Looks like a bad year for Will McClay

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Why do people consider Amari Cooper part of the draft class for some reason, but not Robert Quinn? They traded for him with draft capital as well.

Excellent point. Although, no one is expecting much from a 6th round pick. People expect much from a 1st round pick. So, that is probably why.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
You can thank RM for Hill. We will be better when he’s no longer in the draft room.

People keep up with that false narrative.

Richard wanted him too. Saw fixing the line as far more important than getting a safety.

Proof

Reaction score
Will IMO is over rated. I mean take the top picks away and you really have average players to below. I'll give him some love but those calling him a draft genius? Really?

take away the top picks? Why? That’s his bread and butter and has been at or near the top of the league in success rate. Sure you’d like to see more consistency from top to bottom, but he’s been EXTREMELY good overall.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I love me some Will McClay, but this can't happen again if we're going to pay big money to multiple players.

Trysten Hill is a B-U-S-T. They need to cut bait there fast. There's no "other" side to that dude. One tackle. He sucks.

Connor McGovern has a history of injuries, and might never see the field here. He wasn't beloved at Penn State at all.

Pollard is nice.

Michael Jackson is a Chief now.

Joe Jackson is just a guy.

Donovan Wilson is a maybe.

Jalen Jelks is bye-bye in the car-car.

After years of fantastic drafts and one Taco "oops", this draft looks dry as a bone. Not good.
All contributing factors why we’ve taken a step back this year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
take away the top picks? Why? That’s his bread and butter and has been at or near the top of the league in success rate. Sure you’d like to see more consistency from top to bottom, but he’s been EXTREMELY good overall.
Yea but all it takes is for a few bad drafts to set us back. I’d say a couple misses in our first pick in recent years is already setting us back.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Your threads just get worse and worse.

Years ago you were at Antwaun Woods level of OK starter but now you've devolved to below Nick Golden Cock Hayen's worst game...
E calls it like he sees it. Some are positive , some are not.

Not everyone wants to be a cheerleader. Lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is one of those, "I want to vent, but everything is covered, so let me come up with something that really isn't worth venting about," post
I think our last two top picks in draft are worthy of criticism and this years draft except for Pollard certainly doesn’t appear to be helping us thus far.

All it takes is for a few misses at top pick to set us back. 2 out of last 3 drafts is certainly a concern IMO.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think our last two top picks in draft are worthy of criticism and this years draft except for Pollard certainly doesn’t appear to be helping us thus far.

All it takes is for a few misses at top pick to set us back. 2 out of last 3 drafts is certainly a concern IMO.
Eh, it reeks of premature evaluation, but that's just my opinion.

erod

Reaction score
Im also a Penn State grad. And I’m a member of the alumni association. And I watch penn state games with Penn State fans.

Again, he didn’t have injury problems in college and I haven’t heard many people who think he wasn’t a good player. Then again, how much hype do you expect a 3rd round interior OL player to have? Do you expect a 3rd round OL player to have a ton of fanfare? No 3rd round OL player from any school does. So holding that against McGovern makes zero sense.

again, you’re just making stuff up, or basing your entire analysis of him, off the opinion of your boss. Which btw, would be stupid.
OK, he's not a big injury guy. Still not the point. The draft looks weak as hell. Pollard, and a bunch of nothing. Maybe Donovan Wilson, but preseason does not a great player make.

This draft looks like a swing and a miss after several years of good drafts.

If you're going to pay Jaylon and La'el and Zeke and Dak and Frederick and Tyron and Zack and Lawrence and on and on, you can't afford weak drafts.

We didn't get Jamaal Adams because we wouldn't give up a late 1 and two 2s. In other words....Taco, Trysten, and Connor Williams.

If your picks are that valuable to you, you've got to do better than that.

erod

Reaction score
Eh, it reeks of premature evaluation, but that's just my opinion.
Hill's reputation was as a malcontent in college.

He's sleeping in meetings and showing up late. He's got one measly tackle and had to sit out games on coaches decision.

He gets DESTROYED off the ball. He offers zero pass rush. And worst of all, he doesn't seem to even care. Like's he's got David Irving's attitude toward football.

Bust.

HungryLion

Reaction score
OK, he's not a big injury guy. Still not the point. The draft looks weak as hell. Pollard, and a bunch of nothing. Maybe Donovan Wilson, but preseason does not a great player make.

This draft looks like a swing and a miss after several years of good drafts.

If you're going to pay Jaylon and La'el and Zeke and Dak and Frederick and Tyron and Zack and Lawrence and on and on, you can't afford weak drafts.

We didn't get Jamaal Adams because we wouldn't give up a late 1 and two 2s. In other words....Taco, Trysten, and Connor Williams.

If your picks are that valuable to you, you've got to do better than that.

I won’t argue your concerns about the Hill pick. The Hill pick still bugs me to this day. They clearly did not take best player available and reached on a project DT rather than taking safeties who were ready to start day one.

it was a stupid pick IMO.

I just had to argue against the McGovern thoughts. He is hurt which sucks. But I do think he is going to be a good starter in the NFL. I am open to hearing concerns about whether the Cowboys needed him or not. The way it looks now, barring injury to one of the OL starters. . Next year, Either a second round pick (Connor williams) or a third round pick (McGovern) is going to be a primary backup and not starting.

nobody thought La’el collins would sign such a team friendly deal though.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
hey all he needs is a7 games to prove its all a waste...what else could they complain about....its a Whine and Cheese party seemingly these days at the forum

Anyone that isn't seriously concerned about Trystan Hill at this point is just burying their head in the sand. Dude isn't on the active roster most games, and can't get on the field because he's such a liability at this point. Top it off with some telling signs that he doesn't care about football.

Tussinman

Reaction score
We will be lucky to get 2 decent players out of this draft, not a Pro Bowl player or even starter but contributor
Worst draft since 2012. That class was terrible.

We got 2 injury prone players (Crawford and Claiborne) that where at best average starters when healthy. Crawford we spent high money on and Claiborne we spent high draft picks on.

God awful class

quickccc

Reaction score
Why do people consider Amari Cooper part of the draft class for some reason, but not Robert Quinn? They traded for him with draft capital as well.

two different years I guess ...
- the Cooper trade came in 2018 last year
- While the Quinn trade came just this offseason year in 2019

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I love me some Will McClay, but this can't happen again if we're going to pay big money to multiple players.

Trysten Hill is a B-U-S-T. They need to cut bait there fast. There's no "other" side to that dude. One tackle. He sucks.

Connor McGovern has a history of injuries, and might never see the field here. He wasn't beloved at Penn State at all.

Pollard is nice.

Michael Jackson is a Chief now.

Joe Jackson is just a guy.

Donovan Wilson is a maybe.

Jalen Jelks is bye-bye in the car-car.

After years of fantastic drafts and one Taco "oops", this draft looks dry as a bone. Not good.

He nailed Dak Prescott in the 4th round and saved our franchise. One of the best picks in Cowboys history.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I think there is more than enough evidence at this point to at least opine that we may have made a mistake with Hill. He couldn't get active despite an opportunity at DT. He only then became active when Crawford got hurt. He logs limited minutes in games and then it turns out he may have some of those same issues off the field that he had at UCF that people were concerned with.

This thing is certainly not trending the right way.
No there is not enough evidence. Like at all.

Proof

Reaction score
Yea but all it takes is for a few bad drafts to set us back. I’d say a couple misses in our first pick in recent years is already setting us back.

absolutely, And that’s true for almost all teams. I’m just saying he’s still (even with some whiffs) doing as good or better than everyone else