochoa Aug 3, 2024

We are just talking here. These are only words. They cannot hurt you.

Dallas Cowboys training camp is over a week in now and we are getting a chance to draw legitimate conclusions on this, that and the other. Trey Lance has been somewhat of a mystery to fans and reports to this point had been a bit all over the place, but on Friday he had what was undoubtedly his finest throw wearing a star on his helmet.

Obviously no NFL team is seriously going to trade for Lance based off of this throw, but you have got to crawl before you can walk, and this throw was our equivalent to screaming when the baby starts to scoot.

So if we live in the hypothetical where Lance is suddenly an asset that a would-be team could care about, we are still only halfway through the equation. Given that every NFL team is in the middle of training camp, there is nobody who really needs him at the moment, especially with him entering the final year of his contract.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...herbert?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Maybe the Calgary Stampeders, we could maybe get a bottle of maple syrup and a half pound of back bacon.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Dallas didn't trade for Lance just to try and flip him. His trade value isn't zero, but Dallas is not getting its investment back anytime soon. Maybe after a year or two of development....

Dallas traded for Lance for 1 reason- to see if he is a potential replacement for Dak. It's just too bad they don't control his rights for longer. Lance would also benefit from some stability and coaching.
Lance would also benefit from some stability and coaching.
So Trey should leave Dallas now then? In SF he had that, this team the HC is on a year to year....

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
This October?
why would anyone trade for him in OCT when they can just bid on him in the off season...QB starved teams are not winning this year why would they give up any draft capitol for Trey when they could simply pay for him in FA

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
why would anyone trade for him in OCT when they can just bid on him in the off season...QB starved teams are not winning this year why would they give up any draft capitol for Trey when they could simply pay for him in FA
What if a good team making a playoff run, and their QB goes down. And Trey is better than what their current back up is.

Remember when Romo went down. We had Weeden, did nothing, they traded for Cassell.
Because they felt they had a good team to make the playoffs. But needed better QB play.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
What if a good team making a playoff run, and their QB goes down. And Trey is better than what their current back up is.

Remember when Romo went down. We had Weeden, did nothing, they traded for Cassell.
Because they felt they had a good team to make the playoffs. But needed better QB play.
From what im hearing out of camp why wouldn't they trade for Rush instead.....Rush has actual wins the NFL and no one comes after him ..not saying it cant happen I'm saying i dont believe other teams see him as that QB.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From what im hearing out of camp why wouldn't they trade for Rush instead.....Rush has actual wins the NFL and no one comes after him ..not saying it cant happen I'm saying i dont believe other teams see him as that QB.
Rush won some games yes, but he is not a long term answer to be a full time starter. He has 5 wins. Some fans act like that is a great feat.
Even Jason Garrett had some wins also.

Trey has that potential and is younger. A team would take a chance on him first.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Rush won some games yes, but he is not a long term answer to be a full time starter. He has 5 wins. Some fans act like that is a great feat.
Even Jason Garrett had some wins also.

Trey has that potential and is younger. A team would take a chance on him first.
Well we traded for an emergency 3rd string QB, so some teams may trade for a legit back up.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
So there's less guesswork in what you're bidding on. Plus, you don't have to actually "bid," if he looks good.

It's just flipping a ~6th rounder to give a guy with upside a long tryout. Not more than that.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
So there's less guesswork in what you're bidding on. Plus, you don't have to actually "bid," if he looks good.

It's just flipping a ~6th rounder to give a guy with upside a long tryout. Not more than that.
in that scenario would they not have to work out a contract before FA still, again im not saying it isnt possible i just dont see teams doing that with FA looming. Imagine flipping the pick and Trey going to FA regardless..

Chasing6

Reaction score
A QB starved team would still be starved with Trance on their roster.