Looking forward to moving on

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Coming into this year we heard nothing but how Ware was abusing Tyron in practice.

Tyron is now dominating people in the league and yet somehow Ware is a bum and needs to be let go?

You give Ware another year to see if he stays healthy. And if his body proves to be shot you're covered at the position since you presumably have drafted some viable replacements (who by the way would benefit with a year playing on the same team as Ware).

I continue to be amazed at how bad some of you would be as NFL GMs. You blast Jerry for no vision and yet you're the most reactionary bunch there is.

The same type of person who makes this post was busy in the 3rd quarter last week typing up a "let's bench Murray for Dunbar post."

You're the same type of person who says Witten needs to be a situational player only.

You're the same type of person who says we should have benched Dez in back to back weeks where he basically saved the game for us at the end after some unfortunate miscues.

I could go on but I just threw up in my mouth.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ware isn't going anywhere. Now, if he only plays half the games next season, then it is for sure time to move on. His replacement does need to be drafted in the next draft and not wait until it is too late.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Coming into this year we heard nothing but how Ware was abusing Tyron in practice.

Tyron is now dominating people in the league and yet somehow Ware is a bum and needs to be let go?

You give Ware another year to see if he stays healthy. And if his body proves to be shot you're covered at the position since you presumably have drafted some viable replacements (who by the way would benefit with a year playing on the same team as Ware).

I continue to be amazed at how bad some of you would be as NFL GMs. You blast Jerry for no vision and yet you're the most reactionary bunch there is.

The same type of person who makes this post was busy in the 3rd quarter last week typing up a "let's bench Murray for Dunbar post."

You're the same type of person who says Witten needs to be a situational player only.

You're the same type of person who says we should have benched Dez in back to back weeks where he basically saved the game for us at the end after some unfortunate miscues.

Ware isn't a bum, but he also isn't worth a 16 million dollar cap hit. We're over the cap by a significant margin to begin with. You say give him one more year. Well, that's either going to be a very expensive year, or you could save money by restructuring his deal, but then you're basically adding more guaranteed years. To me, it isn't a clear cut situation either way.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Threads like this suck and I do not specifically mean this thread. Cut this person and cut this person and cut this person...reminds why I hate salary caps in sports. As a fan, I want Ware to finish his career in Dallas. I never want to see him wear another franchise's uniform. The thought of cutting Ware to save a few bucks for salary cap space sickens me.

Lazyking

Reaction score
Threads like this suck and I do not specifically mean this thread. Cut this person and cut this person and cut this person...reminds why I hate salary caps in sports. As a fan, I want Ware to finish his career in Dallas. I never want to see him wear another franchise's uniform. The thought of cutting Ware to save a few bucks for salary cap space sickens me.

I don't want Ware to play for another team either but sentimentality about players is what kills franchises. it is a business after all.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
If there was no salary cap do you think anyone would start a thread listing him as one of the key players to cut?

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Agree with all excpet carr No way we cut carr. Hes been the most solid player on this team 2 years in a row now. Well besides Romo of course.

Brooksey

Reaction score
At this point in the season while I'm not ruling out making the playoffs, I believe we will, but I honestly don't think we're going to be able to compete with playoff caliber teams... at least not the way we are playing right now. Dunbar appearing to breakout gave me short lived hope, but obviously that didn't last.

At this point I'm looking forward to the team moving on from:

Miles Austin - Cutting Austin in June saves us 5.5 million dollars in 2014, and 4.53 million in 2015, 12.5 million in 2016) Based on our salary cap situation, I don't see how this guy is here any longer.
DeMarcus Ware (save about 12 million cutting ware in June, and another 12 million in 2014, and then 14 million in 2015 and 2016 respectively)
Anthony Spencer*
Mackenzy Bernadeau (Dude costs 3.5 million next year if we keep him... nuff said)

When you combine these four players with the likes of Ratliff, you have a complete vacuum of resources against our salary cap, that isn't being filled by their production.

I put asterix on Spencer, because I could see us resigning him to a really comfortable 1 year deal given that I don't think ANYONE will pay him for the multi year deal that he will want, and I think his best deal is probably staying here and trying to earn his final contract (which I still wouldn't give him).

Surprise cut: Brandon Carr

That might stun some people, especially after he had yet another clutch interception late in the game against Oakland, but the simple reality is we aren't getting anywhere with these cornerbacks. They don't fit the system, and without enough resources dedicated towards the pass rush, this defense simply isn't going anywhere.

Quite frankly the guy just gets paid entirely too much money for a player who again quite frankly gets beat too much. Cutting him in June saves cost 4.717 million, saving us 7.5 million this year. It doesn't save us much for 2015, but then reopens the salary cap in 2016.

I think a lot of our season next year relies on our ability to finish reforming this offensive line, and completely reforming the defensive line (that probably includes Hatcher, who I don't think we're going to be able to afford). It would be a great help if Waters could return again next year, but clearly we can't rely on that (nor can we rely on him staying healthy).

As I've been saying Rounds 1-3 are G/DT/DE

We might be able to use Doug Free for one more year as long as we upgrade a guard spot. Even if Waters comes back, and plays like he did last year, I'd still draft someone to push/replace Leary.

Miles Austin just needs to be gone. Can't wait to see what we can do with reps going to players who deserve them in training camp. Terrance Williams seemingly hit the rookie wall this year, but with a year under his belt he should come on strong next year. Beasley should also be pretty well developed going into his 3rd year.

The annoying thing is that we probably still need to address the running back situation still. And that certainly complicates things. If the right running back is there, I'd even take one in the 1st, which goes against everything I said about the offensive/defensive lines, and what I've said about drafting running backs in the 1st round. Can you find a running back in any round? Sure, but it's obviously going to be more successful doing so as early as possible.

Basically a lot of things have to happen, and we shouldn't get too attached to certain players because we need to see some change and improvement.

We are not getting rid of anybody, especially Demarcus Ware, Brandon Carr or Anthony Spencer. Ratliff is gone and Mackenzy will be re-structured or we'll let him walk as I agree we draft a guard early. IMO - Miles will be brought back as well for the right price. He has zero leverage anywhere with those hammy's.

Lazyking

Reaction score
If there was no salary cap do you think anyone would start a thread listing him as one of the key players to cut?

Well it wouldn't be a money issue. Still, the only real reason we're discussing it is because Ware is hurt all the time. If he was playing at a pro bowl level, 16 games a year no one would say anything.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Let me respond to quite a few of you in general.

You or at least the thinking like yours is the reason why we are year after year an average/mediocre team.

I'm a fan of Ware and even Carr for that matter, but I'm also a bigger fan of winning. It's simple economics here, neither of those players are worth what we are paying them. And the money you give them takes away from another position, thus weakening those positions. Even if you draft well, that continues to be true.

People saying give Ware one more year... let me tell you what's wrong with that. Giving Ware one more year, at his current salary, is simply taking yet another year away from Romo, when he ultimately doesn't perform. We have zero pass rush, even with Ware out there. It's time to spread the wealth to the entire defensive line.

We put 20 million into our bookends this year, and we've gotten more out of Selvie... Throw in Ratliff and you're probably at 25 million. You spread that out towards some actual youthful talented players and draft at that position, and you're going to see a much better defensive line.

The reason I release Carr is so that you can put more money towards the defensive line. You fix the pass rush, and your corners are going to be a lot better. It's why you see Terence Newman playing much better football in Cincinnati.

I'd much rather start Claiborne and Scandrick with a massive pass rush than Carr and scandrick/claiborne with the defensive line we have now or the makeshift defensive line we would try to put together while retaining carr and ware.

I said we can get one more year out of Doug Free, because signing his replacement would be cost prohibitive, and having to focus a draft pick to get a starter to replace him would subtract from our ability to add defensive linemen and a guard, and maybe even a running back.

It's about opportunity costs which many of you have exhibited you don't understand.

Someone challenged whether my numbers were accurate, I'd suggest they relook at the numbers.

unsportsmanlikeconduct

Reaction score
At this point in the season while I'm not ruling out making the playoffs, I believe we will, but I honestly don't think we're going to be able to compete with playoff caliber teams... at least not the way we are playing right now. Dunbar appearing to breakout gave me short lived hope, but obviously that didn't last.

Miles Austin - Cutting Austin in June saves us 5.5 million dollars in 2014, and 4.53 million in 2015, 12.5 million in 2016) Based on our salary cap situation, I don't see how this guy is here any longer.
DeMarcus Ware (save about 12 million cutting ware in June, and another 12 million in 2014, and then 14 million in 2015 and 2016 respectively)
Anthony Spencer*
Mackenzy Bernadeau (Dude costs 3.5 million next year if we keep him... nuff said)

When you combine these four players with the likes of Ratliff, you have a complete vacuum of resources against our salary cap, that isn't being filled by their production.

I put asterix on Spencer, because I could see us resigning him to a really comfortable 1 year deal given that I don't think ANYONE will pay him for the multi year deal that he will want, and I think his best deal is probably staying here and trying to earn his final contract (which I still wouldn't give him).

Surprise cut: Brandon Carr

That might stun some people, especially after he had yet another clutch interception late in the game against Oakland, but the simple reality is we aren't getting anywhere with these cornerbacks. They don't fit the system, and without enough resources dedicated towards the pass rush, this defense simply isn't going anywhere.

Quite frankly the guy just gets paid entirely too much money for a player who again quite frankly gets beat too much. Cutting him in June saves cost 4.717 million, saving us 7.5 million this year. It doesn't save us much for 2015, but then reopens the salary cap in 2016.

I think a lot of our season next year relies on our ability to finish reforming this offensive line, and completely reforming the defensive line (that probably includes Hatcher, who I don't think we're going to be able to afford). It would be a great help if Waters could return again next year, but clearly we can't rely on that (nor can we rely on him staying healthy).

As I've been saying Rounds 1-3 are G/DT/DE

We might be able to use Doug Free for one more year as long as we upgrade a guard spot. Even if Waters comes back, and plays like he did last year, I'd still draft someone to push/replace Leary.

Miles Austin just needs to be gone. Can't wait to see what we can do with reps going to players who deserve them in training camp. Terrance Williams seemingly hit the rookie wall this year, but with a year under his belt he should come on strong next year. Beasley should also be pretty well developed going into his 3rd year.

The annoying thing is that we probably still need to address the running back situation still. And that certainly complicates things. If the right running back is there, I'd even take one in the 1st, which goes against everything I said about the offensive/defensive lines, and what I've said about drafting running backs in the 1st round. Can you find a running back in any round? Sure, but it's obviously going to be more successful doing so as early as possible.

Basically a lot of things have to happen, and we shouldn't get too attached to certain players because we need to see some change and improvement.

Sounds like you are giving up on the season. Why not support the Chicago Bears with another quitter, Ratliff.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Sounds like you are giving up on the season. Why not support the Chicago Bears with another quitter, Ratliff.

As I said, I'm not giving up on anything, that saying from the way this team has played, and the way they are playing, I don't see us winning a super bowl. This offense hasn't been able to do much since Denver. Losing Waters was a huge loss for us, and we're getting no production now.

Defense can't stop the pass. You put a legit quarterback against this defense, and we're losing.

Proximo

Reaction score

All of this is so true. It never ceases to amaze me how short sighted and impatient such a large portion of our fan base is. Remember last season when all we heard was how bad Tyron was on the left side and needed moved back to RT? Remember after Witten's spleen injury and slow start we needed to "move on" from him? Or how bout how Dez was too dumb and immature to be elite? The list is endless.

Thank God these fans aren't running the show. Our draft picks are declared busts before they even get a chance to prove themselves, and the moment out vets don't look good they're "washed up". All you can do is shake your head.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
All of this is so true. It never ceases to amaze me how short sighted and impatient such a large portion of our fan base is. Remember last season when all we heard was how bad Tyron was on the left side and needed moved back to RT? Remember after Witten's spleen injury and slow start we needed to "move on" from him? Or how bout how Dez was too dumb and immature to be elite? The list is endless.

Thank God these fans aren't running the show. Our draft picks are declared busts before they even get a chance to prove themselves, and the moment out vets don't look good they're "washed up". All you can do is shake your head.

Ware will be 32 next year, his health problems have gotten worse every year, his production is getting worse and worse...

No one is saying he can't play, but keeping him on the team is betting the farm on him, and I'm not coming from a position where I want to mortgage Romo's years for DeMarcus Ware on the off chance he is able to stay healthy a year older and after even more injuries have been sustained by him this year... That's a childish decision.

Selvie has more sacks than him... If you'd rather see Ware in a dallas jersey than see the cowboys win games, please say so, but don't sit here and suggest that keeping ware makes sense from a financial standpoint.

Proximo

Reaction score
Ware will be 32 next year, his health problems have gotten worse every year, his production is getting worse and worse...

No one is saying he can't play, but keeping him on the team is betting the farm on him, and I'm not coming from a position where I want to mortgage Romo's years for DeMarcus Ware on the off chance he is able to stay healthy a year older and after even more injuries have been sustained by him this year... That's a childish decision.

Selvie has more sacks than him... If you'd rather see Ware in a dallas jersey than see the cowboys win games, please say so, but don't sit here and suggest that keeping ware makes sense from a financial standpoint.

Why are you quoting me? I didn't say anything about Ware. I was commenting in general about our fan bases' short sightedness and impatience.

And as far as Ware's concerned, he shouldn't be cut or released until we have a viable replacement. Which we do not. The last thing we need right now is more holes on the D line. And besides, we have no idea how well he'll play during these last 4 games.

I want the Cowboys to win games above all else, and there's no logical way you could conclude with 100% certainty that getting rid of Ware this coming offseason equates to more wins. We need someone to replace him and the void he'll leave. We don't have that right now.

dallasdave

Reaction score

Well said, stay thirsty my friend.

DavidS

Reaction score
or at least tell him why you think he's wrong.

Okay

DeMarcus Ware - WRONG!!!
Anthony Spencer*

Surprise cut: Brandon Carr WRONG!!!

:)

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
As I said, I'm not giving up on anything, that saying from the way this team has played, and the way they are playing, I don't see us winning a super bowl. This offense hasn't been able to do much since Denver. Losing Waters was a huge loss for us, and we're getting no production now.

Defense can't stop the pass. You put a legit quarterback against this defense, and we're losing.

I think this discussion is a little early and better suited for the off season. But on a day when the Cowboys are off, its a good topic to here the fans point of views, (which are all over the place).

When you look at performance, cap issues, and injuries this team will have a lot decisions to make in the off season. There will have to be some big changes in Dallas if Jerry Jones wants to sign, DEZ, Tyron Smith, Hatcher, Spencer or try to get a top DL to come in. Money will be tight regardless and cuts will have to happen someplace. I know Jerry can restructure the whole teams contracts to save countless money on the cap, and that is a bigger problem than keeping or cutting DWARE. The first step has got to be and without a doubt....take the check book and pen away from Jerry Jones