Looking forward to moving on

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
IMO JJ is consumed with getting the best value vs the best talent to prove he is a great GM. It explains why he drafts injured players in the later rounds. He has been shopping in the bargain bin way too much. It is not surprising we have so many injured players on the roster when they came to the team with a history of being injured.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I think I'm moving on past next year. The prospects don't look very good. The year after that maybe but probably not so I'm planning for a big season in 2016.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are delusional, I'm bookmarking this just so I can throw it in your face to show you how wrong you are in a few months.

Amazing, I cannot stand armchair GMs. You know absolutely nothing.

This board is full of them....
I for one have no clue, that's why I post on here. I do have my opinions, but that means squat.
My opinions are also meant for after the season is over.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Cutting Carr makes zero sense. That part of the post was added for shock value. At least I hope so.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Can't cut em all on June 1st and even if you could you'd put about like $22M in dead money for 2015. Then you have to go out and find someone who can give you what they.

Keifer

Reaction score
Cutting Carr would be a horrible decision. I know that when I post here Im supposed to hate Jerry and bash everything that he does but up until last year we had two areas that absolutely killed us and that was the offensive line and our secondary and in my opinion he has upgraded both these areas enough to contend.
If our defensive line would not have been decimated by injuries and a thief this team would be dominant, the corners have done a hell of a job this this year considering we get next to no pressure on the quarterback. If we get the line fixed next year I think we will see how good they really are.
As far as this season goes all we have to do is look at the Giants and the Ravens. Are we the best team in the league? No, but history says just make the playoffs and get hot at the right time and who knows what can happen.

Eddie

Reaction score
Jerry's history says they will be here till the wheels come off

Yep, that's about it. No one is going anywhere. We'll pay and pay and pay until these guys can't walk anymore ... then we'll pay them for a few more years.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You are delusional, I'm bookmarking this just so I can throw it in your face to show you how wrong you are in a few months.

Amazing, I cannot stand armchair GMs. You know absolutely nothing.

I am with David here wholeheartedly.
If there was a good example of a terrible thread, this would be it.

We are 7-5 and in first place but should cancel the rest of the season and cut everyone.

We should whine and complain about who won't be cut because Jerry was too loyal in 1999.

Good grief.

Jerry cut people last year and he will cut people this year.
Cutting many on this goofball list won't happen because you still need players if you want to win games.
And the math is all wrong. That "savings" doesn't exist.

Let's look at the most obvious dumb cut: DeMarcus Ware.
But, but, but we save a lot of money... NO, you don't.
Ware's base next year is 12.5 million but he isn't being paid that in base salary.
He'll be handed a restructure bonus of 10+M and his base will drop to around 2m.
OR we cut him and eat as much or MORE than he'd cost to keep.
Granted his money in future years comes off the books but in the mean time you let a Hall of Fame pass rusher walk.

The best thing about this forum is it it makes Jerry Jones look like a genius personnel man.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
Instead of cutting Ware, why not sign Jared Allen to a short term deal? He's over 30 and will not get a long term deal anywhere. He'd boost our Dline and or once we'd have pressure coming from both ends. I'd give Hatcher a 2-3 yr offer as well and if he doesn't bite we have Crawford who can slide in to his spot. Depending how much we have after signing Allen and restructuring some contracts I would love to go after DT Linval Joseph. If that doesn't work, I'd give Kevin Williams a 1 yr offer after the draft. I can see him in a similar situation as Waters. I don't see him signing with a team until after training camp.

Draft:

1- DT Ra'Shede Hageman
2- DE Kony Ealy
3- OG Anthony Steen
4- S Deone Bucannon
5- RB Carlos Hyde
7- DT Beau Allen
7- QB Keith Price/Jeff Mathews (develop)

Move Church to WLB.

I know my post is just entirely about the Dline, but this is our weakest link of the team. Hageman and Ealy will add some youth to our Dline and provide us with some depth.

I know, I'm being an arm chair GM. I admit it!! Lol

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
the reality is Miles WILL be cut. --we drafted his repelacement in terrence williams.
Spencer will be allowed to walk if he gets mega-offers.

Carr and Ware will be restructured/extended to reduce cap hits.

but none of this matters right now.
this team isn't close to done for the year.

someone mistook the Cowboys with the Commanders or giants.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Cutting Carr would cost us 17 million in dead money, and would represent a 4.6 million loss against the cap. Not happening. I'm on board with cutting some of the others, even if it means a good sized cap hit (cutting Ware would result in 8.5 mill dead, but 7.5 mill savings; Berny would be 2.6 dead, but 1.4 savings), but Carr is too unrealistic.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
the reality is Miles WILL be cut. --we drafted his repelacement in terrence williams.

I think your approach is more realistic. Carr has been reliable for most of the season, but will need to take a pay cut or a restructured contract to stick around. It will be very tough for Jerry Jones to say good bye to DWARE it don't matter if its this year or next. But if you take WARE's CAP Hit, Injuries, Age and Level of play the last few years its time IMO for him for him to move on. Much like Indy did with Freeny, Atlanta did with John Abraham and even the Giants with Osi Umenyiora. At DWARE's current level he easy to replace and its gonna happen at some point, miz well start looking for his replacement now.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At this point in the season while I'm not ruling out making the playoffs, I believe we will, but I honestly don't think we're going to be able to compete with playoff caliber teams... at least not the way we are playing right now. Dunbar appearing to breakout gave me short lived hope, but obviously that didn't last.

At this point I'm looking forward to the team moving on from:

Miles Austin - Cutting Austin in June saves us 5.5 million dollars in 2014, and 4.53 million in 2015, 12.5 million in 2016) Based on our salary cap situation, I don't see how this guy is here any longer.
DeMarcus Ware (save about 12 million cutting ware in June, and another 12 million in 2014, and then 14 million in 2015 and 2016 respectively)
Anthony Spencer*
Mackenzy Bernadeau (Dude costs 3.5 million next year if we keep him... nuff said)

When you combine these four players with the likes of Ratliff, you have a complete vacuum of resources against our salary cap, that isn't being filled by their production.

I put asterix on Spencer, because I could see us resigning him to a really comfortable 1 year deal given that I don't think ANYONE will pay him for the multi year deal that he will want, and I think his best deal is probably staying here and trying to earn his final contract (which I still wouldn't give him).

Surprise cut: Brandon Carr

That might stun some people, especially after he had yet another clutch interception late in the game against Oakland, but the simple reality is we aren't getting anywhere with these cornerbacks. They don't fit the system, and without enough resources dedicated towards the pass rush, this defense simply isn't going anywhere.

Quite frankly the guy just gets paid entirely too much money for a player who again quite frankly gets beat too much. Cutting him in June saves cost 4.717 million, saving us 7.5 million this year. It doesn't save us much for 2015, but then reopens the salary cap in 2016.

I think a lot of our season next year relies on our ability to finish reforming this offensive line, and completely reforming the defensive line (that probably includes Hatcher, who I don't think we're going to be able to afford). It would be a great help if Waters could return again next year, but clearly we can't rely on that (nor can we rely on him staying healthy).

As I've been saying Rounds 1-3 are G/DT/DE

We might be able to use Doug Free for one more year as long as we upgrade a guard spot. Even if Waters comes back, and plays like he did last year, I'd still draft someone to push/replace Leary.

Miles Austin just needs to be gone. Can't wait to see what we can do with reps going to players who deserve them in training camp. Terrance Williams seemingly hit the rookie wall this year, but with a year under his belt he should come on strong next year. Beasley should also be pretty well developed going into his 3rd year.

The annoying thing is that we probably still need to address the running back situation still. And that certainly complicates things. If the right running back is there, I'd even take one in the 1st, which goes against everything I said about the offensive/defensive lines, and what I've said about drafting running backs in the 1st round. Can you find a running back in any round? Sure, but it's obviously going to be more successful doing so as early as possible.

Basically a lot of things have to happen, and we shouldn't get too attached to certain players because we need to see some change and improvement.
Your numbers are a bit misleading.

They don't "save" that money against the 2014 cap. The net gain under the 2014 cap for cutting Austin on June 1st is less then 1M due to the dead money. They eventually save the 5.5M but most of it does not show up under the 2014 cap.

I do agree that Austin should be cut. Regardless of his skill level, he can't stay on the field.

They should consider cutting Ware. His 12.25M base salary is very high for a player that appears to be in decline. His shoulder/neck issues appear to be preventing him from fighting through the holding like he did in previous years. I've seen some plays this year where the OLineman hit Ware's facemask causing him to recoil in pain and be completely out of the play. I think in most or all of these instances he went to the sideline and didn't return for a significant period of time.

Carr is still a relatively young player in the prime of his career. I have not looked at his contract numbers, but I'm certain cutting a player only 2 years into a 50M contract would be a massive dead money hit. You don't make that move unless you're giving up and doing a complete rebuild. There would be no need to keep Romo or any of the older players if you're doing a complete rebuild.

Bernadeau's cap hit is 3.5M but you only save his 2.25M base salary be cutting him. Only part of that savings would show up as extra cap space in 2014. They have zero depth at Guard. His salary is reasonable even as a backup Guard/Center. Cutting him would not make sense unless they somehow come out of training camp loaded at Guard which seems unlikely.

A more reasonable plan:
Cut Austin.
Avoid the temptation of giving Hatcher a big contract at age 32.
Move on from Spencer unless he takes a really cheap 1 year deal with no guaranteed money.
Consider cutting Ware and replacing him with a younger free agent.
Only give out big contracts to players under 28 years old.
Look at free agent DL and OL without getting hung up on retaining your own older players.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Your numbers are a bit misleading.

They don't "save" that money against the 2014 cap. The net gain under the 2014 cap for cutting Austin on June 1st is less then 1M due to the dead money. They eventually save the 5.5M but most of it does not show up under the 2014 cap.

I do agree that Austin should be cut. Regardless of his skill level, he can't stay on the field.

They should consider cutting Ware. His 12.25M base salary is very high for a player that appears to be in decline. His shoulder/neck issues appear to be preventing him from fighting through the holding like he did in previous years. I've seen some plays this year where the OLineman hit Ware's facemask causing him to recoil in pain and be completely out of the play. I think in most or all of these instances he went to the sideline and didn't return for a significant period of time.

Carr is still a relatively young player in the prime of his career. I have not looked at his contract numbers, but I'm certain cutting a player only 2 years into a 50M contract would be a massive dead money hit. You don't make that move unless you're giving up and doing a complete rebuild. There would be no need to keep Romo or any of the older players if you're doing a complete rebuild.

Bernadeau's cap hit is 3.5M but you only save his 2.25M base salary be cutting him. Only part of that savings would show up as extra cap space in 2014. They have zero depth at Guard. His salary is reasonable even as a backup Guard/Center. Cutting him would not make sense unless they somehow come out of training camp loaded at Guard which seems unlikely.

A more reasonable plan:
Cut Austin.
Avoid the temptation of giving Hatcher a big contract at age 32.
Move on from Spencer unless he takes a really cheap 1 year deal with no guaranteed money.
Consider cutting Ware and replacing him with a younger free agent.
Only give out big contracts to players under 28 years old.
Look at free agent DL and OL without getting hung up on retaining your own older players.

Now we're talking...
You constantly remind me why I love reading your posts.

Lazyking

Reaction score
I don't see Ware or Carr going anywhere. Kiffen will be let go and they will bring in a new Dc. Besides, we have no one to take Ware's place unless we somehow draft Clowney. Carr is out best DB.. he's had some major gaffes but again, where is the replacement.

Miles and some o-line are easiest to get rid of. I also think Murray will be gone too.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
harris has garcon/boldin type toughness. i just don't think he can get open consistently. he won't be more than a 4th receiver here ever. i wish they'd use him more out of the backfield. he can throw the ball right? why no trick plays involving harris? total lack of creativity from the offensive staff....

He also has poor hands.

Harris is not a NFL receiver you could count on to play significantly at the position. Let him be a returner and gunner until the wheels fall off. Not a bad NFL living.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score

Ware has a base salary of over 12 million next year, and a cap hit of 16 million. As I understand restructuring deals, if we restructure him, that would turn that 12 million into a signing bonus, which would then be spread out over the rest of the deal. Saves us money now, but pushes more money into later years, and unless he plays it out, we'd still be looking at significant dead money/cap hits at some point. You'd basically be guaranteeing him more years, and with his age and injury issues over the last couple of seasons, is that smart? Not trying to argue, just trying to understand what the best course of action would be. Personally, I'm torn when it comes to Ware (and Witten).

Lazyking

Reaction score
Give me some replacements because you know Jerry is not going to rebuild, you better have a free agent or a draft pick that can be Ware or Witten or whoever other core guy you feel like cutting. it would be one thing if George Selvie was this beast waiting to take over for Ware or our TE picks wern't such failures.