CFZ Looking at Dak's WRs. has he really been helped?

cnuball21

Reaction score
giphy.gif

You completely, 10000% nailed it.

My thoughts on Dak exactly.

Yea, I mean Dak isn’t elite…I get it. But he’s a legit top 10ish dude year in and year out.

I’ve always thought the Stafford comp was a good one. Above average QB, not elite, that just needed to be on a good team to win. He helped keep the Lions relevant but just couldn’t get over the playoffs jump until he played for a team that was built for a playoff run.

Zman5

Reaction score
Forgot about Willams. He balled with Romo

His best season was in 2015 when Romo was out most of the year. His best season with Romo was his rookie year and then it kept going down except 2015.

2013 736 yards Romo
2014 621 Yards Romo
2015 840Yards ( 3 1/2 games with Romo)
2016 594 Yards Dak
2016 568 Yards Dak

I won't consider that balling, regardless of who the QB was but you are entitled to your own opinion. I don't understand why people thought he was any good. For a 3rd pick, he was average at best.

cnuball21

Reaction score
His best season was in 2015 when Romo was out most of the year. His best season with Romo was his rookie year and then it kept going down except 2015.

2013 736 yards Romo
2014 621 Yards Romo
2016 594 Yards Dak
2016 568 Yards Dak

I won't consider that balling, regardless of who the QB was but you are entitled to your own opinion. I don't understand why people thought he was any good. For a 3rd pick, he was average at best.

Yea, Williams was pretty pedestrian. Should’ve been upgraded.

Staubacher

Reaction score

2013 736 yards Romo
2014 621 Yards Romo
2016 594 Yards Dak
2016 568 Yards Dak

Very solid 2013 rookie season. 3 tuddies in 2014 playoffs , including game winner vs Detroit. I'd call that balling with Romo.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
One thing that I've noticed lately (might be all the OBJ) talk. But Dak has never had an elite, "number 1" WR. Cooper was the closest he had but I don't think he was ever a top 10 WR in the NFL. Maybe 10/11 at one point but still...

Here is a list of all the WR that have played with Dak, sorted by most games played with:

Michael Gallup
Cole Beasley
Noah Brown
Amari Cooper
Terrance Williams
Brice Butler
Dez Bryant
CeeDee Lamb
Cedrick Wilson
Tavon Austin
Malik Turner
Allen Hurns
Ryan Switzer
Randall Cobb
Lucky Whitehead
Ventell Bryant
Lance Lenoir
Deonte Thompson
KaVontae Turpin
Simi Fehoko
Vince Mayle
Jalen Tolbert
Devin Smith
Dennis Houston
Damion Ratley

Dez was great but Dak got him toward the end. CeeDee looks to be a great one, up and coming but doesn't seem to be a dominant, game-wreaking type... Cooper was/is a top 11-20 guy but again he disappears for long stretches.

I like Dak a lot... I think he is a top 5-10 QB in the game and has evolved his game every season... i just wonder what we'd look like with an AJ Brown, Justin Jefferson, DK Metcalf, or Jamar Chase type.
Cee Dee needs to improve his route running. Dak is not 100% comfortable knowing he’ll be where he’s supposed to be. He can do it and has gotten better. Still has a ways to go.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Cee Dee needs to improve his route running. Dak is not 100% comfortable knowing he’ll be where he’s supposed to be. He can do it and has gotten better. Still has a ways to go.

Yea, I think if he can slightly tighten up his routes and finish a little better in contested catches it’ll take him into that top tier.

He’s already a #1 for me, just not in that elite list of dudes.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
One thing that I've noticed lately (might be all the OBJ) talk. But Dak has never had an elite, "number 1" WR. Cooper was the closest he had but I don't think he was ever a top 10 WR in the NFL. Maybe 10/11 at one point but still...

Here is a list of all the WR that have played with Dak, sorted by most games played with:

Michael Gallup
Cole Beasley
Noah Brown
Amari Cooper
Terrance Williams
Brice Butler
Dez Bryant
CeeDee Lamb
Cedrick Wilson
Tavon Austin
Malik Turner
Allen Hurns
Ryan Switzer
Randall Cobb
Lucky Whitehead
Ventell Bryant
Lance Lenoir
Deonte Thompson
KaVontae Turpin
Simi Fehoko
Vince Mayle
Jalen Tolbert
Devin Smith
Dennis Houston
Damion Ratley

Dez was great but Dak got him toward the end. CeeDee looks to be a great one, up and coming but doesn't seem to be a dominant, game-wreaking type... Cooper was/is a top 11-20 guy but again he disappears for long stretches.

I like Dak a lot... I think he is a top 5-10 QB in the game and has evolved his game every season... i just wonder what we'd look like with an AJ Brown, Justin Jefferson, DK Metcalf, or Jamar Chase type.
You know why we never see our receivers run rub routes, or ever see them stacked up to one side? Because the offense relies on our WR to win their one on one battles. That's why Moore calls so many option routes. In order for a WR to excel in the offense, he has to be able to cut on a dime or make contested catches. So we're talking about speed or strong hands.

A.Cooper could cut on a dime, but he always had plantar fasciitis. T Austin couldn't catch. Injuries caught up with Dez. But none of that matters. If the play caller keeps calling the same plays over and over again every receiver on this team will struggle. You can't beat a DB who knows what you are about to do. The only player I've seen that could constantly get open in our system was Cole Beasley.

The play calling has to help the receivers get open at times. Expecting these guys to get open all by themselves is a fool's errand. So, Dak has had a very nice collection of WR's, what he hasn't had is an excellent play caller. First it was Garrett handcuffing the offense, now it's Moore. And even though the offense is being held back by it's play caller, Dak and the guys still find ways to win.

Zman5

Reaction score
Very solid 2013 rookie season. 3 tuddies in 2014 playoffs , including game winner vs Detroit. I'd call that balling with Romo.

If that's the case, I guess Gallups been balling with Dak. LOL.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Michael Gallup
Cole Beasley
Noah Brown
Amari Cooper
Terrance Williams
Brice Butler
Dez Bryant
CeeDee Lamb
Cedrick Wilson
Tavon Austin
Malik Turner
Allen Hurns
Ryan Switzer
Randall Cobb
Lucky Whitehead
Ventell Bryant
Lance Lenoir
Deonte Thompson
KaVontae Turpin
Simi Fehoko
Vince Mayle
Jalen Tolbert
Devin Smith
Dennis Houston
Damion Ratley

Cooper made the Pro Bowl his first 2 seasons here, averaging 9.5 and 10.0 yards per *target*.
Stud.

jay94

Reaction score
On any other roster Terrance Williams would of been marked down as a need to upgrade if he was their 2.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
No he hasn’t.
Your wide receiver room was solid with Cooper, not to beat the dead horse again. The problem is the Cowboys over evaluate the talent on their roster, they like our guys, which leads to wide receiver by committee, we can live without Cooper the others will step up type of decisions.

This mindset has hurt your team in other positions groups also. When the owner is the GM you have these issues.Jerry is the biggest Cowboy fan out there, he is also the biggest Jerry fan out there.

Just .02 from an Eagle fan.

The team didn't view Cooper as a guy they could count on week in and week out. He disappeared a few too many times for their liking and with Lamb in the wings, they decided to move on.

I was a bit surprised that they signed Gallup, to be honest, he didn't step up last season when Lamb and Cooper were out and has been inconsistent most of his career. To me, he is more of a 2b and they still need to find that other guy opposite of Lamb.

cnuball21

Reaction score
You know why we never see our receivers run rub routes, or ever see them stacked up to one side? Because the offense relies on our WR to win their one on one battles. That's why Moore calls so many option routes. In order for a WR to excel in the offense, he has to be able to cut on a dime or make contested catches. So we're talking about speed or strong hands.

A.Cooper could cut on a dime, but he always had plantar fasciitis. T Austin couldn't catch. Injuries caught up with Dez. But none of that matters. If the play caller keeps calling the same plays over and over again every receiver on this team will struggle. You can't beat a DB who knows what you are about to do. The only player I've seen that could constantly get open in our system was Cole Beasley.

The play calling has to help the receivers get open at times. Expecting these guys to get open all by themselves is a fool's errand. So, Dak has had a very nice collection of WR's, what he hasn't had is an excellent play caller. First it was Garrett handcuffing the offense, now it's Moore. And even though the offense is being held back by it's play caller, Dak and the guys still find ways to win.

Interesting take. Lamb is the only one with that short area quickness for those option routes and him and Dak have had some communication issues. Hopefully they can work it out bc it’s a huge play waiting to happen.

I’d agree about the play caller, but I’d strongly diss agree about Dak having a “very nice collection” of WRs right now.

Stsinaz12

Reaction score

Michael Gallup
Cole Beasley
Noah Brown
Amari Cooper
Terrance Williams
Brice Butler
Dez Bryant
CeeDee Lamb
Cedrick Wilson
Tavon Austin
Malik Turner
Allen Hurns
Ryan Switzer
Randall Cobb
Lucky Whitehead
Ventell Bryant
Lance Lenoir
Deonte Thompson
KaVontae Turpin
Simi Fehoko
Vince Mayle
Jalen Tolbert
Devin Smith
Dennis Houston
Damion Ratley

Especially w him losing schultz this offseason. We have so many needs cb lb tackle in offseason