Looks like a bad year for Will McClay

quickccc

Reaction score
Worst draft since 2012. That class was terrible.

We got 2 injury prone players (Crawford and Claiborne) that where at best average starters when healthy. Crawford we spent high money on and Claiborne we spent high draft picks on.

God awful class

don't you mean the 2009 draft class ?
Jason Williams LB
Robert Brewster OL
Stephen McGee QB
Victor Butler LB
Brandon Williams DE
DeAngelo Smith DB
Stephen Hodge LB
Mike Mickens DB
Manuel Johnson ?
John Phillips TE
Michael Hamlin S
David Buehler K

The epidome example of of Quantities over Quality.
Loaded up on all these draft picks but didnt' do a damn thing well with them. And yet I always hear some fans wanting to keep trading down in the draft just for the sake of
acquiring and stockpiling draft picks. :thumbdown:

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
don't you mean the 2009 draft class ?
Jason Williams LB
Robert Brewster OL
Stephen McGee QB
Victor Butler LB
Brandon Williams DE
DeAngelo Smith DB
Stephen Hodge LB
Mike Mickens DB
Manuel Johnson ?
John Phillips TE
Michael Hamlin S
David Buehler K

The epidome example of of Quantities over Quality.
Loaded up on all these draft picks but didnt' do a damn thing well with them. And yet I always hear some fans wanting to keep trading down in the draft just for the sake of
acquiring and stockpiling draft picks. :thumbdown:

Was a notoriously weak overall draft. Good teams typically trade up or trade out of weak drafts. Jerry kept trading down, acquiring more and more picks, and other teams just let him. As bad a draft result as there has ever been. But don't worry, there were tons of fans here swearing we nailed it.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Anyone that isn't seriously concerned about Trystan Hill at this point is just burying their head in the sand. Dude isn't on the active roster most games, and can't get on the field because he's such a liability at this point. Top it off with some telling signs that he doesn't care about football.
who said I am concerned, but the response was to the OP regarding the entire draft being a waste, after 7 games....and I am not ready to throw him out yet.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Eh, it reeks of premature evaluation, but that's just my opinion.
Perhaps but Taco is already gone and Hill will need a miraculous turn around. Not so sure about premature. I’d argue there’s enough stench to call it out.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
absolutely, And that’s true for almost all teams. I’m just saying he’s still (even with some whiffs) doing as good or better than everyone else
Maybe so but I’m not sure if doing as good as everyone else assuming you’re referring to Jerry, Stephen and Jason is a strong vote of confidence.

starfan1

Reaction score
Hey. Lets be real here. Mcclay gives the player reports. The coaches weigh in and draft. Hill was a ROD choice. Cant blame Mcclay for stupidity on the coaching side
don't let fish hear that he says the opposite on the fan

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I love me some Will McClay, but this can't happen again if we're going to pay big money to multiple players.

Trysten Hill is a B-U-S-T. They need to cut bait there fast. There's no "other" side to that dude. One tackle. He sucks.

Connor McGovern has a history of injuries, and might never see the field here. He wasn't beloved at Penn State at all.

Pollard is nice.

Michael Jackson is a Chief now.

Joe Jackson is just a guy.

Donovan Wilson is a maybe.

Jalen Jelks is bye-bye in the car-car.

After years of fantastic drafts and one Taco "oops", this draft looks dry as a bone. Not good.
First year diagnosis isn’t the plan. Never has been.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Hill's reputation was as a malcontent in college.

He's sleeping in meetings and showing up late. He's got one measly tackle and had to sit out games on coaches decision.

He gets DESTROYED off the ball. He offers zero pass rush. And worst of all, he doesn't seem to even care. Like's he's got David Irving's attitude toward football.

Bust.
He certainly is thus far.

817Gill

Reaction score
I think we forget how entrenched the starters are on this team. Like what rookie is gonna come in and start on this team other than a SS? There was Literally only 1 possible position where a guy was going to come in and start. Other than that this starting lineup is built. 2019 was a depth and future impact draft.

And why do you expect late round guys to come in and produce year one? Especially on a playoff team, lol you’re outta pocket with this on OP

Diehardblues

Reaction score
First year diagnosis isn’t the plan. Never has been.
As fans we can certainly make some observations early in their career without having to draw final conclusions.

Is there any fans that sees Hill meeting his draft slot at this time? Lol

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
My mistake. The pick they traded for Quinn is for 2020.

Now that I think about it that shouldn't matter either with that rationale. Xavier Woods is considered part of the draft class he was actually drafted in despite using future draft capital to get the pick he was drafted with.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Pretty obvious you didn't read through this thread.
Other than Pollard, we have precious little to show for this ENTIRE DRAFT CLASS. That’s pathetic and this draft will go down in Cowboys lore as the worst and most-botched ever to this point.

quickccc

Reaction score
Was a notoriously weak overall draft. Good teams typically trade up or trade out of weak drafts. Jerry kept trading down, acquiring more and more picks, and other teams just let him. As bad a draft result as there has ever been. But don't worry, there were tons of fans here swearing we nailed it.

was that draft class weak ? .., or were we just a weak-drafting team ?

None of those players even made a difference on any other NFL team. That's why we have to take a long look at ourselves. :(

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
will go down in Cowboys lore as the worst and most-botched ever to this point.

Ehhh.

I'm a draft nut and one of the biggest critics here, and I don't agree with that.

This draft class will always be linked to the Amari Cooper trade for one.

Two, we've had far worse draft classes. Jerry has had some horrendous classes.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Other than Pollard, we have precious little to show for this ENTIRE DRAFT CLASS. That’s pathetic and this draft will go down in Cowboys lore as the worst and most-botched ever to this point.
Kinda looking like the 2009 special teams draft except for Pollard.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
was that draft class weak ? .., or were we just a weak-drafting team ?

None of those players even made a difference on any other NFL team. That's why we have to take a long look at ourselves. :(
Go back and look at the 2009 draft on wiki. It was a bad draft overall.

We handled it completely wrong so the answer is both.