Looking forward to moving on

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Ware and Carr are going nowhere. Miles will be gone and Bern perhaps. I never understood the fans wanting to get rid of players. I think some people are getting spoiled and should remember the 5-11 years. Just because you get rid of a good player does not mean you will replace them with another good player.

No on Ware and Carr leaving. Yes on most of your other observations.

They have been trying to rebuild now for the last 3 years under Garrett.

I think they go one more season with him and if they don't right it..then he's gone and the house cleaning you suggest happens.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I think this discussion is a little early and better suited for the off season. But on a day when the Cowboys are off, its a good topic to here the fans point of views, (which are all over the place).

When you look at performance, cap issues, and injuries this team will have a lot decisions to make in the off season. There will have to be some big changes in Dallas if Jerry Jones wants to sign, DEZ, Tyron Smith, Hatcher, Spencer or try to get a top DL to come in. Money will be tight regardless and cuts will have to happen someplace. I know Jerry can restructure the whole teams contracts to save countless money on the cap, and that is a bigger problem than keeping or cutting DWARE. The first step has got to be and without a doubt....take the check book and pen away from Jerry Jones

Even with restructuring we're tight against the cap. You're basically looking at the same team we have right now, with restructuring and keeping players like Ware.

For how many fans complain about this team not winning, they seem to love the status quo.

As for having this discussion now as opposed to in the offseason, it makes no difference.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
So every season that we have no chance at SB, are we going to just blow up the team?

dboyz

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the season playing out. My favorite team is 7-5 tied for the NFC east lead. We have a franchise qb, excellent skill players and the OL is playing the best it has in years. The defense statistically is poor, but having said that (and most may disagree), I think if we can can everyone back healthy (Lee, Claiborne, etc.) I like our defense better than the one of the past few years. It seems like we can make stops when we have to. I know we are a long shot for the super bowl, but we do have a chance and this is the best team we have had since 09. I'm ok waiting on the offseason a little while longer.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
You are delusional, I'm bookmarking this just so I can throw it in your face to show you how wrong you are in a few months.

Amazing, I cannot stand armchair GMs. You know absolutely nothing.

DavidS , you have the right to disagree with the OP, but why not tell us why you do ?
I really don't understand these driveby critical post that add nothing to the conversation o_O

theSHOW

Reaction score
The best we can hope for is that they draft wares replacement and go heavy ol/DL in the draft.
As far as witten.... Well Jerry already took care of us there with our shiny 2nd round toy from this yrs draft. ....:D

Any chance Jerry buys us another batteries included TE toy in the 1st or 2nd?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Let me respond to quite a few of you in general.

You or at least the thinking like yours is the reason why we are year after year an average/mediocre team.

I'm a fan of Ware and even Carr for that matter, but I'm also a bigger fan of winning. It's simple economics here, neither of those players are worth what we are paying them. And the money you give them takes away from another position, thus weakening those positions. Even if you draft well, that continues to be true.

People saying give Ware one more year... let me tell you what's wrong with that. Giving Ware one more year, at his current salary, is simply taking yet another year away from Romo, when he ultimately doesn't perform. We have zero pass rush, even with Ware out there. It's time to spread the wealth to the entire defensive line.

We put 20 million into our bookends this year, and we've gotten more out of Selvie... Throw in Ratliff and you're probably at 25 million. You spread that out towards some actual youthful talented players and draft at that position, and you're going to see a much better defensive line.

The reason I release Carr is so that you can put more money towards the defensive line. You fix the pass rush, and your corners are going to be a lot better. It's why you see Terence Newman playing much better football in Cincinnati.

I'd much rather start Claiborne and Scandrick with a massive pass rush than Carr and scandrick/claiborne with the defensive line we have now or the makeshift defensive line we would try to put together while retaining carr and ware.

I said we can get one more year out of Doug Free, because signing his replacement would be cost prohibitive, and having to focus a draft pick to get a starter to replace him would subtract from our ability to add defensive linemen and a guard, and maybe even a running back.

It's about opportunity costs which many of you have exhibited you don't understand.

Someone challenged whether my numbers were accurate, I'd suggest they relook at the numbers.

Here is the rub, the Sports Fan vs the business side of the NFL.
Who here does not love D. Ware ? We all do !!!! How could you be a Cowboys fan and not ?
But from a business point of few, he has had significant injuries the last 2 seasons, and carries a large cap hit.
Smarter people than those who post on this board have always said you cut a player a year too early instead of a year too late.
I think this is where Jerry gets into trouble, he is a Fan at heart and has a hard time letting longtime quality players go.

TTexasTT

Reaction score
Here is the rub, the Sports Fan vs the business side of the NFL.
Who here does not love D. Ware ? We all do !!!! How could you be a Cowboys fan and not ?
But from a business point of few, he has had significant injuries the last 2 seasons, and carries a large cap hit.
Smarter people than those who post on this board have always said you cut a player a year too early instead of a year too late.
I think this is where Jerry gets into trouble, he is a Fan at heart and has a hard time letting longtime quality players go.

Smarter people than those who post here? Thats a very large number and those that know the most are paid to do so... Those people are some of those that are emplyed my this multibillion dollar franchise. JJ is a strange dude, but he knows what hes doing. He dumped Landry that wasnt exactly the most popular move but he managed to win 3SB by doing so. Hes not afraid to cut ties if it helps his business. He would cut Ware in a heartbeat it it would benefit the Dallas Cowboys. Ware has had 2 injuries in back to back years. So what? Hes not a old lady with a broken hip. Hes younger than Mathis, for example, and hes having a career year. There is no reason to believe Ware cant do the same. Sean Lee has had two injures in back to back years and I dont want him gone yet either. I remember a time about a year ago when Witten was said to be washed up and everyone wanted him gone. It was just a busted spline... He went on to have a career high in receptions. Loyalty aside, cutting Demarcus Ware just seems like a terrible idea. Those that detest JJ should probably just move on to another team OR prepare for atleast 15 more years with him in the drivers seat.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Surprise cut: Brandon Carr

That might stun some people, especially after he had yet another clutch interception late in the game against Oakland, but the simple reality is we aren't getting anywhere with these cornerbacks.

With the DL we've started each week there aren't any CB's who would look like All-Pro types.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Smarter people than those who post here? Thats a very large number and those that know the most are paid to do so... Those people are some of those that are emplyed my this multibillion dollar franchise. JJ is a strange dude, but he knows what hes doing. He dumped Landry that wasnt exactly the most popular move but he managed to win 3SB by doing so. Hes not afraid to cut ties if it helps his business. He would cut Ware in a heartbeat it it would benefit the Dallas Cowboys. Ware has had 2 injuries in back to back years. So what? Hes not a old lady with a broken hip. Hes younger than Mathis, for example, and hes having a career year. There is no reason to believe Ware cant do the same. Sean Lee has had two injures in back to back years and I dont want him gone yet either. I remember a time about a year ago when Witten was said to be washed up and everyone wanted him gone. It was just a busted spline... He went on to have a career high in receptions. Loyalty aside, cutting Demarcus Ware just seems like a terrible idea. Those that detest JJ should probably just move on to another team OR prepare for atleast 15 more years with him in the drivers seat.

Naw, I am ready for Jerry to be here another 50 years... Ever see the movie "A Weekend at Bernies" ?

Galian Beast

Reaction score
With the DL we've started each week there aren't any CB's who would look like All-Pro types.

That's exactly my point. Unless you can get after the qb, it doesn't matter who you have at cornerback.

It's time we dumped resources into this defensive line, and done so appropriately.